Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

It's scone not 'scon' alright!

What's Hot

Comments

• FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2477
    munckee said:
    I'm a southerner and its scon, only person I've ever heard call it scone (as in stone) is my aunt from yorkshire.

However its irrelevant as its a sh1t dry cake, and jam and cream are for ladies : )
    I'm from Yorkshire and the only person I've heard pronounce it "scoan" is Hyacinth Bucket.

Is she your aunt?
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9699
    wolsnah said:
    Tone, which we all know about, with an S on the front, doesn't make "ston". It's a very similar word to (s)cone in phonetics so scone very much for me, none of that scon oddity

The "tone + S = stone" comparison only really works logically if the word has always been spelt that way. If you look at the etymology of the word, it rather depends on whether you think it comes from the German or Dutch word Schöne/Schoon (fine flour bread) or the Scottish Gaelic word Sgonn (mouthful, lump). On the basis that the word scone seems to have come from Scotland, one could perhaps surmise the Gaelic one might be more likely, but then it's possible that came from the German/Dutch before that so we aren't really any further forward.
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    edited May 2018
    Sadly, there is actually an etymological answer to this.

I will say up front that I think either way is correct. However, as part of my degree was early Middle English and the etymology surrounding our language, I feel I have to participate.

Most arguments will cite the “tone/gone” comparison. Both similar endings but different pronunciation rules.

In general (ugh - English doesn’t do general but ah well):

Tone is a Greek/French “classical” word by origin. These words tend to pronounce “oan”

Gone is Middle English from old Dutch and these words tend to pronounce “ohn”

So, track the etymology and you get the “correct” pronunciation by original language. 

Scone is an old dutch word by origin “schoon” and thus etymologically should by “scohn”
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    wolsnah said:
    Tone, which we all know about, with an S on the front, doesn't make "ston". It's a very similar word to (s)cone in phonetics so scone very much for me, none of that scon oddity

The "tone + S = stone" comparison only really works logically if the word has always been spelt that way. If you look at the etymology of the word, it rather depends on whether you think it comes from the German or Dutch word Schöne/Schoon (fine flour bread) or the Scottish Gaelic word Sgonn (mouthful, lump). On the basis that the word scone seems to have come from Scotland, one could perhaps surmise the Gaelic one might be more likely, but then it's possible that came from the German/Dutch before that so we aren't really any further forward.
    I would say clear etymological evidence of Old Dutch (which influenced Gaelic anyway) and both words would by route pronounce scohn anyway. 

For Scoan as a pronunciation it would require a classical route. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16082
    And there you have it !
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Dominic said:
    And there you have it !
    I’m also a fucking hoot at parties. 
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6099
    Of course my answer to all this academic etymological stuff is... bollocks!!
    My mum.. bless her sweet departed soul.. was adamant.. scone is pronounced as it is spelt. And she was a Devonshire girl ( and a landgirl during WW2)... so that's that! :sunglasses: 
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9657
    edited May 2018
    I asked the maid in dulcet tone
    To order me a buttered scone.
    The silly girl has been and gone
    And ordered me a buttered scone.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    equalsql said:
    Of course my answer to all this academic etymological stuff is... bollocks!!
    My mum.. bless her sweet departed soul.. was adamant.. scone is pronounced as it is spelt. And she was a Devonshire girl ( and a landgirl during WW2)... so that's that! :sunglasses: 
    I blame the drate-pokes who confused everyone centuries ago so there’s now two ways of pronouncing it.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28035
    Topics like this are how I explain to people what it's like to be British.
    I hope you make it clear that the arguments over pronunciation don't get in the way of the consumption!
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    FX_Munkee said:
    munckee said:
    I'm a southerner and its scon, only person I've ever heard call it scone (as in stone) is my aunt from yorkshire.

However its irrelevant as its a sh1t dry cake, and jam and cream are for ladies : )
    I'm from Yorkshire and the only person I've heard pronounce it "scoan" is Hyacinth Bucket.

Is she your aunt?
    It’s funny because anyone who pronounces it ‘scoan’ thinks that ‘scon’ is the posh way. I say ‘scoan’ and have never thought for a second that it could be considered the posh way. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12327
    BRISTOL86 said:
    FX_Munkee said:
    munckee said:

Is she your aunt?
    It’s funny because anyone who pronounces it ‘scoan’ thinks that ‘scon’ is the posh way. I say ‘scoan’ and have never thought for a second that it could be considered the posh way. 
    My aunt is yorkshire's answer to hyacinth bucket and says scone because she thinks it sounds posher!
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9699
    Well I went to tesco at lunch and the ones they were selling there were definitely pronounced scones
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • supessupes Frets: 181
    It’s scone as in gone. You can give as many explanations as you like but pronouncing it as s”cone” just makes you sound like a pretentious dick. I’m from the north-east, ya kna we talk proper up here. I think that’s game, set and match. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72255

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1299
    I must be the only person that pronounces the Sc like "science".
    "Mother, would you like another 'sonn'?"
    "Go to 'shool'!"
  • supes said:
    It’s scone as in gone. You can give as many explanations as you like but pronouncing it as s”cone” just makes you sound like a pretentious dick. I’m from the north-east, ya kna we talk proper up here. I think that’s game, set and match. 
    I'm from the east and it's definitely scon. The pretentious northerner who lives downstairs calls them "scones"  because he's trying to sound posh, which means that's definitely wrong
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24263
    You’re all wrong... it’s pronounced “s h i t e”.

Like buttering a bit of old plasterboard and trying to eat it.

Welshcakes are where it’s at.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • cj73cj73 Frets: 1003
    And the old school heavy metallers call them sköühnz
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33783
    Emp_Fab said:
    You’re all wrong... it’s pronounced “s h i t e”.

Like buttering a bit of old plasterboard and trying to eat it.

Welshcakes are where it’s at.