Hayden Petite Blonde - 2 watt thing.

What's Hot
DodgeDodge Frets: 1436
Anyone got any experience with these?  Just had a punt and won one.  It's an ECC83 into 6V6, single volume and tone and a 3 way switch for varying gain boosts (preamp cathode capacitor choices I believe).  12" speaker (Celestion Seventy 80 - no experience with these, but they seem to be 'budget' speakers).

All point to point wired etc. in a fugly cabinet with a weird sloping rear mounted control panel.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1631

££?

Dave.

• DodgeDodge Frets: 1436
    ecc83 said:

££?

Dave.

£89.
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1816
    Seventy 80 is a very flat speaker. Works well with some amps for some sounds esp modelling amps. Doesn't work well with others combinations, particularly if you're after a vintage sound. 

I actually prefer my seventy 80 1x12 with my Blackstar HT 50 head than various vintage 30 cabs I've used in rehearsal rooms but perhaps that's because it's the sound I'm used to. 

Let us know what it sounds like. 
    Will do - thanks.  Very little info available online, they seem to have come with 10" as well as 12" speakers, sometimes Greenbacks, sometimes Seventy 80, sometimes Rocket 50.  Shame it doesn't have a Greenback but we'll see how it sounds.

I've got a couple of 60's AC30's so I can always run it through them if the speaker is no good and I need to replace it.

I thought it could be quite fun for home, and I can always get the soldering iron out to tweak the circuit.

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7338
    How loud is a 40watt bulb?
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    How loud is a 40watt bulb?
    Dunno. Bit louder than a @57Deluxe ?
    Well, it's now with me.  What an absolute hoot!

Really simple amp, overdrives in an old school way at sensible volume levels.  The 3 way gain switch adds none, one or two cathode bypass caps on the preamp stage(s).  The speaker actually isn't too bad a match, I'm yet to try it through the Alnico Blues or Silvers, but I will do in the next few weeks.

The two gain boosts are great at lower volumes, but they don't have a positive contribution at full chat - although it's already driving hard at that stage.  Adding more gain just pushes it into a mushy mess.

It actually brought back fond memories of my old Emery Sound Superbaby, it has that same simple low watt amp thing going on.   So much fun getting bite and drive without upsetting the family.

Anyway, will post a more detailed review when I've spent a bit more time with it
  • I've had one for a few months, they're actually a 2 Watt amp but don't be fooled it can't be played in an apartment situation which is why I bought it but it's too loud. The sweet spot where it starts to break up is upsetting my neighbours. It's a shame because they sound really nice when they reach that level, it's back to the ME-80 and headphones.
    Felixq78 said:
    I've had one for a few months, they're actually a 2 Watt amp but don't be fooled it can't be played in an apartment situation which is why I bought it but it's too loud. The sweet spot where it starts to break up is upsetting my neighbours. It's a shame because they sound really nice when they reach that level, it's back to the ME-80 and headphones.
    I ended up with two of them.  They were good fun, but ultimately they didn't sound anywhere near as good as my bigger amps through an attenuator for similar volume levels, so they were sold.  One of them had a Celestion Rocket 50 installed which ist the single most shit sounding speaker I've ever heard.

I also had a Petite 5 which was described as a handwired amp but was turrets on a PCB.  That was a bit better sounding, but again still not as good as a bigger amp and attentuator.  They all ended up with fellow forumites, and I'm fairly sure they all were moved on too.
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13940
    edited October 2020
    Damn, I misread the post title and thought this was thread a about Hayden Panettiere, who is a petite blonde...

disappointed

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Save the Cheerleader!