JM’s Strat Odyssey

What's Hot
Hey you crazy cats!

I recently acquired this mid 90’s Mex Strat in a forum trade, intending it to go to the Guitar player in my son’s band who was on the search for a cheap strat. Except the oafish adolescent has now decided that a Jaguar is more in keeping with what he describes as his ‘image’.

Rather than flip it for not very much money I’ve decided to take it on as a ‘project’. Not using strays much at the moment, will then liquidate my custom shop job to fund other projects. Current thinking is to get it back to bare wood and then see what a goodly application of Danish oil will give us.

That’s where I could use a little help: the finish is a pretty thick layer of, I presume, rattle can paint. What’s the best way to get it all off? Heat gun? Nitromors? Belt sander?

Any and all advice gratefully received.

https://imgur.com/a/0EGDm2Y

Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12253
    I have to say that colour is lovely. I'm looking at strat colours at the moment and digging gold silver and copper metallics. 
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8772
    munckee said:
    I have to say that colour is lovely. I'm looking at strat colours at the moment and digging gold silver and copper metallics. 
    You’d be welcome to have it, for modest consideration. Albeit that that might cut my odyssey rather short...
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • gavin_axecastergavin_axecaster Frets: 526
    tFB Trader
    A mid 90s Mexican body will be poplar, so I don't think you're going to find something suitable for an oil finish under that.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    A mid 90s Mexican body will be poplar, so I don't think you're going to find something suitable for an oil finish under that.
    Ooh. How do? Does poplar not take oil, or does it just look a bit crap?
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3044
    It's likely to look very plain of it is Poplar...
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• gavin_axecastergavin_axecaster Frets: 526
    tFB Trader
    Yep, just be very plain. And possibly green.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8820
    tFB Trader
    I got a body from GB that was poplar and it was bordering on swamp ash tbh. Beautiful grain pattern!

knowint fender (and from what I’ve seen) there is probably a reason they use certain bodies for opaque colours..
    Well thanks for the insights fellas. 

Anyone got any tips for removing the artex that’s on it at the moment..? :D 
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • CasperCasterCasperCaster Frets: 760
    As others have said, probably poplar from that period of Fenders Mex manufacture, and cosmetically often not very nice - typically a spread of 5-7 pieces with no attempt to match them. Not a problem under a solid colour, but not nice on a transparent finish. Sunbursts from this era are usually veneered front and back. Often the sunburst is quite broad and covers the contoured areas so that the edge of the veneer is hidden.