Nice weather for necks?

What's Hot
I have two nice electrics, a Suhr and a 335.  I've not had the latter very long but I've noticed that it doesn't have the tuning stability of the Suhr - or even my cheapo Hofner shorty when we have hot weather.

Given the Gibson has locking tuners and the Hofner's are about as cheap as they come, I can't see why the Shorty seems to hold it's tuning quite well whereas the Gibson tends to have gone sharp when I pick it up the next evening.  The Suhr incidentally is amazingly stable and maybe it spoiled me.

I can think of two possibilities, either the Gibson needs a good setup or maple necks are naturally more stable than mahogany.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16665
    Islandape said:
     maple necks are naturally more stable than mahogany.

this
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27447
    WezV said:
    Islandape said:
     maple necks are naturally more stable than mahogany.
    this
    Presumably because maple is harder/denser and therefore less susceptible to changes in temperature/humidity?
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • Thanks Wez
    :-bd
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    I thought mahogany had a higher density than maple? 

My mahogany necked Godin is super stable, I can leave it for a week+ and it will still be in tune.
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • jaygtrjaygtr Frets: 218
    My les Paul stays in tune well, as does my danelectro whereas I don't bother playing my tele without a tweak as a know it won't be in tune when I pick it up.

maple is almost always denser than mahogany.  obviously wood varies, and mahogany varies a hell of a lot.

maple will be fairly stable no matter how its cut whereas mahogany is only really suitable as a guitar neck material when quartersawn, a high percentage of mahogany is completely unsuitable for necks

there are quite a few variables in this but the most quoted is janka hardness.  certainly tells us something about density but not really stiffness - but that is massively affected by the way the wood is cut

Janka hardness:
    oh, and lets not forget the actual neck dimensions either.    you would be a bit daft to try and get a super thin neck out of mahogany (well, you could do it with carbon fibre reinforcement)    

fyi when I talk about mahogany I am referring to the traditional south american varieties.   but mahogany is a generic term.  it includes things like sapelle which is a stiffer wood  and more easy to find straight grained quartersawn planks so it makes it more suitable for necks