(melodic) metal suggestions

What's Hot
UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12897

Never been the biggest metal head but looking for some suggestions of decent (melodic) metal/hard rock. 

In terms of what I like---love pretty much everything the Deftones have ever done and recently I've got really into the most recent Mastodon stuff (purists will hate this but I reckon Emperor of Sand is their best album by a distance). 

Really not into cookie monster vocals, endless solos, or bands that shift the beat and time signature every bar. Give me a groove and some proper singing, damnit. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• oh_pollooh_pollo Frets: 844
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4500
    Volbeat.  Usually described as the bastard love-child of Metallica and Johnny Cash.

Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • prh777prh777 Frets: 143
  • prh777prh777 Frets: 143
    oh_pollo said:
    this.  Purple album is epic.

oh and 

ASG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpVIOC5_Jx8
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22780
    edited May 2018
    Try Khemmis.  There is a smattering of harsh vocals, but lots of proper singing and strong melodies.

• BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    Pallbearer
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10691
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3065
    Depends what you class as 'melodic metal', really?   I certainly would never have described Mastodon in that category.   

How about Fates Warning?......

• SporkySporky Frets: 28138
    Might be a bit shouty, but Rosetta - tracks to try are Revolve and King Ivory Tower. Also Astronoid.

Also 40 Watt Sun have to get a mention, though they're more bleak than groove. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12897
    Sporky said:
    Might be a bit shouty, but Rosetta - tracks to try are Revolve and King Ivory Tower. Also Astronoid.

-thanks. 

King Ivory Tower by Rosetta was great---but a quick trawl through the rest of that album suggests its mostly instrumental post rock? Not a bad thing, but I'm definitely after more vocal stuff.

40 Watt Sun were cool and I'm going to check them out, but they don't really sound metal to me!! 

Astronoid I really wanted to like but on the tracks I listened to the drummer kept ruining the good bits by defaulting to that double bass drum nonsense all the time. 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28138
    Sporky said:

-thanks. 

King Ivory Tower by Rosetta was great---but a quick trawl through the rest of that album suggests its mostly instrumental post rock? Not a bad thing, but I'm definitely after more vocal stuff.

40 Watt Sun were cool and I'm going to check them out, but they don't really sound metal to me!! 

Astronoid I really wanted to like but on the tracks I listened to the drummer kept ruining the good bits by defaulting to that double bass drum nonsense all the time. 
    For Rosetta, Utopioid is a bit more instrumental, that's true. A Determinism Of Morality has more vocals, and Wake/Lift is worth a go. Both more metal than post - rock, I'd say. 

Maybe Rinoa?
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    RobDavies said:
    Depends what you class as 'melodic metal', really?   I certainly would never have described Mastodon in that category.   

How about Fates Warning?......

-dunno really. Maybe melodic is the wrong word. I'm just not a fan of (endless) cookie monster shouting, guitars down tuned so low you can't hear what they're playing, and drummers just hitting the bass drum as fast as they can...

How would you describe Deftones and (especially latter day) Mastodon then? 

That Fates Warning track is pretty cool although somewhat amusingly given all my other comments the singing lets it down a bit :-D

Keep the suggestions coming guys, I may be picky but I appreciate the help! 
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1508
    edited May 2018
    Mutoid Man - any album but the latest 'War Moans' is a belter
    Torche - 'Meanderthal' and 'Harmonicraft' are classics
    Floor - older stuff is an acquired taste but the latest album 'Oblation' is fantastic

Nevermore may be for you as well. There are solos but not a crazy amount - the riffs and vocals are pretty great. Check out 'This Godless Endeavour'.
    Dopesick said:
    Mutoid Man - any album but the latest 'War Moans' is a belter
    Torche - 'Meanderthal' and 'Harmonicraft' are classics
    Floor - older stuff is an acquired taste but the latest album 'Oblation' is fantastic

Nevermore may be for you as well. There are solos but not a crazy amount - the riffs and vocals are pretty great. Check out 'This Godless Endeavour'.
    Cheers  

Gave them a (very) quick blast on YT. 

Mutoid Man in particular seem really good. Torche and Floor are maybes.

Nevermore lasted about ten seconds. Not for me... Sorry!! 
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1508
    @UnclePsychosis

Yeah I think out of all the bands I recommended, Nevermore would probably be the most challenging. I guess they're more classic metal inclined. I reckon you'll love Mutoid Man and Torche because the songs don't outstay their welcome, they're heavy and they're catchy as fuck. Floor may also be a challenge as they're pretty much a slower version of Torche.
    Dopesick said:
    @UnclePsychosis

Yeah I think out of all the bands I recommended, Nevermore would probably be the most challenging. I guess they're more classic metal inclined. I reckon you'll love Mutoid Man and Torche because the songs don't outstay their welcome, they're heavy and they're catchy as fuck. Floor may also be a challenge as they're pretty much a slower version of Torche.
    Cheers. 

The problem with Nevermore was the drums. I really can't stand that "classic metal" bass drum thing. You all know what I mean. 

I suspect I'm going to run into the problem of not understanding (caring :-D) about the endless sub genres of metal - I could never keep up. So to me bands like Mastodon, Deftones, Rammstein and SOAD are metal but I'm not sure most metal fans see it that way :-D

• How about Black Sites? Riffs, grooves, proper singing and no endless solos.

Just to be clear - I'm not against a bit of shouting (I love Chino Moreno as a vocalist ffs) just not the endless kind. 

@MagicPigDetective that Black Sites stuff is really good. I'm not that sold on the vocals but the instrumental stuff is right up my street. Definitely going to check out more. 
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7960
    Have you ever checked out Devin Townsend?  He does stuff that grooves, and has great melodies.  It's an acquired taste as it often goes absolutely epic with crazy layers of stuff, so if you don't want that it won't be for you.

This is probably my favourite YouTube music video.  What a voice.

• RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3065
    Armoured Saint.....?

Gojira....?