Why does patch cable in fx loop solve problems?!

scarry67scarry67 Frets: 143
Cured problems in both amps today by just putting patch cable in fx loop (Tech 21 and a Session Duette). Both were playing up with volume cutting in & out. Why has this worked? I’m glad it has by the way...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2749
    The jacks on fx loops often rely on the contacts inside the jack, they can get dirty or lose the springiness over time leading to an intermittent connection or signal drop so adding the cable fixes that.   
    Yoi could try cleaning with some servisol and push a jack plug in and out a few times - often fixes it. 
  • scarry67scarry67 Frets: 143
    Thanks I’ll get some Servisol in there sharpish. 
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    Just had to do this on my Lionheart.
  • scarry67scarry67 Frets: 143
    Mine have both been in slightly damp wardrobe for spells when not out and I wonder if that’s got into them. Weird that both have same issue. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72227
    scarry67 said:
    Mine have both been in slightly damp wardrobe for spells when not out and I wonder if that’s got into them. Weird that both have same issue. 
    Most likely. The usual cause is a tiny spot of corrosion in the FX return jack switch.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein