Compressors

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Matt_McGMatt_McG Frets: 322
    Durham Sex Drive might also be a good option, as a sort of light boost/compression/sweetener. Not really a true compressor, but it sounds great.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • spirit7spirit7 Frets: 338
    The Wampler Ego is the best Ross-style compressor I’ve played.  You won’t be disappointed!
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    JMP220478 said:
    Fretwired said:
    I'm after a compressor for my pedal board - I play a Strat and I am interested in the TC Hypergravity multi-band compressor. Has anyone used one? I'm also wonder whether a Wampler Ego might be worth trying. I don't want anything that squishes and dulls the sound too much.

Recommendations?
    what are you actually trying to do with the compressor exactly ? 
    Nothing fancy. I play a Strat so I would a little transparent compression to even out the tone and create a punchier tone and add a little sustain. I have a Boss CS3 which is noisy and colours the sound too much for my tastes.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    Cali76 for all your needs
  • I hated the dynacomp, really liked the rothwell lovesqueeze though - regret getting rid of it now!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1058
    I hated the dynacomp, really liked the rothwell lovesqueeze though - regret getting rid of it now!
    I'm using the Rothwell also. Just wish it had a blend knob.
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1958
    Wampler EGO is very good with Strats, so is the BYOC 5 knob compressor. Both are Ross based circuits. I actually prefer the BYOC but use the Wampler because it has markings on the case for which knob does what. The BYOC is a kit in a plain grey diecast box. I was too lazy to paint it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    Another vote for the Koji, best compressor I've ever used  and it's very quiet too.  
  • jf122jf122 Frets: 190
    I hated the dynacomp, really liked the rothwell lovesqueeze though - regret getting rid of it now!
    I also hated the dynacomp. I have a lovesqueeze I could be tempted to sell if you’re interested.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14226
    tFB Trader
    fandango said:
    Keeley Compressor - I've got one and it does a great job.

Or you could try Thorpyfx's Fat General - alas I don't have one, so can't comment. There is a separate thread doing the rounds: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/131148/

just brought one  week ago from @ThorpyFX ;  love - bi-mode so you can have that juicy clip or with the 'blend' option the initial compression is far more subtle, but get the additional sustain - To me it does what so many others don't - Love it - subtle or more dominant and it is effective
  • builttospillbuilttospill Frets: 457
    prowla said:
    I recently bought a Boss CP-1X - it doesn't strangle the sound.
    This too... got one recently adds a certain magic to tone... sounds great at any setting too
  • jdgmjdgm Frets: 852
    Keeley 4-knob for me.
    Also have a VS Route 66 comp/od - very fierce compressor!
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1058
    Perhaps I should rehouse this bad boy in a pedal

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7415
    I'm still in love with the Cali 76 TX I had - it does have a slight colouration but rather than colouration I'd call it BETTERATION 
    Red ones are better. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4093
    I have an mxr custom comp and I can't get a decent sound it of it.  Just seems to degrade my tone or add hiss neither are desirable.   
  • Pete24vPete24v Frets: 235
    I have an mxr custom comp and I can't get a decent sound it of it.  Just seems to degrade my tone or add hiss neither are desirable.   
    I found that with 3 mxr compressors I had
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ruomaruoma Frets: 67
    Had three of em, realized I don’t need em with my tweed amp. Best one was the big Cali, then the cornish. But if you’re on a blackface amp I can understand why..
  • peachespeaches Frets: 45
    If you don't want to dull the sound I'd definitely recommend something with a blend control - having your dry against the comp signal retains all the sparkle you could want.
  • althyalthy Frets: 92
    edited May 2018
    CP-1X as well. pluggin kind of ultra of hi-fi but transparent, quiet (the quietest?), sounds great no matter where in the chain and takes any fuzz or distortion..
    and it is cheap for how good it sounds