1962 Gibson SG Special Valuation Help Wanted

What's Hot
danbandanban Frets: 343
edited April 2018 in Guitar
Hey everyone.

I'm looking at buying a 1962 Gibson SG Special Players condition.

It has had no breaks or a neck reset.

Its been refin'd in White with some wood pinking bleeding through.

Its had a refret, repro machineheads, I'm guessing the pots have replaced and a repro tail wrap around bridge fitted.

It has original pickups and non original hardcase.

it plays and sounds great.

What would you guys value it at?

Photos: https://imgur.com/a/ob9pIDj

Cheers

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 4978
    Are you absolutely sure there’s no breaks hidden under that solid colour finish and do you know why it was refinished? Shame about the pinking coming through and I imagine that will get worse over time. Given the refin, the changes and the unknowns... £1500 ish?
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • danbandanban Frets: 343
    edited April 2018
    Absolutely certain re: no previous breaks as confirmed by a local guitar luthier.
  • OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1673
    edited April 2018
    Imagine it refinished in aged Pelham blue by Yuuki...............

Oooooooh
  • humbuckohumbucko Frets: 179
    Personally I'd save myself the hassle/stress and get one of the custom shop reissues. Bloke on here was selling that exact one recently.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    Are you absolutely sure there’s no breaks hidden under that solid colour finish and do you know why it was refinished? Shame about the pinking coming through and I imagine that will get worse over time. Given the refin, the changes and the unknowns... £1500 ish?
    All this.

first question on a refin Gibson is WHY?? Heel or Headstock crack most common. That’s not a particularly great refin IMO and as @fretfinder says, it’s only going to get worse, it’s the original cherry aniline leaching into the current paint and you’ll end up with a pink SG Special.

Looks like a totally new wiring loom too.

What is the seller asking for it?
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Seller is asking $3700 NZD. I'm a Pom living in New Zealand:
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    It's tricky getting hold of decent non run of the mill stuff here and when you do prices can be a little higher.

The guy originally wanted $4800 for it.

You can import things in for example: 1965 Gibson SG Junior all original will work out at $5400 including postage and customs duty.

• skippy76skippy76 Frets: 615
    Morning @danban IMO $3700 kiwi pesos isn’t too far off if you’re willing to live with the refin issue, for a purchase in NZ. It’s a different ball game there and Aus. 

Cheers and and good luck with it

TC 

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14034
    tFB Trader
    danban said:
    It's tricky getting hold of decent non run of the mill stuff here and when you do prices can be a little higher.

You can import things in for example: 1965 Gibson SG Junior all original will work out at $5400 including postage and customs duty.

fully aware of that - My brother in law lives in Auckland - I've been over 3 times and whilst I love the place, to small a population to have anything like a serious guitar store - as such, those that you have a more mums and pops type of stores
    edited April 2018
    danban said:

fully aware of that - My brother in law lives in Auckland - I've been over 3 times and whilst I love the place, to small a population to have anything like a serious guitar store - as such, those that you have a more mums and pops type of stores
    Exactly that, and secondhand prices in general are crazy!!

Thanks for the help with the cities, my 65 SG got here safe and sound.

I can quite happily live with the refine, just wanted to clarify it wasn't bad money in NZ for one and pickup on any non original bits I hadn't noticed.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14034
    tFB Trader
    danban said:
    danban said:

I can quite happily live with the refine, just wanted to clarify it wasn't bad money in NZ for one and pickup on any non original bits I hadn't noticed.
    I recall the CITES chat etc before you went - hope you are enjoying NZ - I would
    danban said:
    danban said:

I recall the CITES chat etc before you went - hope you are enjoying NZ - I would
    danban said:
    danban said:

danban said:
    danban said:

Again many thanks for taking the time to explain the paperwork to me, wasn't too bad once you get your head around it.

We've started to get settled but haven't really had a chance to stop and take it all in since we arrived last September.

And you are bang on about Mum and pops guitar shops here however I did pick up a lovely new Relic'd Friedman Vintage T which is a cracker!

You get a couple custom shop Gibsons and Fenders pop up from time to time, and if you know who to ask there is a small pocket of vintage ones around too.

I now know where a 54 Goldtop is for $26,000 (£13,000) bit rich for me and a 68 Goldtop for $20,000 (£10,000) plus a few early 70s Deluxes...oh and a refin 63 Strat going for $13,000 (£6500ish)

I'm deviating from the point anyway.

I went to see and play the 1962 Gibson SG Special and couldn't put it down so suffice to say it came home with me.

I took my broken/repaired headstock and neck reset 65 with for comparison as it's had a hard life with a couple of refrets and mods, so good to use as a median line and holy hell the sustain on the 62 was incredible and the note blooms were unreal too.