Amber Rudd

What's Hot
...is toast.

Thing is, now she's gone, I wonder whether any former Home Secretaries knew of the whole targets policy, while permitting Parliament and the people to be misled...
Self-confessed Blues Lawyer
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Comments

• Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 8994
    The clamour for her to quit was IMO whipped up by them that want to de-stabilise the May administration. Ms Rudd isn't worse than other Home Secretaries, and has definitely inherited shite left behind by previous Home Secretaries.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 1701
    The clamour for her to quit was IMO whipped up by them that want to de-stabilise the May administration. Ms Rudd isn't worse than other Home Secretaries, and has definitely inherited shite left behind by previous Home Secretaries.
    She lied.  Repeatedly.  Stated she wasn't aware of specific deportation targets. Repeatedly.

Yet wrote a letter to the PM last year, as leaked/published today, referring to, er, specific deportation targets.

I hate getting involved in politics and religion, especially on interweb forums (although I started this one) and am sad to see Rudd go in the sense that she seemed pretty decent against the cabal of prize nutjobs around her, but my OP point was the likely blowback to May from all this.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 11476
    May is now very short of allies within the Cabinet. 
    Clarity over quantity.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 6256
    the thing is the longer she held on the more easy fuel she gave to labour. She should've gone a week ago, that'd taken a lot of the sting from the opposition. Now they can claim a victory.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • fandangofandango Frets: 1105
    edited April 29
    Rudd was promoted far above her station.

One of the most incompetent Home Secretaries in living memory. (And we've had a few).

Glad she's gone.

Let's now have someone with some common sense to replace her.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    If only there were some local elections coming up, to act as a sort of litmus test of the public mood.

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 16962
    edited April 29
    VimFuego said:
    the thing is the longer she held on the more easy fuel she gave to labour. She should've gone a week ago, that'd taken a lot of the sting from the opposition. Now they can claim a victory.
    Rudd was never the target. It's May the opposition are after. However, Rudd lied and IMHO needs to be sacked and lose her seat. She issued a memo on targets. She said she knew nothing. She's lied.

Labour actually brought this policy in but Alan Johnson has gone and Corbyn will say the current Labour party is different. I give May a week. Her hands are all over the policy. Rudd was a shield. A government collapse is on the cards - election looming.

Good riddance to the Tories.
    My pump-action drivel gun is smoking hot today!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 13391
    Hear hear.  Bloody incompetent idiots.  The pig-fucker got us into the Brexit debacle and this ineffectual prat is way out of her depth in dealing with the aftermath.

It's time we got shot of the Tories and got Labour back in so they can start screwing everything up their way.
    Birds are meant to fly free...  Open every cage you see.

https://www.peta.org/about-peta/why-peta/caged-birds/
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    edited April 29
    From the Telegraph a few minutes ago:

Amber Rudd resigned on Sunday night as Home Secretary after a leaked letter revealed she had set out plans to increase removals of immigrants despite telling MPs she did not know about targets.

Downing Street confirmed Ms Rudd had stepped down after a week of intense pressure over the Windrush scandal, which saw Caribbean immigrants threatened with deportation after they were unable to prove their right to live and work in Britain.

Just two days earlier she vowed to stay on and help reform her department. Her insistence that she did not know about targets for removing immigrants was undermined on Sunday by a leaked letter she wrote to the Prime Minister.

In the letter, written more than a year ago, Ms Rudd sets out her plans to increase removals by 10 per cent, appearing to contradict her earlier denial to MPs.

The four-page letter was sent to Theresa May in January 2017. In it, Ms Rudd outlined her plan to “deliver the 10 per cent uplift in enforced removals over the next few years”. She laid out in some detail the structural changes she was putting in place at the Home Office to meet the target.

However, in front of the home affairs select committee last week she insisted under questioning that “we don’t have targets for removals”, adding: “That’s not how we operate.”

She has to resign her seat. This is disgraceful. The woman has lied through her teeth.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 32822
    Fretwired said:

Rudd was never the target. It's May the opposition are after. However, Rudd lied and IMHO needs to be sacked and lose her seat. She issued a memo on targets. She said she knew nothing. She's lied.

