Orgy of Teles?

What's Hot
NiallseroreillyNiallseroreilly Frets: 504
edited May 2018 in Guitar
Just back from the local music shop, sat down with the entire range of teles. Squier, mexican standard, baja, american pro, elite, custom shop. I played them all through a 68 princeton reissue.

Ive owned 3 teles over the last ten years all of which i moved on. 

First thing I would say is they all were lovely guitars in their own right.

I wont go through each of them but for me the Baja was my favourite, pickups were on a par with the custom shop and the neck was fantastic.

I think if the baja body was nitro and the neck was given the relic'd and rolled custom shop treatment... it would have an even better feel.

Any one selling a Baja?

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6898
    Just a thought why didn’t you buy the Baja from the shop?

You might not find another one as good...

Previously known as stevebrum
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12325
    Like a baja but nitro, and reliced neck, hmmm, sounds just like the roadworn tele I'm selling : )
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Iamnobody said:
    Just a thought why didn’t you buy the Baja from the shop?

You might not find another one as good...

Youre right, I probably will. I will admit, counterintuitive it might be, but this place has put me off buying anything new, seeing as someone could be offloading minus 300 quid.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4687

Buy a 2nd hand Baja and also buy a nitro repro body from one of the guys on here, then sell the Baja body.  Will add about £100 to the cost but you’ll get a nice lightweight nitro guitar that should be a keeper.
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7012
    tFB Trader
    I've got a Roadworn in the workshop at the minute and it's a brilliant Tele. 
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12325
    I've got a Roadworn in the workshop at the minute and it's a brilliant Tele. 

I would say it because I bought one but I set a budget of £1200 to buy a tele and compared baja, special, roadworn and standard and roadworn was my favourite.  Baja was not far off standard for a lot less money but the nitro was the big deal for me.
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1377
    An orgy of Teles? Surely the collective noun is a 'spank'?
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rsvmark said: 
    Everyone knows its a Spank of Strats and a Twang of Teles...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16081
    Everybody loves a 2nd hand Baja........just try and find a reasonably light one
    its very easy to de-gloss the neck with a bit of Scotchbrite and fine wire - wool .
    If you must have a nitro look you could get the body over sprayed  when you have played it for a while and know it's a keeper
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4978
    Never be afraid to buy new if the guitar 'speaks' your language. Within a few months you will have forgotten the price paid anyway. And as you found out, guitars can be slightly different from other similar model instruments.

Another question: is forum approval necessary in order to enjoy playing your purchase?
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Rocker said:
    Never be afraid to buy new if the guitar 'speaks' your language. Within a few months you will have forgotten the price paid anyway. And as you found out, guitars can be slightly different from other similar model instruments.

Another question: is forum approval necessary in order to enjoy playing your purchase?
    I wouldnt say necessary.... mandatory
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2512
    The Baja is an amazing guitar. I wasn't looking for one but picked it up in a shop in london (Guitar Classics). The moment I had it in my hands I knew it was right for me. The neck had already been sanded back so felt worn-in which I like.  I hated the poly finish so I stripped it off to reveal the beautiful ash. I am no finisher so I just oiled and waxed it up.  Also aged the harware and got a bakelite guard.  

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14181
    tFB Trader
    rsvmark said:
    I thought it said 'orgy on tele'
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    I tried a load of Teles over a two year period. There was something about the Baja, but I settled on a USA Standard with maple fingerboard. Just need to rob a bank.