Pedalboard help

What's Hot
YellowLedBetterManYellowLedBetterMan Frets: 1185
Hi.

Ive recently bought a used pedaltrain classic Jr, and am about to put my pedals on with some fresh velcro.

First of all - which way around should I put the velcro? Furry or Fuzzy on the board?

And then second which order? I have at the minute: Cheapo tuner pedal, TC Spark booster, Marshall ED1 Compressor, Tonecity Golden Plexi, Boss OC3, ToneCity Angel Wing Chorus - in that order. Any better way of arranging?
Just so people are aware. I have no idea what any of these words mean.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5128
    I think furry on the board, hooky on the pedals is more common, although if you have the choice it would seem to me that the other way round makes more sense- hooky tape on the bottom of your pedals means they'll stick to rugs and carpets if you use them off board.

If those were my pedals, I'd go:

Tuner
    Compressor
    OC3
    Golden Plexi
    Angel Wing
    Spark

There's no "official" order though- you might prefer the chorus before the distortion- it tends to sound "dirtier", and more a part of the guitar sound rather than being "over the top" of it. 

I've put the booster after the distortion, which should give you a clean volume boost if you're running in to a clean amp, but having the booster in front of the distortion should cause it to act more like a gain boost when the distortion is on as well. Neither is wrong, both have their uses. See what you prefer.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• prowlaprowla Frets: 4896
    Furry on the board.

I have Tuner (inc. kill switch) -> Noise Gate -> FX loop.

In the FX loop I tend to follow the sequence:

1st. Compressor, Pre-Amp
    2nd. Sound generators: Synth & Octave pedals
    3rd. Distortion
    4th. Sound shapers: Wah, Chorus, Phaser, Flanger
    5th. Delay: Reverb, Echo, Loopers

The positioning of the Wah is a matter of choice - some will put it earlier.

Incidentally, after faffing around, I've gone for the EBS flat interconnects.

A great thing about the Pedaltrain Classic Jr board is that you can put your power supply underneath, so it doesn't use up pedalboard space.

Mine currently looks like this (input is on right, two outputs on left, the layout does not reflect the wiring sequence):

My layout can vary; I've got a 2nd Pt Classic Jr and enough pedals to go on that too! I may swap things to separate "traditional" and "synthy" boards.

• smudge_ladsmudge_lad Frets: 653
    Definitely furry on the board - otherwise all the dust, fluff and crap of the day gets stuck on the parts of the board that are un-occupied by pedals (actually illegal on this forum) and it's a nightmare to clean
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    I have a pedaltrain jr. The guidance from  Pedaltrain was run the Velcro along the horizontals but stop where the verticals run down ( ie you’d have an inch or so unvelcroed in the edge of the board). Straight away this turned out to be annoying, you should do it right up to the edge like on the picture posted by @prowla ;

Furry on the board is the usual, if you buy any used pedals already with Velcro on they will usually have the hooks on ( and some new pedals come with pre shaped hooked pieces to stick on).

The problem I’ve had with Velcro is the glue side. So, anything you stick it to make sure it’s clean and grease free first. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    Definitely furry on the board - otherwise all the dust, fluff and crap of the day gets stuck on the parts of the board that are un-occupied by pedals (actually illegal on this forum) and it's a nightmare to clean

Huh. I figured there must be some reason why most people did it that way round.

• smudge_ladsmudge_lad Frets: 653

Huh. I figured there must be some reason why most people did it that way round.

Lesson learned the hard way - luckily it was a small board, and didn't take much to rectify!
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3419
    Nooooo hook on the board, fluff on the pedal. Then your pedals won’t stick to the carpet / sofa / jersey you temporarily place them on and they won’t migrate if you try and use them off board on hard wood stage.

I realise it’s a minority opinion but it’s not my fault most people do it wrong. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I have a pedaltrain jr. The guidance from  Pedaltrain was run the Velcro along the horizontals but stop where the verticals run down ( ie you’d have an inch or so unvelcroed in the edge of the board). Straight away this turned out to be annoying, you should do it right up to the edge like on the picture posted by @prowla ;

Furry on the board is the usual, if you buy any used pedals already with Velcro on they will usually have the hooks on ( and some new pedals come with pre shaped hooked pieces to stick on).

The problem I’ve had with Velcro is the glue side. So, anything you stick it to make sure it’s clean and grease free first. 

Yes, though I have to say that I did it as per instructions and stopped at the side-rails but then I found I had pedals right up to the edges which wobbled, so I then had to add on an extra short length at each end. :-/

Next time, run them full-length.

NB. Generally I would put "side-entry" pedals away from the edge so the connectors don't overhang, but the "top-entry" ones (like the Markbass there and also Aguilars and Boss/Roland double ones) can go all the way to the edge.
    Oh, another thing is beware of pulling off the velcro from the board if you haven't got it on right and you have OCD.

I have another Pt board (a Metro) with the velcro on crooked so I decided to re-do it, but it took off some of the paint when lifted off the old velcro!

I think you have to peel it back rather than lift it off.
  • Dave_VaderDave_Vader Frets: 358
    Nooooo hook on the board, fluff on the pedal. Then your pedals won’t stick to the carpet / sofa / jersey you temporarily place them on and they won’t migrate if you try and use them off board on hard wood stage.

I realise it’s a minority opinion but it’s not my fault most people do it wrong. 
    I have old offcut bits of wood with loop on it from old boards. I whack a bit on the bottom of a pedal being used off board normally.
  • revsorgrevsorg Frets: 874
    I go with the minority view.  I have the fluffy velcro on my pedals.  This means every time someone on Fretboard sells me a pedal with velcro I have to remove it and replace it with fluffy.  My reasoning is that I can't imagine how fluffy on the pedalboard would be easier to keep clean.  Both methods get dirty.  I imagine that fluffy would be horrible to clean.  So arguably it's all in my head.  You'd think that after buying so many pedals I'd cut my losses and swap the velcro on my board, but no, the last time I gave it a spring clean I replaced loops with loops.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1283

Another vote for fluffy on the board, for all the reasons people have said - otherwise the board looks like a sheep in no time!

On the pedal order for me I'd have:

Tuner

Compressor

Chorus

Spark

Plexi

OC3

Possibly switching the OC3 and Plexi (years since I've used one).

I like to use the Spark as a gain boost, gives a pedal a good kick - rather than clean boost after the drive pedal

Absolutely I would never put the Spark in front of the compressor, if you're compressing then kicking the spark in will have a reduced effect, you'll just make the compressor compress more.

I used to use an octave pedal after the drive the reason being that I don't want the drive pedal to see the 'chord' effect of two notes coming in.

And I like modulation before drive, I just do!

peteri said:

I used to use an octave pedal after the drive the reason being that I don't want the drive pedal to see the 'chord' effect of two notes coming in.

And I like modulation before drive, I just do!

Me too!

It's fascinating how many reasons there are why you'd choose to have pedals in one order or another- I'd always put pitch effects before distortion for cleaner tracking, but it absolutely does alter how it sounds with distortion. 

So many cool sounds to be had from doing things the "wrong" way.