Labour actually brought this policy in but Alan Johnson has gone and Corbyn will say the current Labour party is different. I give May a week. Her hands are all over the policy. Rudd was a shield. A government collapse is on the cards - election looming.

Sadly I think you’re too optimistic. I can see them staggering on for months, if not more - there isn’t quite the arithmetic in Parliament for a confidence vote.
    "Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone."
    Fretwired said:
    From the Telegraph a few minutes ago:

Amber Rudd resigned on Sunday night as Home Secretary after a leaked letter revealed she had set out plans to increase removals of immigrants despite telling MPs she did not know about targets.

Downing Street confirmed Ms Rudd had stepped down after a week of intense pressure over the Windrush scandal, which saw Caribbean immigrants threatened with deportation after they were unable to prove their right to live and work in Britain.

Just two days earlier she vowed to stay on and help reform her department. Her insistence that she did not know about targets for removing immigrants was undermined on Sunday by a leaked letter she wrote to the Prime Minister.

In the letter, written more than a year ago, Ms Rudd sets out her plans to increase removals by 10 per cent, appearing to contradict her earlier denial to MPs.

The four-page letter was sent to Theresa May in January 2017. In it, Ms Rudd outlined her plan to “deliver the 10 per cent uplift in enforced removals over the next few years”. She laid out in some detail the structural changes she was putting in place at the Home Office to meet the target.

However, in front of the home affairs select committee last week she insisted under questioning that “we don’t have targets for removals”, adding: “That’s not how we operate.”

She has to resign her seat. This is disgraceful. The woman has lied through her teeth.

Now she's resigned, the next action is for May to withdraw the whip.

Rudd can then resign her seat. If not, Rudd should be deselected. But fat good is that when the next General Election is in 2022 ... four years away. Sigh.

@fandango

Locals on Thursday.  Enough to scare the shit out of them.  If it's bad enough, they'll knife May.  Then the fun will begin.
    ICBM said:
    Fretwired said:

Sadly I think you’re too optimistic. I can see them staggering on for months, if not more - there isn’t quite the arithmetic in Parliament for a confidence vote.
    I think there is ... Tory remainers voting against the government to scupper a hard Brexit. You could also see Tory Brexiteers wanting to get rid of May. They may fancy their chances as Labour are mired in their own problems and if they can ditch May and get a hard-line Brexiteer at number 10 it could be worth a punt at a general election.
    JerkMoans said:
    @fandango

Locals on Thursday.  Enough to scare the shit out of them.  If it's bad enough, they'll knife May.  Then the fun will begin.
    Alas, not in my area.
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 2176
    Seems a bit like Al Capone getting done for tax evasion not murder. Isn’t the real crime the sheer incompetence that resulted in the heartbreaking anguish that the Windrush people suffered? Yet she falls on her sword not because of how she did her job but because of something she said. 
    jellyroll said:
    Seems a bit like Al Capone getting done for tax evasion not murder. Isn’t the real crime the sheer incompetence that resulted in the heartbreaking anguish that the Windrush people suffered? Yet she falls on her sword not because of how she did her job but because of something she said. 
    Most of this happened on May's watch though .... Rudd's not been in the job long and it takes a while to get to grips with what's going on.  There's more to come out - I'm 100% sure May knew what was going on .... hopefully she's next.
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 991
    Fingers crossed, fingers crossed.....

.....and what to my wondering eyes should appear.....      nothing.......

• jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 2176
    Fretwired said:
    jellyroll said:
    Most of this happened on May's watch though .... Rudd's not been in the job long and it takes a while to get to grips with what's going on.  There's more to come out - I'm 100% sure May knew what was going on .... hopefully she's next.
    I suppose, answering my own question, that no government minister in history has ever resigned because they were incompetent. It always takes “ a scandal.”

