Simple Minds remake improves on the original

What's Hot
Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7765
I really like this. KT Tunstall is an inspired addition, the guitar parts are cool and bass playing perfect. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    That works.  Stands on its own merits. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    I think they should remake a lot of their albums as the songs are strong but ruined as they are drenched in 80's reverb hell and dodgy production.

That remake was pretty cool.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    Never liked 'em. "Remake improves on original" leaves me thinking about polishing turds.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24281
    Maybe I'm weird but (don't answer that)...  but, I like the 80's original, drenched in reverb, versions.  I don't like this acoustic version.  I keep expecting Tunstall to go "Woo-Hoo" a-la Cherry Tree - the groove is almost identical.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
  • ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 886
    Hands down prefer the original - never liked Tunstall, always thought she was annoying and bland.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33791
    Very very nice.
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6898
    I’m in the prefer the original camp. This one didn’t hold my attention at all. 
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6057
    Doesn't work at all. Their material was designed for epic sonic landscapes. And that tambourine is bloody annoying.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72293
    Er... no.

I love Simple Minds and like a lot of KT Tunstall, but that just sounds like a bad mash-up of Promised You A Miracle and Black Horse & The Cherry Tree, as Emp said.

The original is so perfect it's impossible to improve on, like the whole album it's on - one of the iconic albums of the early 80s. It would be possible to do something different and good with it, but this is not it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5133
    I tried listening to "Glittering Prize" the other day. The production bothered me far less than the fact that any time Jim Kerr held a note I could swear I heard Homer in the background saying "why you little..."

Image result for homer and bart

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• robwrightrobwright Frets: 736
    I didn’t realise that they had an album of acoustic remakes - checking it out now 

• They toured that acoustic album last year,with KT Tunstall supporting and featuring with them on that song. Saw it in Belfast. T'was really good.