LJ20 Help Please!

What's Hot
JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8793
edited April 2018 in Amps
Exciting times at Schloss Moans: my recent eBay snaffle LJ20 just showed up on the back of a UPS wagon. 

Trembling with anticipation I tear into the packaging.  As agreed with the seller he had removed the valves and carefully wrapped and numbered each one, and sent me a diagram showing where to replace them.

Back off, valves all in place as directed, plug in, flick switch and ... nothing, save it tripped out the entire kitchen circuit.  Switched it all off, pulled the tubes out and replaced them again, plugged in, flicked switch and again, nothing from the amp but the trip switch goes.

Clearly something ain't right: I'm no electrician and suspect it's probably something quite simple, but would be grateful for any suggestions..

Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GassageGassage Frets: 30888
    Have you got the reverb plugged into the extension cab socket there?

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9526
    Gassage said:
    x2
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8793
    Thanks for the observations chaps, IS that an extension cab socket?  I can't see anywhere else for the cable from the reverb unit to go..  Think this may be a slightly older model, as it bears only passing resemblance to the guts of the thing in the manual I downloaded (this one has no bass cut switch between the preamp tubes, for example)   Anyway tried unplugging the reverb cable and precisely the same thing happened again :(
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3422
    edited April 2018
    Any of the amp fuses damaged, including the one in the plug? Are they all the correct values? Have you tried plugging it into sockets elsewhere in the house?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30888
    One thing- get a hoover and just run the nozzle around the valve seats with the valves out. Occassionally, an iron filing off the tube legs comes astray and arcs inside those sockets during transit. I have had this happen to me and it makes an almighty mains load and trips everything out.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3144
    edited April 2018 tFB Trader
    Remove all valves, disconnect reverb unit, replace any fuses and try turning it on. If the fuse still blows then it'll need a trip to a tech
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1631

"nothing, save it tripped out the entire kitchen circuit. " Was that an earth trip (RCD) or a current breaker? If the former that is VERY worrying, get the amp PAT tested ASAP . Tell the seller but if there is a short/leak to earth it really should not leave your possession until made safe, even if that means chopping the mains cable off!

Dave.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72304
    Tripping the ring main breaker is worrying - that indicates a fault on the mains side of the power transformer. If it was on the amp side it should blow the amp's fuse rather than trip the breaker - although as Gassage said, if it's bad enough it could do both.

Try what RiftAmps said first, but my guess is it will still trip.

A couple of things to check, which I can't quite see clearly enough in the pic -

Where does the mains earth wire go to inside the amp?

How much clearance is there between the underside of the tag strip where it says 0-120-240 and the chassis?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Thanks chaps: going to work through your advice in order....
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    Any of the amp fuses damaged, including the one in the plug? Are they all the correct values? Have you tried plugging it into sockets elsewhere in the house?
    Tried plugging it in in the man cave and it tripped the RCD there, too.  The fuse in the amp looks fine; am trying a new 5 amp job in the plug...
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    JerkMoans said:

The fuse in the amp looks fine; am trying a new 5 amp job in the plug...
    It won't be that.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 2018
    Thanks for all the suggestions and help, chaps: Jesse at Lazy J reached out and to cut a long story short the amp is going in to him over the weekend for closer consideration.  Remarkably the thing was blowing out the RCD before being switched on: just as soon as I turned on the power at the wal, but before flicking the switch on the amp to 'on'...   I would imagine in electrical terms that is 'not good'.

I've removed the pictures at Jesse's request: hope that's ok.  I will update with findings/progress if anyone is interested.  Apparently it's a v early/old one, made in 2009.  So: "vintage mojo" and all that malarkey.

Bit of a funny day.  Excitement tempered with frustration and anticlimax.  But, worse things happen at sea and all that D

Wiz's duly awarded to all.

Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    ecc83 said:

"nothing, save it tripped out the entire kitchen circuit. " Was that an earth trip (RCD) or a current breaker? If the former that is VERY worrying, get the amp PAT tested ASAP . Tell the seller but if there is a short/leak to earth it really should not leave your possession until made safe, even if that means chopping the mains cable off!

Dave.

The RCD.  Exciting times.  It isn't getting plugged into anything again until it's been thoroughly investigated/fixed by someone who knows what they're doing.  In this case, the guy that built it...

Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    Gassage said:
    x2
    Confirmed: no extension cab socket on this one.  So at least it wasn't that blowing Schloss Moans's fuses :D
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    JerkMoans said:
    Thanks for all the suggestions and help, chaps: Jesse at Lazy J reached out and to cut a long story short the amp is going in to him over the weekend for closer consideration.  Remarkably the thing was blowing out the RCD before being switched on: just as soon as I turned on the power at the wal, but before flicking the switch on the amp to 'on'...   I would imagine in electrical terms that is 'not good'.
    Not remarkable - that most likely indicates a short from the neutral side of the power supply to earth, since only the live side is switched. (I could see that in the pic.) Not extremely dangerous, but not good. In theory there isn't a voltage between neutral and earth - in practice there often is, and it can be enough to cause a leak that will trip the RCD. The one in my workshop is sensitive enough that it will trip with a neutral to earth short as well.

• LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3839
    Gutted for you on your NAD, @JerkMoans , however i guess the great thing about handwired amps is that they can be repaired easily. I've no doubt that Jesse will have it sounding awesome in a jiffy. Just gotta be patient for a day or two. I've heard stories about Jesse's service - if it's an old one, I wouldn't be surprised if he went through it and updated and improved bits and bobs.
    Lebarque said:
    Gutted for you on your NAD, @JerkMoans , however i guess the great thing about handwired amps is that they can be repaired easily. I've no doubt that Jesse will have it sounding awesome in a jiffy. Just gotta be patient for a day or two. I've heard stories about Jesse's service - if it's an old one, I wouldn't be surprised if he went through it and updated and improved bits and bobs.
    Thanks, amigo.

He was quite animated about it: seemed to be looking forward to getting a really old one back, from a time before many of his innovations were installed. Could all turn out rather well in the sense of having the thing worked over by the master.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3839
    JerkMoans said:
    Lebarque said:
    Thanks, amigo.

He was quite animated about it: seemed to be looking forward to getting a really old one back, from a time before many of his innovations were installed. Could all turn out rather well in the sense of having the thing worked over by the master.
    ^ Yep, that's what I think will happen. Let us know how you get on.
  • McTootMcToot Frets: 2042
    Mr Moans - it's a bummer that your new (old-ish) toy hasn't allowed you to play just yet, but threads like this surely serve to re-affirm that there's nothing quite like great customer service, especially from high-profile booteekers. You might pay quite a bit for the amps, but that's a seriously good response from JH.  

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

My trading feedback  - I'm a good egg  ;) 

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9526
    JerkMoans said:
    Lebarque said:
    Thanks, amigo.

Whe I visited Jess' place I got the impression he was quite excited about the 'older' ones for some reason...

He's a top man and will get you sorted.

He repaired my pedal as well in a jiffy.