As for May, I don’t think she has long left but I don't think it will be this matter which causes her downfall. My guess is that when Brexit stalls in Parliament, we’ll get a general election and she’ll go as that plays out.  
    edited April 30
    Fretwired said:
    VimFuego said:

May really shouldn't worry about the red opposition. There have been five main departures since the General Election.  
    Sir Michael Fallon, Damian Green, and Rudd resigned for different reasons. James Brokenshire left on health grounds. Priti Patel resigned on the grounds of lying. All bar Patel were Remain supporters. Her support is in tatters and the road very clearly open for a Leave-supporting person to come in on promises of sorting out Brexit once and for all for that March 29th 2019. 
    Clarity over quantity.  
    Fretwired said:
    VimFuego said:

May really shouldn't worry about the red opposition. There have been five main departures since the General Election.  
    Sir Michael Fallon, Damian Green, and Rudd resigned for different reasons. James Brokenshire left on health grounds. Priti Patel resigned on the grounds of lying. All bar Patel were Remain supporters. Her support is in tatters and the road very clearly open for a Leave-supporting person to come in on promises of sorting out Brexit once and for all for that March 29th 2019. 
    Bookies are going for an Autumn election. Labour is on the attack today. I expect more leaks from the civil service. I'm finding it hard to see how May can survive.
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1041
    Fretwired said:
    Fretwired said:
    VimFuego said:

Bookies are going for an Autumn election. Labour is on the attack today. I expect more leaks from the civil service. I'm finding it hard to see how May can survive.
    Surely not, let us not forget 'strong and stable'!  Rather pathetic if the tories who introduced fixed term parliament legislation override it for a second time in two years.
  • TravisthedogTravisthedog Frets: 1682
    Sajid Javid to replace Rudd.

He's leave isnt he
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1041
    edited April 30
    He was a remainer, but I'm sure he'll bend whatever way is best for his party/career.
    Octafish said:
    Fretwired said:
    Fretwired said:
    VimFuego said:

Surely not, let us not forget 'strong and stable'!  Rather pathetic if the tories who introduced fixed term parliament legislation override it for a second time in two years.
    Fixed term parliaments are fine if you have a strong government. If the government falls then you have no choice but to have an election. And the bookies think it will fall.

The DUP are on the verge of pulling the plug on May over the EU's stance on the Irish border post-Brexit - she has a civil war brewing in her party over Brexit and the Customs Union and Labour will ensure the Windrush scandal just runs and runs. Next target May. The Tories are facing a wipe out in the London elections on Thursday. Other than that everything is rosy.

I can't see this government surviving long term. Labour and Momentum have already upped the ante on social media - 'all Tories are racists' .... too many fires burning for May.
    Fretwired said:
    It would have to be. Dumping her before June, a month for new leader fun, then an election... haywire. A nice autumnal election instead and then a six month run to Brexit.
    Clarity over quantity.  
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 4941
    The whole thing's just a smear campaign. Or does that not apply to all parties?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 8994
    fandango said:

Let's now have someone with some common sense to replace her.
    Trouble is none of them have any. What was that we used to say about lunatics running the asylum?

Sir Thomas More was right: anybody that wants power should not be allowed to have it.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    scrumhalf said:
    The whole thing's just a smear campaign. Or does that not apply to all parties?
    How so? Rudd lied. May has lied. Rudd should just have come out and said 'yes we have targets for illegal immigrants, but we're sorry the Windrush generation were affected as they are not illegal immigrants. We will fix this.' Might have been unpleasant, but many voters support the deportation of illegal immigrants and nobody could have accused her of obfuscating or lying. Patel lied as well and lost her job and Gove is a serial offender .. lying seems endemic within the Tory party.

Lib Dems now being implicated by supporting May in coalition government.
  • ronnybronnyb Frets: 531
    Emp_Fab said:
    Hear hear.  Bloody incompetent idiots.  The pig-fucker got us into the Brexit debacle and this ineffectual prat is way out of her depth in dealing with the aftermath.

It's time we got shot of the Tories and got Labour back in so they can start screwing everything up their way.
    Can't wait. Then we'll have the nice Mrs Abbott as Home Secretary. We'll all be a lot safer though, what with the extra 10000 police officers she''ll recruit for £300,000. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 32822
    Sajid Javid to replace Rudd.

He's leave isnt he
    No, remain. More importantly, he's from a Muslim Pakistani family and his father was a Windrush-generation bus driver. Not that it has *anything* to do with his appointment of course...

He's also a former banker, so he *may* not be totally stupid and incompetent.
    "Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone."