Paint advice

Hi guys, just wondering if anyone could give me some advice on a refin I’m about to do on my mustang.
I’ve bought some sealer, colour coat and a nitro gloss from Manchester guitar tech and a load of bits from B&Q so I think I have everything I need.
Going to strip it tomorrow with a heat gun but just thought I’d see what people thought as there seems to be a lot of differing info online.
What grit should I sand to before starting, any sanding in between coats? How many layers of each should I be looking at and what sort of drying time between coats and layers?
I’m planning to do a light relic job to start with but I want it to fade naturally so I’d like a fairly thin finish that will wear fast
Cheers
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CorvusCorvus Frets: 2924
    tFB Trader

Depending on the colour there's not really a need for a clear lacquer. I'd use it over a metallic but not a straight colour normally, unless wanting to add a tint to the base colour. Also less layers gives faster wear, less deep chips etc.

Sanding depends how flat the coats are and how hard the paint is, there's not really one answer. I'd sand the sealer for sure. Generally if you're unsure try a finer grade and go coarser if it's looking hard work. If the sealers nice and flat, 800 grit would do to start. Go coarser if it's lumpy or orange peely.
    Go too coarse early and it's harder work to get those sanding scratches out.

I'd work up to around 1000 grit. The flatter and finer the finish on the sealer/primer/whatever, the colour coat can lay down better with less paint needed, and easier quicker flatting. And quicker wear-through.

I sand a top colour/clear with 1200 grit, 1500, 2000, 3000 but then I polish up for shiney.

Drying time, ask Steve about the sealer. I don't wait days/weeks for nitro colour & clear to sit but some do - it allows for it sinking slightly / 'moving' a bit over time. When we did cars & bikes we'd sand & polish in a day or two.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom