Patrick James Eggle - wow

What's Hot
MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1131
edited April 2018 in Guitar
I paid a visit to Sound Affects Premier today, they have got some really nice stuff, Trussart, Knaggs, PRS and several Patrick James Eggle electrics.

This one has a crazy flame top on it and is a trade in so is a LOT less than it would be new. First time i've seen the new Eggle stuff in the flesh and it does look very tasty

If you're up North they're about 10 mins off the M6 near St Helens, well worth a visit, but be warned they have some ace stuff in!

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monkey42monkey42 Frets: 339
    I think this one was owned by at least 2 members here.

nice guitar
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DanRDanR Frets: 1041
    Yup.

My old one.

Was specced by me but was misbuilt as wasn't supposed to have a trem.
    0reaction image LOL 9reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    DanR said:
    Yup.

My old one.

That must be a hard tail to tell....
    28reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1131
    wa-hey! lovely looking guitar, the back is insane

• prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3984
    What's it sound like?
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3047
    prlgmnr said:
    What's it sound like?
    I would guess a guitar..
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    How much were they selling it for? 
  • MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1131
    £2399 so not giving it away but a lot less than a new one I suspect, and open to offers 

£2399 so not giving it away but a lot less than a new one I suspect, and open to offers 
    Compared to a used Suhr, Anderson, PRS or CS Fender, that’s a lot of money....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3984
    Stevepage said:
    prlgmnr said:
    What's it sound like?
    I would guess a guitar..
    It's just as if I went to the shop and heard it in person, thanks for your help.
    11reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ChuckManualChuckManual Frets: 692
    DanR said:
    Yup.

My old one.

I've loved every Eggle I've ever played - but this is not a unique story.
    Not much of the gear, even less idea.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    edited April 2018
    Compared to a used Suhr, Anderson, PRS or CS Fender, that’s a lot of money....

Compared to a used Suhr, Anderson, PRS or CS Fender, that’s a lot of guitar....

Realistically, a better comparison would be Masterbuilt Fender, or possibly even Private Stock PRS.  Good luck finding one of those for £2399*

*unless it's the one lifted from Peach.

crunchman said:

Compared to a used Suhr, Anderson, PRS or CS Fender, that’s a lot of guitar....

Realistically, a better comparison would be Masterbuilt Fender, or possibly even Private Stock PRS.  Good luck finding one of those for £2399*

*unless it's the one lifted from Peach.

In what way is it ‘better’ than the brands I quoted? Ok, it may have been built by the man himself - but by the sound of it, not to the spec that was ordered. On that basis, I’m not convinced by his attention to detail, if I’m honest.... :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • wesker123wesker123 Frets: 496
    DanR said:
    Yup.

My old one.

Why didn't you send it back?
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446

I've played some of his work.  He is a stunningly good builder.  Just because it wasn't built to the requested spec, it doesn't mean that it's not an amazing guitar. 

Given PJE's reputation, his work is worth a premium over a factory built guitar.  You may not agree, but people will pay that kind of money for it.  I was in a shop a couple of years ago and they had a Terry Morgan "Les Paul" that was up for more than you would spend on a Custom Shop True Historic.  Some builders have that kind of reputation, and people will pay for their work.  From what I've seen Patrick Eggle is in that kind of bracket.

There are other UK luthiers who command premium prices.  Martyn Booth makes great guitars but his prices are eye-watering.  You can pay well north of £3k from makers like Rob Williams and Feline as well.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • wesker123wesker123 Frets: 496
    crunchman said:

I've played some of his work.  He is a stunningly good builder.  Just because it wasn't built to the requested spec, it doesn't mean that it's not an amazing guitar. 

Given PJE's reputation, his work is worth a premium over a factory built guitar.  You may not agree, but people will pay that kind of money for it.  I was in a shop a couple of years ago and they had a Terry Morgan "Les Paul" that was up for more than you would spend on a Custom Shop True Historic.  Some builders have that kind of reputation, and people will pay for their work.  From what I've seen Patrick Eggle is in that kind of bracket.

There are other UK luthiers who command premium prices.  Martyn Booth makes great guitars but his prices are eye-watering.  You can pay well north of £3k from makers like Rob Williams and Feline as well.

I agree with you're points. I have one of Pat's guitars which he made for me to my specs.

If it hadn't been to my specs though I would of sent it back. Example, I asked for a tremolo which was installed as requested. If it turned up with hardtail I would of sent it back!

I don't see the problem with that especially when he sent me the spec sheet well in advance :)
  • CollingsCollings Frets: 411
    I played one at World guitars about 12 months ago which was a Les Paul type model and it was stunning and for me a cut above the custom shop gibsons. I always regret not buying it.
  • DanRDanR Frets: 1041
    It's a long story but the basics are I cancelled the order.

Sound Affects keep the build and changed the colour.

I liked it when it turned up.

Then a friend was selling something I wanted so we traded between ourselves.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • edbolivaredbolivar Frets: 153
    I have played several and owned a couple, beautifully made guitars, but never really bonded with them.
    Whilst very good to look at, I would not say they were in any way a better guitar than a goodTom Anderson or Suhr.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom