Water Rats 2nd Jun 2018 Running Order - DOORS OPEN 1130

What's Hot

Comments

• peteripeteri Frets: 1283
    No need, not on my behalf anyway - I have presets for each song, so as long as people can tolerate a quick strap swap and guitar tune - that's the least of my problems!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11616
    TTony said:

Would I be OK to bring a compressor and a tube screamer and whack them in front of the amp?
    Not really.

Swapping individual FX boxes in & out for each track is,going to be as disruptive as swappi g backline around.

Except that there's more to go wrong (and cause delays) as cables break, batteries run out, FX settings get changed, etc, etc, etc.

If someone wants to put a complete pedal board on the floor for the duration, that *might* work.
    Well if we are getting all our boost and screaminess from the amps with 4x12s being driven hard, I may bring earplugs :)

Do we have any volunteers for a generic pedalboard or a Multi FX for the backline?

I have to admit as well a compressor helps my confidence a bit, evens out any inconsistent picking!
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6589
    Back on topic - @alnico - do you have a preferred way of ending comfortably numb? The record fades out so need to work out some other way to end it so I can get my drumming to end at the same time as the rest of you.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    and vocal harmonies should be banished... take too long to work out for the rubbish effect you end up with ;-)
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27308
    Vocal harmonies - I think we have enough trouble getting a single vocal for most songs ...
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    I had a nightmare with Comfortably numb at Hudds - will tell you in person......
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    @peteri - can I send you two AX8 patches nearer the day so I can use those for my songs (assuming you aren’t playing at the same time)?
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • mrkb said:
    Would be worth having a list of what’s available ready for people beforehand, I remember in Hudds there was a Boss katana stack that wasn’t used much as no one knew it was there. Surely four or so amps and a FRFR/PA input for modellers should suffice. Is there any kit at the practice room or are we using fretboard members kit? People brought loads to Northampton, don’t think we used any of the practice room equipment.
    The katana got used on nearly every song, either direct or with a board in front of it if someone needed more than one sound during a song. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    edited April 2018
    @TTony I vaguely remember putting my hand up for the acoustic bit on comfy. Happy to plug straight into the PA as my acoustic has a good preamp, but I'll want to be able to hear it or I'll fuck up royally  

I'm afraid I'm going to have to pull out of tush as I simply haven't got the time to get it sorted. We're now in exam season so it's headless chicken time. 

It's also worth saying that a vox monitor was lacking at Huddersfield and proved very difficult at times for part time singers, I'm happy to provide a small 8" monitor that can sit near the vocal mic. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    It might not have looked like it, but the kit swapping and other set up bits at Huddersfield was massively stressful as organiser.

The main issue is keeping a balance - making sure people get the set up they want without people wondering why their slot has slipped by half an hour !
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    It might not have looked like it, but the kit swapping and other set up bits at Huddersfield was massively stressful as organiser.

I remember some of your immediate post-Hudds comments.

Which is why I'm being a little more, ummm, directive, this time
    ;)

If people want to collaborate beforehand to put together a board (or two) with the main pedals, that can be used throughout the session, then that could work.

But the idea of people bringing along a couple of individual pedals, working out which leads are which amongst the tangle on the floor, then realising that the battery is dying and there isn't another mains socket (for the adapter that they don't have), and that jack socket is a *bit* dodgy but it can usually be made to work with a quick wiggle, then re-setting the controls that got moved in the gig bag ... 

... meanwhile the bassist has got bored and gone for a slash/fag/pint (or all 3)

... the drummer has moved on to the next song on the list

... and everyone else has left too ...

So, it might be unpopular with the pedal-players, but it's for the greater good
    ;)
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11616
    @TTony can I please come off Come Together #1 on guitar?  There are enough people on it and I've got to concentrate on my other songs?
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
    TTony said:

But the idea of people bringing along a couple of individual pedals, working out which leads are which amongst the tangle on the floor, then realising that the battery is dying and there isn't another mains socket (for the adapter that they don't have), and that jack socket is a *bit* dodgy but it can usually be made to work with a quick wiggle, then re-setting the controls that got moved in the gig bag ... 
    Guitars can be as bad.. I was running my lads rockschool end of term concert and this 10 year old kid got up on stage with his SG, an turned to me and said " the jack sockets fallen into the guitar again" - and showed me the nut and washer he had left in his hand! Looks like his Dad had tried to bodge it with glue! Lucking I had my Spirit Steinberg to hand by the mixing desk - shortened the strap and he was ready to go in 60 seconds.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    @TTony can I please come off Come Together #1 on guitar?  There are enough people on it and I've got to concentrate on my other songs?

I should be able to sing whilst strumming the chords on that one, so can add the odd strum to fill-in the sound if needed.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    mrkb said:

I should be able to sing whilst strumming the chords on that one, so can add the odd strum to fill-in the sound if needed.
    I'm sure we'll have a few odd strums during the day ... yours will be as welcome as all the others
    ;)

The main issue is keeping a balance - making sure people get the set up they want without people wondering why their slot has slipped by half an hour !
    Yes understood, though having to do all the drumming yourself and having the person who was singing most of the songs have to pull out at last minute adds to the fun.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2196
    @TTony I've been looking at the bass slots waiting to see if they would be filled and also at American woman as it has two guitars and others have 4 and 5. So some late requests..

Can I play the intro only yes the crappy one and let @pmbomb do the proper solo as long as that's ok. Im playing the next song so that works.

So as repayment I'll take the bass on just what i needed.

Deal?
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2196
    Thanks
  • pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    I already learnt the intro mini solo @slacker and am working on the main/middle one. 

Would you be up for doing the long outro solo? Starts about 3:00 on the record? Needs a deft touch (I don't have) as it's over the singer and drives the song to conclusion.
This discussion has been closed.