Marshall JMP’s - future value

cm01cm01 Frets: 451
edited May 2018 in Amps
I’ve got a cracking 1981 100w JMP head that isn’t likely to be getting much use over the next few years so I’m thinking of selling.  I’m not desperate for the cash and it’s a fantastic sounding beast so just wondering what the perceived wisdom is about the future value of the JMP’s and if it’s worth me holding onto it for another 10 years?

I was going to slightly hijack P90fool’s JMP thread but thought it would be rude 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72294
    1959 or 2203?

I think there is likely to be more long-term value in a 2203, since most buyers who want a 1959 want an older small-logo one.

I think the long-term market for any 100W valve head is likely to be limited, even though values appear to be still going up currently. My guess is that if the market does shrink, the good examples will retain their value but the lesser 'player grade' ones won't.

But unless its current value is enough to make a useful difference to your life right now, I think it's unlikely to actually *fall* in value if it's in at least fairly good condition, so it's probably better to keep it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2749
    I’d agree - I keep halfhearted look out for similar amps in case I can add another one and I think amps like that will hold the value and maybe gain a little but it’s only the older ones that have any investment values.  
    I’d enjoy using it when you can unless you need the space or could use the cash.  
  • cm01cm01 Frets: 451
    It’s a 2203... I’m in Australia and unsurprisingly they seem to go for a little bit more over here - think I’ll hang onto it for a bit as I’m not desperate for the cash 
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7765
    I've seen many for sale for £660-£950. They don't shift easily. Lower wattage or modelling seems to be the future trend, but at the same time players pay double for Friedman stuff in 50 & 100watt ratings which is a head scratcher. 
  • cm01cm01 Frets: 451
    Yeah, I paid £600 for it two years ago including a 2x12 cab so a pretty good deal, so it doesn’t owe me much really