Stereo rig..... compliment my AC30

What's Hot
danlptdanlpt Frets: 12
edited May 2018 in Amps
I've decided my rig needs to go stereo, my mobius and timeline are both begging to be used to their full potential and now I'm the only guitarist in my band I'd like to broaden my sound by adding another amp.

I'm wondering what amp would best compliment my AC30HW2. The Vox is on the normal channel set just at the point it gets a little hairy but still 'clean' so I'm thinking something with similar volume but actual clean would pair nicely.

An option suggested to me was the 68 Custom Vibrolux Reverb. What do you guys think?

EDIT: The Vox has greenbacks.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4180
    Fender HRD would be a good partner to the VOX
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1819
    Marshall jtm45?
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9513
    Def something Fender based
  • danlptdanlpt Frets: 12
    Marshall jtm45?
    I'd considered a JTM45, I've always loved them. I'd go Bluesbreaker (Alex Rosamilia of Gaslight runs an AC and BB) but don't fancy the weight!
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    I'd go for something clean, you could go for a Fender, or something slightly more left field like a Roland JC.

You can do some really interesting things in Stereo by putting different effects in each channel.

I've seen a guitarist who had a stereo rig, where the (very) driven tone had a slow, deep tremolo and the clean had a delay. It was sort of chaotic, but sounded really good with the song.
  • MickeyjiMickeyji Frets: 108
    If you don't want to spend much and still have loads of options & good tone, you may want to consider a Fender Mustang V.2
    I've used a V.1 100W as a stereo complement to other amps and it's worked really well.
  • DodgeDodge Frets: 1435
    I'd add another AC30 and have proper stereo, using pedals for the gain.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 2018
    Dodge said:

I'd toyed with the idea of selling the 30 and getting 2 handwired 15s to run in stereo but I really think I'd like some sort of contrasting tones.

Pedals are already used for my gain stages, the Vox is clean with just a touch of very light grit if I really dig in.

Sick As MK2 for low gain
    Rook for higher gain

• danlpt said:
    Dodge said:

I'd toyed with the idea of selling the 30 and getting 2 handwired 15s to run in stereo but I really think I'd like some sort of contrasting tones.

Pedals are already used for my gain stages, the Vox is clean with just a touch of very light grit if I really dig in.

Sick As MK2 for low gain
    Rook for higher gain
    What are the contrasts going to be? I mean, you'll get a ping pong delay, one side will sound different to the other, same with reverb and mod. I'd understand if you were going to be playing with them both on at the same time, one amp could fill the EQ void left by the other, but your plan sounds like you want a stereo field for the pedals to use. In that case, I'd definitely have another Vox.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    Probably doesn't help you but I run a stereo rig sometimes. An RD Amplification Dualist and a lazy j20 :) 
  • Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1271
    edited May 2018
    I’d not bother with stereo and go wet/dry personally. Stereo is a bit pointless for 90% of the audience as only 10% will be anywhere near the stereo sweet spot if you’re lucky. 

If you’re fixed on stereo, two identical amps make more sense. If you go wet/dry then two very different amps might be better. I run a 65DRRI and a JTM45(ish) in my wet/dry set up. Does sound great, particularly if I’m the only guitarist (apart from the quality of my playing of course).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Rowby1 said:
    I’d not bother with stereo and go wet/dry personally. Stereo is a bit pointless for 90% of the audience as only 10% will be anywhere near the stereo sweet spot if you’re lucky. 

If you’re fixed on stereo, two identical amps make more sense. If you go wet/dry then two very different amps might be better. I run a 65DRRI and a JTM45(ish) in my wet/dry set up. Does sound great, particularly if I’m the only guitarist (apart from the quality of my playing of course).
    Yeah, I think maybe wet/dry is how I'd like to go rather than stereo. Mobius and Timeline to one amp, Dirt to both and let FOH mix. I guess I'm after that 2 separate amp sound rather than ping pong stereo. 

• Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1271
    edited May 2018
    danlpt said:
    Rowby1 said:

Yeah, I think maybe wet/dry is how I'd like to go rather than stereo. Mobius and Timeline to one amp, Dirt to both and let FOH mix. I guess I'm after that 2 separate amp sound rather than ping pong stereo. 

In that case then the choice of 2nd amp to contrast with your Vox would depend on what your looking for. Either Fendery clean or Marshally grit as a contrast for example. Both would work well, just depends what you want.

There’s no right or wrong answer to this, just depends what works for you.
    danlpt said:
    Rowby1 said:

I would like to go wet / dry but blowed if I can work out how to do it using my boss ES5 :(
  • pmgpmg Frets: 298
    danlpt said:
    I've decided my rig needs to go stereo, my mobius and timeline are both begging to be used to their full potential and now I'm the only guitarist in my band I'd like to broaden my sound by adding another amp.

I'm wondering what amp would best compliment my AC30HW2. The Vox is on the normal channel set just at the point it gets a little hairy but still 'clean' so I'm thinking something with similar volume but actual clean would pair nicely.

An option suggested to me was the 68 Custom Vibrolux Reverb. What do you guys think?

My bandmate runs this rig but with blues in the Vox 
    edited May 2018
    I've been looking how to do a wet/dry setup with my G2.

As far as I understand it, I set the volume insert to be after my dirt pedals, before my mobius and timeline. In the volume insert goes the Humdinger, and then take my dry signal from that to the amp 1. I then use output 1 to take my wet signal to amp 2

That way, both amps receive my dirt pedals, and only amp 2 gets the wet stuff.

If I'm only using one amp at home or at smaller gigs I just use the wet output.

Do understand that right?
    edited May 2018
    danlpt said:
    Rowby1 said:

I would like to go wet / dry but blowed if I can work out how to do it using my boss ES5
    Not sure with the ES-5. I believe it's easy to do with something with volume insert like the ES-8 or the G2 that I picked up cheap...ish

I played a Vibrolux today and really liked it in the low input of the Bassman circuit. I think it would go well with the AC30.
    edited May 2018

Double Post!
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    Another AC30? I'm sure they could say nice things to each other ;)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • horseheadhorsehead Frets: 220
    I'd suggest something tweedy in a wet/dry mix