How's everyone getting on with the ThorpyFX Fat General?

SlimbertSlimbert Frets: 336
I had mine on pre-order and it's fitted on my board but I still haven't fired it up yet due to ill health.

Anyone had a proper play with theirs?

I'll be trying every setting under the sun but any particular settings that you'd recommend?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TateFXTateFX Frets: 114
    tFB Trader
    I love mine, its an always one pedal for me now. I have it on blend with all the controls straight up the middle. perfect. 
    Formerly Stu_Tate
    Tate FX
    www.TateFX.co.uk
    Instagram 
  • breadfanbreadfan Frets: 379
    edited May 2018
    Slimbert said:
    I still haven't fired it up yet due to ill health.
    Maybe you need to get the ThorpyFX Team Medic, too.  B

I hope you're on the mend. It's frustrating having new toys & not being able to play with them.  :)

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11594
    tFB Trader
    Still waiting for mine - looking forward to it immensely though.....

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• SlimbertSlimbert Frets: 336
    edited May 2018
    They're just great looking pedals...

https://i.imgur.com/vVZR37D.jpg

Hopefully, I'll get a chance over the weekend...nothing else in the diary so the forecast is looking good!
  • markr76markr76 Frets: 360
    Love mine. Just got back from a gig. Didn't switch it off all night. Really love the way it helps retain sparkle when rolling off the guitars volume. Also retains my top end full stop. I've always struggled with compressor pedals until I got this one. It's also great for balancing the difference in output between my strat and les Paul. 
  • DavidReesDavidRees Frets: 335
    generally accepted wisdom is first in the chain right, before any dirt and certainly before any delay/modulations?
  • markr76markr76 Frets: 360
    I have my fuzz face style pedal first in the chain and then my wah. I found the comp sits best after that for my tastes. The fuzz face is germanium so it likes to see the guitars pickups. Plus the wah sends the fuzz face crazy if you pop that before it. So I tried to get the comp as close to the front as possible. 
  • SlimbertSlimbert Frets: 336
    I have my...

wah > whammy > delay 1 > trem > Line 6 M5 > Thorpy overdrive > Thorpy fuzz > fat general > delay 2 > mod 1 > mod 2 > mod 3 > dist 1 > dist 2 > EQ > noise reduction.

That took longer to type than I expected!

I'd definitely place it after mods and delays but other wise just experiment. The first delay in my chain is there only for self oscillating. The second delay is my "proper" delay and is after the Fat General.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    I've generally failed to get on with compressors. If I had won one in the raffle I might have experimented with it after delay which is the old Andy Summers trick. Downside is the further in your chain you have compression the more noise you are compressing ( especially if you have overdrive or fuzz on)but the upside ( I don't think I'll explain this well) is that you retain all your dynamics but have a compressed output - essentially using like you would a compressor in the studio. Apparently low level compression in an FX loop does something similar. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6131
    tFB Trader
    I've generally failed to get on with compressors. If I had won one in the raffle I might have experimented with it after delay which is the old Andy Summers trick. Downside is the further in your chain you have compression the more noise you are compressing ( especially if you have overdrive or fuzz on)but the upside ( I don't think I'll explain this well) is that you retain all your dynamics but have a compressed output - essentially using like you would a compressor in the studio. Apparently low level compression in an FX loop does something similar. 
    The Fat general is a little bit different to most compressors. Firstly it isn’t noisy at all... indeed it’s scarily quiet. It plays nicely with other pedals however the built in buffer means that it must go after a vintage fuzzface style pedal. Basically with the fat general you can place it anywhere in your chain as long as you take into account of your vintage effects. 

Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • Pete24vPete24v Frets: 235
    I love mine, I have it on for every clean sound. It plays nice with other pedals too.

I've always struggled with compressors, either to dark or too squishy. 

The Fat General sounds great straight away with the controls set anywhere. 
  • kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    Love mine too. I loved the dinosaural one and it has the character of that but the 50% blend mode is excellent and a definite always on. Problem is I do like the 100% mode as well for some stuff. Might need two...