EL34 Valve Rattle

What's Hot
HHwarnerHHwarner Frets: 137
Iv just been messing around with my 2203 JMP, it has 2 Old Mullard EL34. Iv just noticed that one of the valves, the internals are rattling around. On closer inspection it looks like the points on the micas have eroded away causing it to rattle around in the Glass. I'm guessing these have had it? funny thing is they sound ok
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    My gut reaction is to say if they sound OK there's no problem but if you're gigging this amplifier the last thing you want is for  the valve internals to collapse during your favourite solo ... plus imagine what would happen to the rest of the circuit if the anode touched one of the grids or even the cathode. Boom.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    It shouldn’t be a problem really. It’s very unlikely to get to the point the valve will fail, although the rattle can be annoying at lower volume.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• HHwarnerHHwarner Frets: 137
    edited April 2018
    Low volume is not going to be an issue as it’s my gigging amp. I was more worried about microphonics 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    Don't worry about it until it becomes a problem.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom