Has anyone got experience of the 72 Telecaster Custom

What's Hot
shaunmshaunm Frets: 1597
The one with the single coil bridge and Humbucker neck.

This looks like a good fit for me on paper but I haven’t played one in person for a long time.

I know that the MIM Classic series are well made guitars as I’ve owned/own quite a few of them over the years.

I am specifically looking at the Rosewood/pau board options as I’m not a maple fan.

Are the neck pickups an odd size which would stop them being easily removed and replaced - actually @Van_Hayden I should just ask you directly there. 

Whats your thoughts, good guitar?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14190
    tFB Trader
    The pick-ups are replaceable with other humbuckers regarding the actual physical size of the pick-up  - the issue you might have is the stock pick-ups utilise 4 mounting/adjustable screws - Many replacement humbuckers utilise 2 - So you might find less options available to you - Or you'll have to make a new additional hole in the existing scratchplate, between the 2 existing holes, to mount a regular humbucker - Hope that makes sense

Without touring various pick-up sites, I'm not certain who will offer their humbuckers with 4 mounting screws in stead of 2, as a custom option - Not a problem if you are buying other replacement wide range humbuckers, but unsure if that is what you want - I assume you want a larger choice of more regular humbuckers 
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1597
    Thank you @guitars4you some good info there as I didn’t know that.

I was going to try out something more Vintage/hot in there but that being said I’ve not tried a real wide range. 

Other than the pick up thing are they good? Would you chose this over say a twin Humbucker deluxe as they are the same price point.
    tFB Trader
    The build quality of the MIM and MIJ is excellent - great performance for the money etc so no complaints at my end regarding what they offer - Between the Deluxe version and the Custom then a matter of taste - I prefer the contrast of the humbucker and single on the Custom, but I prefer a fatter sounding Nocaster style pick-up in the bridge position, with more body,balls to compliment the big voice of the humbucker
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14412
    edited May 2018
    shaunm said:
    What's your thoughts, good guitar?
    The MIM versions are affordable and playable but always leave me feeling that something is lacking.

The AVRI is probably better built than the originals. Its body outline looks less ugly than the CBS era aberration. (Long, boring story. Omitted here.)

The originals are messy but possess a unique sound, thanks mainly to the Wide Range Humbucker, the steel bridge saddles and the 1Meg Ohm pots.

If you have never experienced the WRH, you will not feel that you are missing anything. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • JohnnysevenJohnnyseven Frets: 907
    edited May 2018
    The pick-ups are replaceable with other humbuckers regarding the actual physical size of the pick-up
    I'm not sure this is correct. WRHBs are bigger than standard humbuckers and I thought the modern tele deluxes and customs had a standard humbucker inside a WRHB size case with something to fill the gap around them.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1597
    The pick-ups are replaceable with other humbuckers regarding the actual physical size of the pick-up
    I'm not sure this is correct. WRHBs are bigger than standard humbuckers and I though the modern tele deluxes and customs had a standard humbucker inside a WRHB size case with something to fill the gap around them.
    @Johnnyseven ah so I won’t be able to swap the standard “wide range” for a regular Humbucker?
    No. But the modern WRHBs are regular humbuckers in a bigger case anyway, if you want the sound of a regular HB you may like them.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    You could though if you bought a new pickguard with regular sized humbucker holes.
    tFB Trader
    I'm not sure this is correct. WRHBs are bigger than standard humbuckers and I thought the modern tele deluxes and customs had a standard humbucker inside a WRHB size case with something to fill the gap around them.
    I stand corrected and just found out something new - about 1/8" in it or thereabouts, so thanks for that - I'm likely to remember this now once you've made such an error - Looking at them and you'd probably not notice as such - Chances are I've never or can't recall exchanging any WRHB for a regular humbucker - Seen and done many regular Tele's with 'Keef' style mod with pick-up in a regular humbucking surround
  • TravisthedogTravisthedog Frets: 1845
    I have a 73 custom and it's hands down the best tele I've ever played. I've owned mexi and Jap reissues and they don't even come close

https://i.imgur.com/Q3AEPZt.jpg
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom