Marshall Code 25 - surprisingly good fun

VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4722
edited April 2018 in Amps
Went round to friends for dinner last night and tried out a Marshall Code 25 Combo - I'd only tried out the bigger 100w 2x12 previously.  It's a very cute little amp and he had the Marshall bluetooth link set-up on his phone which allowed quick tweaking and patch selection without having to bend down and go through the amps menus.  And it has on-board patch-naming too.

Although it only has a 10" speaker I was actually pleasantly surprised how full it sounded, and whilst no where near the volume and bottom end of its bigger brother, it actually sounded pretty decent and was more than loud enough for home use.  The bluetooth connectivity and ability to play music through it from your phone to jam to actually makes it a lot of fun.  Clearly its not the same as playing a real valve Marshall amp from the perspective of tonal accuracy, dynamics, power and bottom end thump, but the modelling is actually pretty good for what it is and its tones and feel are certainly in the right ball-park. 

Build quality and reliability is suspect though - I've read that software updates seem to be a bit buggy.  And having seen vids of their insides there doesn't seem to be an awful lot there ...and what is there looks cheap and doesn't seem to have been put together that well.  So I wouldn't trust a bigger one for gigs.   But as a small, light home practice amp, or for maybe taking round to friends or a small club for a jam, I can certainly see its appeal.   

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    I bought my best mate one for Christmas, he's only an occasional player so is perfect for him to have a little play now and again. It's a good sounding little amp as long as you aren't expecting pro level tones!
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
  • PlectrumPlectrum Frets: 494
    Build quality is perfectly adequate. I've been using my CODE 50 live for close on 2 years now. Never had an issue with it. It happily takes being trundled a mile each way to and from open mike on a folding stack truck each week. I wouldn't throw it out of a 5th floor window and expect it to survive though.
    One day I'm going to make a guitar out of butter to experience just how well it actually plays.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4722
    edited April 2018
    Plectrum said:
    Build quality is perfectly adequate. I've been using my CODE 50 live for close on 2 years now. Never had an issue with it. It happily takes being trundled a mile each way to and from open mike on a folding stack truck each week. I wouldn't throw it out of a 5th floor window and expect it to survive though.
    lolk  Reassuring - but probably not too many amps that would survive that severe a build quality test!
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6144
    Does the backing track sound muffled on these? Wondering if the speaker is guitar-voiced or full-range.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11745
    edited April 2018
    I've played through a Code 25, it's a lot of fun like all it's brethren, and very wee.

Edit: unfortunately though the victim of a recent massive price hike, recently available for £125 it is now £189, and it isn't a match sound-wise for a Katana 50, though it is smaller, and controllable from a phone, which may sway one.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    goldtop said:xç
    Does the backing track sound muffled on these? Wondering if the speaker is guitar-voiced or full-range.
    Not muffled and it sounded pretty good.
    I've played through a Code 25, it's a lot of fun like all it's brethren, and very wee.

Edit: unfortunately though the victim of a recent massive price hike, recently available for £125 it is now £189, and it isn't a match sound-wise for a Katana 50, though it is smaller, and controllable from a phone, which may sway one.
    The code is £150 and the Katana 50 is £200. From a fun perspective I think the Code is better 're it's Bluetooth connectivity and patchnaming facility. Also I suspect the Marshall tones are likely to be better.  But I concur the price differential isn't as good as it was and I wouldn't pay £150 for it...but I'd pay £100. It also has some surprisingly nice cleans.
    Voxman said:

The code is £150 and the Katana 50 is £200. From a fun perspective I think the Code is better 're it's Bluetooth connectivity and patchnaming facility. Also I suspect the Marshall tones are likely to be better.  But I concur the price differential isn't as good as it was and I wouldn't pay £150 for it...but I'd pay £100. It also has some surprisingly nice cleans.
    I'd buy a Code 25 for £100 any day of the week agreed.
  • PlectrumPlectrum Frets: 494

Edit: unfortunately though the victim of a recent massive price hike, recently available for £125 it is now £189,
    £153 at PMT.  Which is about what it's been for a long, long time.
    One day I'm going to make a guitar out of butter to experience just how well it actually plays.
    Plectrum said:

Edit: unfortunately though the victim of a recent massive price hike, recently available for £125 it is now £189,
    £153 at PMT.  Which is about what it's been for a long, long time.
    I almost bought one for 125 from Amazon last year.

Now 189 on there, glad it can still be had for 153
    edited April 2018
    £149.53 from Richtone, and Rattle & Drum.