Celestion Rocket 50. - WTF?!

What's Hot
DodgeDodge Frets: 1435
edited May 2018 in Amps
So I'm the recent owner of a Hayden 2 watt amp which is lots of fun, and I've just auditioned a second one as I fancy a little low volume stereo rig for home use.  This second one was made within 2 weeks of the first but has a different speaker - a Celestion Rocket 50.

So I fire up the amp, and it's clearly broken.  The thing is half the volume of mine and doesn't have a good tone in it whatsoever.  Turns out it's not a broken amp, but a broken speaker.

The thing is, it's not broken - it's just shit!  I mean properly shit, easily the worst speaker I've ever heard.  I've just checked out the specs, and it's 3 db less sensitive than the boringly average Seventy 80 that's in mine.  That would explain the difference in volume alright.  It has this weird congestion in the midrange, no bass and no clarity at all.  It has an almost whiney quality about it that just grates (think Alan Carr).

We confirmed this by swapping the chassis over between the cabinets and the Rocket 50 was a very weak link.

What a piece of junk - why on earth do Celestion make this speaker?!  Talk about not fit for purpose.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1630

Yes, they are almost universally regarded as crap but, you can never tell! SOMEBODY will love it! (have one here somewhere....)

Dave.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72294
    AKA the 'tin frisbee', on the grounds that it's what you want to do with it...

I'm normally a fan of Celestions, but it's actually the worst 12" speaker I can think of, by any manufacturer. That whiney metallic "tone" and complete lack of bottom end is normal for them.

I don't actually throw them away when I've replaced them, I use them for absolutely minimum-cost repairs in things like old Carlsbro and Laney solid-state amps where low cost and at least reasonably good power handling are needed, and you don't care what it sounds like as long as it works.

About the only good thing I can say about them is that they aren't very heavy.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader
    Total junk.
    Perhaps they did it as some sort of 'defining the parameters' thing?
    "Spend some money you cheapskate, otherwise we'll give you this!"
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4722
    My Laney Cub12R came with one - absolute SHITE - first thing I did was bin it and put in a Vintage 30.  Chalk & cheese difference. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3138
    tFB Trader
    The Rocket 50 is Celestion’s best speaker

...for easily demonstrating how much difference a good speaker upgrade can make
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14422
    Anyone got any theories on exactly what it is about the Rocket 50 that is responsible for its (hopefully) unique sound? The diaphragm? The magnet? The coil? All three? 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72294
    Anyone got any theories on exactly what it is about the Rocket 50 that is responsible for its (hopefully) unique sound? The diaphragm? The magnet? The coil? All three? 
    Probably everything apart from the frame. It's a bizarre-sounding thing - it has no bottom end, not much top, and yet is oddly hollow and lacking in mids as well. It's like a sort of sonic black hole where electricity goes in and nothing comes out.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • kreggskreggs Frets: 64
    I suppose it could make a pretty decent sized ashtray for a house party
  • midlifecrisismidlifecrisis Frets: 2343
    its quite light so you can wear it as a hat