Boss Harmonist PS-6

What's Hot
OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
What's people's experience of these? I borrowed one of these off a mate for a try out thinking I might be able to use it to recreate harmony lines live. That turned out to be a bit ambitious on my part, but regardless of that I was somewhat dissapointed with the pedal in general.

In Harmony mode the tracking isn't great and goes wobbly every so often, particularly with low notes and and unison bends. It also sounds a bit poor when using it as a pitchshifter to tune down the guitar a 4th, 5th or octave. Again sound gets wobbly and lacks clarity and definition and with no dry signal mixed in it starts to modulate. It does sound a bit better/tighter with some dirt, clean seems to expose it.

I also ran it in pitchshift mode in comparison to my EHX Pitchfork (which doesn't do the harmony bit) and the Pitchfork sounds so much better, greater consistency in the tracking and still sounds good and solid even with no dry signal in the mix. The Pitchfork's effected signal sounds more guitar like whereas the Boss sounds really over digitized/processed and just wobbly. I can use the Picthfork to turn my standard tuned guitar into an A or B tuned baritone (clean sound with 100% FX mix). The Boss just doesn't sound right in this situation. Maybe I'm doing something wrong or something's faulty, although a google search seems to reveal a lot of similar experiences, what's yours?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• althyalthy Frets: 92
    did you plug it in your fx loop?
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1816
    Pitchfork can do harmony. It looks fiddly but you can set it to a given, blended interval and use an expression pedal to adjust intervals relative to the scale if needed. There are demo videos showing how to do it.

I've only used the digital version of the Harmonist within the Boss GT units and found the same problems you've documented. Pitchfork is far superior.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6053
    It does sound a bit better/tighter with some dirt, clean seems to expose it.

Sounds like putting a compressor in front might help it.
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9687
    Pitchfork can do harmony. It looks fiddly but you can set it to a given, blended interval and use an expression pedal to adjust intervals relative to the scale if needed. There are demo videos showing how to do it.

I've only used the digital version of the Harmonist within the Boss GT units and found the same problems you've documented. Pitchfork is far superior.
    I have a momentary switch with two expression pots in to switch between major and minor thirds or sixths however playing that or an expression pedal in real time changing with each note is bloody hard work
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3671
    I have a PS-5 which I use for very occasional harmonies, but I did play around with some of the weirder stuff that it did and it really seemed fine. As I understand it the PS-6 is polyphonic whereas the PS-5 is monophonic. Perhaps that additional tracking is hard for it.

Have you moved it around in your chain?  Some people find it works better after dirt, although mine is second in the chain after the compressor.
    edited April 2018

I have a momentary switch with two expression pots in to switch between major and minor thirds or sixths however playing that or an expression pedal in real time changing with each note is bloody hard work
    I can't say I'm surprised to hear that. 

I would personally just use my pitchfork for 4th or 5ths (or octaves) and not bother with anything more complicated. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    If you have the space a whammy V is the undisputed king for all things pitch related
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    althy said:
    did you plug it in your fx loop?
    No, would this make any difference to it's ability to track though? I've a Hot Rod Deville and I've never been a fan of the FX loop on it (seems a bit hissy) so I run all my pedals in front.
    I have a PS-5 which I use for very occasional harmonies, but I did play around with some of the weirder stuff that it did and it really seemed fine. As I understand it the PS-6 is polyphonic whereas the PS-5 is monophonic. Perhaps that additional tracking is hard for it.

Have you moved it around in your chain?  Some people find it works better after dirt, although mine is second in the chain after the compressor.
    PS-6 is supposedly monophonic in harmony mode, it's polyphonic in pitchshifter mode although still a bit sloppy with chords. I think the dirt just covers up it's sloppiness. Clean it can't keep up with the Pitchfork, with dirt the difference between the two is less noticable.

I would personally just use my pitchfork for 4th or 5ths (or octaves) and not bother with anything more complicated. 
    Yep, was interesting to compare the two and see how good the Pitchfork actually is. I'd been looking at recreating some harmony lines I've written for new material with my band, but I think live I'll just play the more dominant harmony lines and use the Pitchfork with octave up or down to create a psuedo duel guitar line effect.

If you have the space a whammy V is the undisputed king for all things pitch related
    I've heard it's supposed to be the best, but a bit big for me.

But no good for harmony playing though, I think the feature to set the key and the harmonies to work based on that is what the OP was hoping for. I had the Behringer knock off of the Boss when I was going through a bit of a Brian May phase, which is why I got the momentary switch expression thing, you can't do that kind of harmony playing with 4ths, 5ths or 8ves
    To be fair I think I was being a bit ambitous expecting a pedal covering harmony lines. The Boss is ok if you stay in one key, but I've got harmony lines that are in F#m then move to Cmaj7.
    Octafish said:
    To be fair I think I was being a bit ambitous expecting a pedal covering harmony lines. The Boss is ok if you stay in one key, but I've got harmony lines that are in F#m then move to Cmaj7.
    Blimey that's an unexpected key change?!
    Octafish said:
    Blimey that's an unexpected key change?!
    Ha, ha not quite as unusual as it looks/sounds and no, we're not a jazz band =) !
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    I noticed the PS-6 was significantly better further down the chain.
    Going first it was iffy.  But so long as it had a bit of oomph to drive it -- either clean from a compressor or after OD -- then it was fine.  Really good I thought. 
    Octafish said:
    You would need a multi effects with different patches for that. I know that my Boss GT 100 could be set up with patches for different keys for the harmonist.
  • I love the Boss pedal but it has to be in the loop.
  • althyalthy Frets: 92
    I love the Boss pedal but it has to be in the loop.
    had the same experience, sounded as good as harmonizer can sound in my F50's loop
    also harmonizers only seem to work (for classic sounds) with active pups or heavy  humbuckers
    edited April 2018
    WIll being in the FX loop make it track any better? Yeah no fan of or owner of a guitar with active pickups or humbuckers so I'm going to struggle there.

As I posted further up, I'm think I'm expecting to much of it as a harmoniser anyway as I need it to go over key changes. Pitchfork definitely is a better tracking and sounding pitchshifter and doesn't need to go in FX loop and single coil friendly.
  • Pete24vPete24v Frets: 235
    Grunfeld said:
    I noticed the PS-6 was significantly better further down the chain.
    Going first it was iffy.  But so long as it had a bit of oomph to drive it -- either clean from a compressor or after OD -- then it was fine.  Really good I thought. 
    yep, i have one on the end of my board, for some reason it didn't do too well at the start.