Something Fendery with Reverb and Trem

What's Hot
HaychHaych Frets: 5616
I have an itch for vintage Fender tones with all the wobbly goodness - tremolo is my favourite effect I think. 

Trouble is, I don’t have a Fender budget. I mean I could do it if needed but would rather not as a car purchase is probably on the cards. 

What other amps might scratch this particular itch. The only one that comes to mind is the Peavey Delta Blues but I’m not a massive fan of EL84s although the other classics seem to have quite a sweet clean tone. 

Tremolo doesnt seem to be a very common built in feature really but I’m sure there are many amps out there that have it and I’m just unaware. 

Thanks in advance. 

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    Is it too obvious to suggest getting a really good tremolo pedal? Unfortunately, i have had no experience with trem pedals, so not in a position to recommend one.

At the other end if the scale, you could consider a Princeton reverb-type amp. Didn't somone have one on here going for £550?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    fandango said:
    Is it too obvious to suggest getting a really good tremolo pedal? Unfortunately, i have had no experience with trem pedals, so not in a position to recommend one.

At the other end if the scale, you could consider a Princeton reverb-type amp. Didn't somone have one on here going for £550?

Ah yes ... http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/129902/
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5616
    fandango said:
    fandango said:

Ah yes ... http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/129902/
    As it happens I do have a Carl Martin Surf Trem pedal, and yes ok that takes care of the trem part, although to be fair it didn't sound quite as good as the tremolo in my old Super Reverb.  However, the Fender tones still wouldn't be there through my current rig, neither does my current rig have built in reverb so that's another pedal, the cost of which I might as well pump into a second amp.

I did see the Princeton but it's a bit out of my way to be honest otherwise I might have had a poke.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• KrisGeeKrisGee Frets: 1269
    Old musicman combo, designed by Leo btw. Fender tones, reverb and tremolo on some models. Can't remember which one I had but it ticked all the boxes you're after. 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14411
    edited May 2018
    I have a BOSS FDR-1 pedal. It does modulation* and simulated spring reverb. It even allows tap tempo setting of the wobble. 

The downside is that the pedal is extremely fussy about input signal levels. It much prefers to receive a signal from another pedal rather than directly from a guitar or in the effect send/return loop of an amplifier.

* The usual Leo Fender mislabelling of Tremolo as Vibrato. The FDR-1 pedal modulates volume not pitch.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4180
    I have a Musicman HD130 2x12 Combo sat in my Music room and selling for a friend
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9657
    edited May 2018
    Cheap as chips suggestion is the Champion 40 or 100. Solid state but has very good clean sounds indeed and a small handful of effects which include trem. Turn the gain up past halfway and it can get a bit fizzy. However, kerp the gain lowish and it will do that clean Fendery shimmering sound surprisingly well. 

(Plus you can carry it to the car without doing your back in.)
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11745
    There are always the mustang GT series, divided opinion but all have dozens of effects and the Fender models are supposed to be great.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9514
    edited May 2018
    This has been my own personal journey and struggle, so I can maybe save you some money and time

Amp wise ?

- Princeton - can be picked up cheaply
    - Carr Rambler - can’t be picked up cheaply but king of the Fender/Verb/Trem domain

HOWEVER, as a Rambler owner (and ex Lazy J) I firmly believe that pedal trems/verbs are often better than amp equivalents. In both cases here, I preferred trem/verb from pedals.

The starting point is easy and natural - Strymon Flint. Verb and trem and various types. No brainer....

If you want that older Trem Fender ‘whump’, try the Demeter Trem or Fulltone Supa Trem.
    There is a former here...

http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/130219/fs-ft-lovepedal-eternity-clone-others-sold-providence-tremulator-liquid-s-skreddy#latest

One of my fave trems is the Diamond one. Superb and very versatile.

Reverbs are easy. There are a million about.

- TC HOF
    - Digitech Polara (my personal recommendation)

etc etc

One final recommendation - As an analogue nut, Ive just broken all my rules and purchased the Helix HX effects. Superb trem and verb on that...

Hope that helps !

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    I was playing on a Carr Rambler yesterday and I have to say it is an excellent little amp.
    Coda have a great selection (unfortunately a bit spendy though!!)
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9514
    I was playing on a Carr Rambler yesterday and I have to say it is an excellent little amp.
    I geuninely believe the Rambler is one of the best amps ever made... it takes pedals unbelievably.

Sorry to derail.
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    I geuninely believe the Rambler is one of the best amps ever made... it takes pedals unbelievably.

Sorry to derail.
    Its very nice, very nice indeed but I honestly do believe the Hiwatt SA212 is a better amp. 
    Its just a shame it weighs the same as 6 Carr Ramblers
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.