NAD - one I’ve always wanted is now mine

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• shaunmshaunm Frets: 1597
    57Deluxe said:
    I hope your conservatory is climate controlled??
    It’s always the right temperature in Yorkshire
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1131
    nice one Shaun, glad you landed on something you really wanted, looks like you've been on a bit of a journey of late.
    Making the Mrs go mental is part of the fun, sometimes they need to hear the power you can wield :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @zepp76 yes, it certainly does.

@moltisanti thank you. It has been a bit of a turbulent time gear wise over the last 18 months. Especially with amps and pedals. I think it’s time I took the time to work with what I have. That’s not to say I won’t get anything else but I need to make the best of what I do have. I have always wanted the JTM45 and the Laney Lionheart is the perfect combo for me so between the two of them I think I’m well stocked. My pedal board is pretty close to being bang on for all occasions except maybe a reverb. Perhaps I should stop being an idiot and learn to play instead.
  • MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1131
    Yeah it's easy to go down the rabbit hole but sometimes that 1% difference makes you play 20% better so it's all worth it

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    @Moltisanti you may well be right there, that little bit of inspiration.
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    shaunm said:

@moltisanti thank you. It has been a bit of a turbulent time gear wise over the last 18 months. Especially with amps and pedals. I think it’s time I took the time to work with what I have. That’s not to say I won’t get anything else but I need to make the best of what I do have. I have always wanted the JTM45 and the Laney Lionheart is the perfect combo for me so between the two of them I think I’m well stocked. My pedal board is pretty close to being bang on for all occasions except maybe a reverb. Perhaps I should stop being an idiot and learn to play instead.
    Definitely try a reverb with the JTM, I have a thing for reverb being a massive Peter Green fan and always have a reverb pedal at the ready, it sounds great in front of the amp. I didn't realise you had a Laney Lionheart, I have one too! it seems we have similar tastes.
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    zepp76 said:
    shaunm said:

Definitely try a reverb with the JTM, I have a thing for reverb being a massive Peter Green fan and always have a reverb pedal at the ready, it sounds great in front of the amp. I didn't realise you had a Laney Lionheart, I have one too! it seems we have similar tastes.
    It would seem we do! 

The lionheart is such a good amp isn’t it? Just a great combo. Not Vox like, nor Marshall or even Orange. 

Which reverb are you using? I am toying with the idea of getting a Flint which I am justifying to myself as it’s two pedals in one and I would get rid of my supatrem to cover some of the cost.
    edited April 2018
    shaunm said:
    zepp76 said:
    shaunm said:

It would seem we do! 

The lionheart is such a good amp isn’t it? Just a great combo. Not Vox like, nor Marshall or even Orange. 

Which reverb are you using? I am toying with the idea of getting a Flint which I am justifying to myself as it’s two pedals in one and I would get rid of my supatrem to cover some of the cost.
    I have the Lionheart head played through an Orange 2x12 with V30 speakers, admittedly I haven't really played it much since getting the JTM45 but it's great run clean with the right pedals in front for a bit of David Gilmour tones, shine on is a great song to play (or at least try for me) through it.

i use a few different reverbs, a TC HOF mini, a Strymon Bluesky and a Boss FRV-1, I'm always on the lookout for the next best reverb but I think I'm covered with those pedals although I'd love to try a Fender reverb tank/unit, that'd be the holy grail for me. I've heard nothing but good things about the Flint but I'd be tempted to keep the supatrem (I have one, it's great) and get a separate reverb just for more options, but if space is a premium I couldn't think of a better pedal than the Flint.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72258
    zepp76 said:

Boss FRV-1 ... although I'd love to try a Fender reverb tank/unit, that'd be the holy grail for me.
    Apart from the ability to kick it and make deafening crashing noises, and that it picks up a lot of hum if you're not careful where you place it, there's no real difference. I A/B'd mine with an original '64 Fender reverb unit I was working on a while back, and they were almost indistinguishable apart from by the hum.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    zepp76 said:

Boss FRV-1 ... although I'd love to try a Fender reverb tank/unit, that'd be the holy grail for me.
    Apart from the ability to kick it and make deafening crashing noises, and that it picks up a lot of hum if you're not careful where you place it, there's no real difference. I A/B'd mine with an original '64 Fender reverb unit I was working on a while back, and they were almost indistinguishable apart from by the hum.
    So not worth the money or hassle of searching one out then? I'll stick to my pedals if it's that bad.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72258
    zepp76 said:

So not worth the money or hassle of searching one out then? I'll stick to my pedals if it's that bad.
    Probably not if it's just the sound of the reverb itself you want. It's not *entirely* as simple as that since the hum and 'warmth' of the valve unit does add something to the tone - or take it away, possibly!

It's also probably true that if you're using the real unit in a loud environment that it picks up vibration from the speakers and so it interacts more with the amp - I was only testing at home volume.

But given the size and cost of the real unit - even a reissue one isn't cheap, and will need a replacement NOS valve to work properly since Fender fit the wrong one as stock - I think you'd need to be very much of a vintage reverb purist for it to matter.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I have one of the reissue reverb tanks Fender made in the 90s. It’s a great sound, but pedals can sound just like it, the only thing they don’t nail is how the dynamics of your playing alter the reverb. You can increase the splash just by hitting the strings hard. I’ve yet to find a pedal that does that in the same way. It’s not practical, but for surf sounds, it really is the best thing I’ve heard.
    It’s a one trick pony and if you want anything other than spring reverb it won’t really get you there, plus it always have to be in front of the amp to sound right which can be a pain