My 68 Vox AC30 keeps blowing fuses . . . .

What's Hot
maw4neumaw4neu Frets: 549
OK I'm exaggerating its actually blown 2 . .  Its been as stable as a rock for the past 6 months, then its blown its 3 amp twice in a fortnight . . . Annoying !!
Id just like to point out that, despite all the video and DNA evidence, it genuinely wasn't me, your Honour  ! 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BabonesBabones Frets: 1204
    Faulty valve on the way out?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71950
    Probably a valve.

Does it blow at power-up? - if so most likely the rectifier. If it blows after it's been on for a while or when you crank it up, most likely an EL84.

It could also be an arc on one of the EL84 bases rather than the valve itself, I've seen a few with that.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• maw4neumaw4neu Frets: 549
    ICBM said:
    Probably a valve.

Does it blow at power-up? - if so most likely the rectifier. If it blows after it's been on for a while or when you crank it up, most likely an EL84.

It could also be an arc on one of the EL84 bases rather than the valve itself, I've seen a few with that.

I heard the slightest noise from the speakers but it was a crackle at best then nothing . . . Definitely on startup . . . I didnt have any 32mm long 3 amp fuses so for tonight I'm knackered but I've ordered some so they will be here Wednesday. I hope its not a rectifier though . . That ones only 7 months old . . . .  I've got a spare plus I've got an old Mullard that was in when I got the amp . . Just think  7 months is a bit short so wondering if should prime my amp tech . . . ?
    Id just like to point out that, despite all the video and DNA evidence, it genuinely wasn't me, your Honour  ! 

I would put the Mullard back in. Far more reliable than most of the modern crap - especially Sovtek.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

edited May 2018
    ICBM said:
    Probably a valve.

You were spot on . . It was the rectifier . . . Fuses delivered this morning so I was able to do a little detective work this evening . . Tried a fuse first but it popped the second I heard a blip from the speakers so I put a new fuse in and swapped the JJ Rectifier out and popped in my spare JJ Rectifier and  . . . Hey Presto  . . . No problem . . . I also tried the Mullard Rectifier and that too was good but I ended up putting the JJ back in . . . Kind of keeping the Mullard as long as I can . . . . my AC30 is a happy chappy again  . . . . 

What's the point in having a Mullard rectifier if it's not in the amp?

;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3113
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:

;)
    +1
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

RiftAmps said:
    ICBM said:

+1

Good point . . .. . . I'll pop it back in tonight :-)