Phosphor Bronze - Magnetic PU

I thought I heard something about strings with bronze  don't amplify well with magnetic pick ups?  I'm about to restring my old flat top that I amplify with a Dean Markley sound hole pick up, am I delusional or?

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• It'll work.

You may wish to adjust the polepieces to get a balanced sound, if you have such things on yer pickup.
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
  • DulcetJonesDulcetJones Frets: 515
    It'll work.

You may wish to adjust the polepieces to get a balanced sound, if you have such things on yer pickup.
    Thanks, no pole  pieces, but it sits very close to the strings and sounds great even with the old strings, which are shot.(I can't remember when I last changed them, several years at least)

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1263
    edited April 2018
    With bronze strings, the wound strings will sound very quiet compared to the plain strings as it's only the steel cores that will be picked up by the pickup. This is why the pole pieces for the top two strings will normally be set much lower than the other four.

If your pickup has no adjustable polepieces and sounds balanced with the old strings, I suspect it has already been compensated for this.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72234
    If the wound strings are too weak with a magnetic pickup, you want these - 

https://www.drstrings.com/acoustic-electric-zebra

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    have the Russians started a cyber attack? That link doesn't work (they're "having problems"), the soundcloud site doesn't work properly .... anyone else seen trouble?
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1263
    have the Russians started a cyber attack? That link doesn't work (they're "having problems"), the soundcloud site doesn't work properly .... anyone else seen trouble?
    DO NOT PANIC!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QNEg4NMZ4s

• DulcetJonesDulcetJones Frets: 515
    My soundcloud just came back, I wasn't able to sign in a few hours ago though.  And thanks ICBM, I'll look into those.