windrush cover up

What's Hot
So there was a vote to not disclose the windrush papers 

May was directly involved as home secretaryat that time
it's a COVER UP
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Comments

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 15255
    edited May 3

it's a COVER UP
    Evidence? Lots of Labour MPs voted with the government or abstained. Javed has said he doesn't want to take civil servants off sorting out the mess and that there would be an enquiry in due course where everything would be disclosed. If there was a smoking gun I'd have thought Labour would have had a three line whip.
    My pump-action drivel gun is smoking hot today!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 711
    Fretwired said:

it's a COVER UP
    Evidence? Lots of Labour MPs voted with the government or abstained. Javed has said he doesn't want to take civil servants off sorting out the mess and that there would be an enquiry in due course where everything would e disclosed. If there was a smoking gun I'd have thought Labour would have had a three line whip.
    Agree about the Labour party mp's. But.....
    Why did the tories have  3 line whip?  TM  on numerous occasions has talked about not hiding, and once again is hiding.
    The enquiry being proposed seems on paper to be paper thin, not independently run and has an extremely short timescale for its scope.

edited May 3
    thomasw88 said:
    Fretwired said:

it's a COVER UP
    Evidence? Lots of Labour MPs voted with the government or abstained. Javed has said he doesn't want to take civil servants off sorting out the mess and that there would be an enquiry in due course where everything would e disclosed. If there was a smoking gun I'd have thought Labour would have had a three line whip.
    Agree about the Labour party mp's. But.....
    Why did the tories have  3 line whip?  TM  on numerous occasions has talked about not hiding, and once again is hiding.
    The enquiry being proposed seems on paper to be paper thin, not independently run and has an extremely short timescale for its scope.

May is probably trying to show who is boss for five minutes before her humiliating climbdown on Brexit 24 hours later.

We pretty much know what has gone on:

Were there targets to remove illegal immigrants? Yes.
    Did Rudd and May know? Yes.
    Were they warned it could affect the Windrush generation? Yes.
    Was the policy started under Labour? Yes

David Lammy has been compiling a file on those affected so we know about that as well. While the cases he has are shocking there don't seem to be that many - hopefully they can be sorted out and those who have suffered should get an apology and compensation.

As a policy deporting illegals is popular with the public, hence Labour sticking to attacking the Tories on the Windrush issue . Should illegal immigrants be deported? Yes, unless it would endanger their lives. There are estimated to be between 1 and 1.5 million illegal immigrants in the UK.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • marantz1300marantz1300 Frets: 1469
    edited May 3

But they are not all Windrush.

They went after easy targets.

there are plenty of illegal's that are hard to find making it  not so easy to meet targets .

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 2227
    There are lots of illegals and one of the reasons given for the leave vote is just that. May was trying to do something about it before the referendum as were labour before her. It's a problem, but at least May did something (and got some of it wrong). Corbin on the other hand remains one of lifes great protesters with little in the way of actual achievement for all those years of public service.
    Part of the problem remains the difficulty of any elected party to effectively administer the civil service, it's like pushing water uphill with a carrot.
    May gets plenty wrong and in true politico style tries to appear teflon coated, good marks for effort and some foresight, but there are failings too (like all leaders).
    The windrush thing is scandelous, those people were invited and contributed, I'd prefer most of them to some of the decendents of those already here!
    Still it makes good press. As you were.

But they are not all Windrush.

They went after easy targets.

there are plenty of illegal's that are hard to find making it  not so easy to meet targets .

No. The vast majority of deportations weren't - I'm not sure any of the Windrush people were deported. That doesn't excuse the way the Windrush people were treated. Part of the issue is civil servants claimed (via a leak) they they warned ministers (May and Rudd) that this could affect the Windrush generation. I guess May and co thought in a war (against illegal immigrants) there will always be collateral damage.

Javid doesn't like May and fancies being Tory leader. He will therefore ensure May and Rudd's dirty washing get's aired in public.