Floyd rose trem help please

What's Hot
axewoundaxewound Frets: 0

Hi I've been noodling around for a year or two and have just entered the world of a Floyd rose trem. My first guitar with one on(Charvel san dimas pro mod) love the guitar .. only got it yesterday but it feels great.... but..

The problem I have is that if I give it a bit of whammy bar action in either direction the trem will remain sharp / flat and I then need to tap / pull the bar ever so slightly to get it back in tune, which is does perfectly when I do the gentle tap / pull ... is this something that is normal .. I always assumed it would just come back to a "resting point" in tune each time... and if its not normal how do I fix it?

I have changed my strings to 10's from the 9's supplied and adjusted the bridge, claw at the back, intonation truss rod etc etc (did a guitar set up course a few years back and good old Google helped remind me) so the trem block is level with the body, so parallel as I think it should be, although it does sit a little proud of the body. strings stretched etc etc

It's not a real problem but I know its the kind of thing that will drive me nuts over time

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72244
    If it's sticking in the same direction as the last movement of the arm, there's some friction somewhere there shouldn't be, at the bridge end.

First, are the springs set straight or in a 'fan' shape? If the latter, put them straight - they can twist on their mounts very slightly otherwise, and make the bridge stick out of position.

If that's OK, have a careful look around the bridge block and the springs to see if there's anywhere there is contact with the body - there should be clear space all around it so the only points it touches anything are the two pivot posts.

If both those are OK, unfortunately it sounds like the pivot knife edges or the grooves they fit into may be worn or blunt - this is common on cheaper Floyds, and made worse by adjusting the post height under string tension which you should always avoid.

If it is the knife edges, try putting some light oil in the contact points. If that still doesn't work you will probably need to try to re-sharpen the edges, or replace the posts if it's those which are damaged.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11570
    tFB Trader
    OR - the springs are not under enough tension when at rest so the zero point isn't as clearly defined . I would rather have 2 springs stretched out under more tension than 3 almost closed up in the zero position.

Not all floyd springs are the same and your Floyd will be the far eastern made version. As daft as it sounds seek out a set of the "proper" Schaller springs for Floyd. They have less tension quite often and need to be put under more tension but the result has always been good.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axewoundaxewound Frets: 0

Thanks for the replys im at work and wont be able to look at the guitar until tonight but thinking about it the springs although not loose didtnt seem ultra tight.. my thoughts when closing it up where that the claw was getting close to the wood of the body and the springs appeared to be a bit "long" .. ill try and source some Schaller springs and see what happens

• axewoundaxewound Frets: 0
    And of course have a look around in there nothing appeared to be fowling on the body but ill double check