Jay Jay French of Twisted Sister on ageing rock bands

freakboy1610freakboy1610 Frets: 1207
edited April 2018 in Music
I read this article today and it made me laugh. To be fair, he makes some good points. He's unlikely to make any new friends though!
http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/twisted-sisters-jay-jay-french-says-judas-priest-and-foreigner-have-turned-into-cover-bands/

Link to my trading feedback
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    I used to think Twisted Sister were a bit of a joke band, based on their image.

Then I saw some video of them playing live and realised I couldn't possibly have been more wrong.

I completely agree with him too - I've recently seen two gigs, one of which was great because it was a band going out on a high while they still could (albeit lacking one original member), and the other wasn't because it was an old man who could no longer really do the full-on rock stuff even with a much younger band, and it just sounded like a tribute act.

Black Sabbath - great.

Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow - hmmm...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16255
    ICBM said:
    I used to think Twisted Sister were a bit of a joke band, based on their image.

Then I saw some video of them playing live and realised I couldn't possibly have been more wrong.

I completely agree with him too - I've recently seen two gigs, one of which was great because it was a band going out on a high while they still could (albeit lacking one original member), and the other wasn't because it was an old man who could no longer really do the full-on rock stuff even with a much younger band, and it just sounded like a tribute act.

Black Sabbath - great.

Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow - hmmm...
    I recommend the film Twisted F*****g Sister which gives some context as to how hard working and what a successful live band they were. Dee Snider was also one of the main people who were outspoken against the PMRC. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    I never liked their glam make up look but Dee Snider is a great guy. Yeah the documentary is worth a look, I saw it on Netflix. I think that Jay Jay is right but I defend any band's right to still play if they want to. Just don't go if you don't like it.
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5827
    I don't like any of those glam rock bands, I find them embarrassing. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    axisus said:

I think that Jay Jay is right but I defend any band's right to still play if they want to. Just don't go if you don't like it.
    To be honest, if I'd known what Blackmore was going to be like I might not have, and I wouldn't again.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2243
    edited April 2018
    Dee Snider weighed in recently too on why Twisted Sister split - Think it was something Tom Araya from slayer said about being unable to headbang. Dee said i don't want to be caught on camera as an old man with gravity taking its toll on me. 

I've got a lot of time for Dee, he seems to be a very together person.

Edit - its actually at the bottom of the article posted. I read two split ones originally :)
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    I think he talks a lot of sense, although there's an element of pot/kettle as TS only recently retired despite not having released a proper album for 30 years.  But fair play, they still had all the original members.

The comments about the Stones are priceless.