Zoom G3 help needed

What's Hot
barrydbarryd Frets: 25
edited April 2018 in FX
Please go easy on me as I havent got a clue what I am talking about when it comes to Music tech and effects pedals.  I recently bought a Zoom G3 off ebay on recommendation on another thread but I am struggling with it.  I only have the online manual which isnt much help really.  I am sure if I persevere with it I might get some decent sounds out of it but that seems a long way off at the moment.

Is there a really good online tutorial anywhere or video?

I have been through all the built in effects and while some of the distortion effects seem ok I was not blown away by the clean effects.  I realise I can tweak them but Im just turning knobs without really knowing what they do.

I notice on many of the preset effects there is no option to change the Amp as it just says DSP Thru FULL which I think means it doesnt have enough processing power.

I did try and follow one guide on youtube but the guys amp models were on the left screen and mine seem to be on the right and I just got lost with it.

Couple of direct questions.

How do I just start with a blank patch so I Can maybe choose an amp, play with that and then add an effect?

Is there a website of patches to download and how do  you go about doing that?

And finally my old GT5 had a pretty good Bass simulator, can the G3 emulate a Bass Guitar?  I Suspect the answer is to actually buy a bass guitar long term but thought I would ask.

Sorry for the long post and all the questions.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• tbh i had the same issues when i first got mine, nearly 3 years ago.  i didnt worry about the amp sims. what i did was scroll through the effects in the first panel, find one you like, switch it on/off,   turn off all the effects in the other 2 panels and just tweek the first one until you're happy with it. then move on to second panel and do the same. then the third.  this is your first patch, assign it as A1 then move on to A2 and repeat, obviously different effects. build up slowly, just assign what you need at the moment.
    there is an effect that mimics bass, i think its the octaver.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • barrydbarryd Frets: 25
    edited April 2018
    Thanks.  Ive made some progress this afternoon which has not done my hangover much good but I have learned a bit.  First thing I figured out is that the firmware had not been upgrade by the previous owner so I have done that.  I made a list earlier of all the patches I liked and now they are all changed so I have had to do it again. No bother as I think a lot of them sound better now.  Still not many clean ones but Ive also discovered this http://guitarpatches.com/patches.php?unit=G3&sort=&page=1 and also found the Edit and Share software and now I Can mess about with something I do understand a fair bit about (The computer) I might get somewhere.

Not figured out how to download a patch yet but about to give that a go.
    Now I am getting somewhere.  Couldnt figure out why none of the patches would import as its expecting a version 2 patch with a .G3XP or G3P but the ones I found on that website were for the previous version I think and were different extensions, G3a I think.  When you go to file and import in the user area they dont show up with the old extension.  I discovered though that if you right click on a patch you dont like you can import them from there.  I also discovered you can clear a patch there so that answers my question about starting a new one I guess although there must be a way to add new ones rather than overwrite old ones?

thats enough for today, me brain hurts
  • I find that all of the effects tend to be too bold, so you have to turn down the 'level' or 'gain' settings to significantly lower levels. This is especially the case with the overdrive/dirt effects. Once you do this, everything starts to sound much more like it should. The amp sims are good, particularly the Blackface type one (Fender Deluxe i think) and the Marshall JTM45 type sim. The Tape Delay is good fun too and very useable.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    I struggled too when I first got the G3n, having never ownwed a multi fx, it was a steep learning curve, however I soon got the hang of it, as said above, I agree that most of the pre installed patches are a bit extreme......
    I started by creating my own sounds by going to an empty spot and began with drive, a Tube Screamer, got a cleanish sound I liked rhen saved it across all three footswitches in that bank, then back to the first and added compression, then reverb, then a bit of delay, gradually building up the sound trying different effects....then across to the second one I had saved and added a bit more drive etc
    Start off simple and build it up, it soon becomes second nature.....

Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• freakboy1610freakboy1610 Frets: 1209
    edited April 2018

Is there a website of patches to download and how do  you go about doing that?

http://guitarpatches.com/patches.php?unit=G3

Doh, you've found it already!
    Link to my trading feedback
    Thanks again.  I am getting there with it.  Now I can control it all from my laptop I feel much more at home with it as well.  A lot still to learn though
    edited May 2018
    Would any of you G3 experts like to take a stab at how I could get this solo sound on "After Dark"?  You need to skip to around 2:20

It sounds like there is a Wah effect on but as the G3 does not have a pedal I guess it would have to be an auto Wah (not discovered that yet).  Just wondered if anyone fancied a stab at a patch.

edited May 2018
    Link doesnt seem to be working, ill try this.  (About 2:20)