Marshall 1912 cabinet speaker

What's Hot
chromatunachromatuna Frets: 366
I picked up one of these cabs used a few years back to use with my Tiny Terror. As it turned out I went a different direction with amps and it has lived at my son's house for a few years where I occasionally play it.

The speaker in the 1912 seems a little odd to me, it's the 150w Celestion and sounds almost like it is part way to being a full range speaker. Does anyone have any thoughts on these and what might be a good replacement for a more mid rich tone given the compact and closed nature of the cab. Eminence 128GB maybe? 
This is the truth from hillbilly guitars!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    Any of the classic 12” Celestions, depending on your preference. Bear in mind the cab is ported and will increase the bass response of the speaker, so you probably want something with even more mids and tighter bass than you would normally pick for the same sort of sound... like a V30.

You're right about the G12B-150, I think it was originally designed as a PA bass driver. (I have a pair of the 10” version in a set of Celestion PA cabs.) I assume Marshall used it because the intended purpose for these cabs was as part of a rack system, with a JMP-1, JFX-1, and stereo power amp - so it needed to be a clean cab that behaved almost like a monitor.

I once used one as a very portable bass cab, with a Trace Elliot AH-150... it worked perfectly!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• chromatunachromatuna Frets: 366
    Thanks @ICBM excellent service as always :-) I shall monitor the classifieds. Might even score a Rocket 50 if I am lucky ;-)
    This is the truth from hillbilly guitars!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    Thanks @ICBM excellent service as always :-) I shall monitor the classifieds. Might even score a Rocket 50 if I am lucky ;-)
    I doubt even putting it in a 1912 could actually make one of those sound good :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson