PRS locking winged tuners

What's Hot
rlwrlw Frets: 4695
F*** me. What a palaver.  Off to Feline soon.
Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72312
    The easiest type of locking tuner to use once you get the hang of it.

But I know some people don't find that...

The good news is that Schaller M6s fit without modifying the headstock.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4695
    ICBM said:
    The easiest type of locking tuner to use once you get the hang of it.

But I know some people don't find that...

The good news is that Schaller M6s fit without modifying the headstock.
    Even the shared hole on the last two.?

I've got through three top Es trying to do this and and am somewhat pissed off - also have a nasty cut from same strings trying to pull hard enough to lock the little buggers.
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7324
    Once you've found the right spot all you need to do is pull the string through tight and then tune. Finding the spot where it will go through is annoying though.
    edited May 2018
    DefaultM said:
    Once you've found the right spot all you need to do is pull the string through tight and then tune. Finding the spot where it will go through is annoying though.
    Especially if you cannot focus at that sort of distance, even with reading/tech glasses.  And define tight?  Pumping veins in the neck or a little tension in the forearm.  I tried both.

I did get it sorted but all the strings were going flat within minutes so something wasn't right.
    rlw said:

Even the shared hole on the last two.?
    You just file off half the loop on the tuner, as PRS did.

rlw said:

I've got through three top Es trying to do this and and am somewhat pissed off - also have a nasty cut from same strings trying to pull hard enough to lock the little buggers.
    You don't need to do that - you push the wing in the direction the string is trying to pull it in. It also helps to bend the string sharply in the opposite direction on the far side of the tuner to help stop it slipping, before cutting off about 1-2mm beyond that. (So it makes a 'z' shape through the slot.)

It really is a beautiful piece of design - but I understand that some people just don't ever get the 'knack' of using them... PRS eventually came to that conclusion as well, which is why they were replaced with the much cruder type with the screw top on the post.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    I found them a nightmare. Ended up fitting some Phase II’s. 
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    They’re super easy to use once you get used to them though like you my first time was an absolute nightmare.  
  • CollingsCollings Frets: 411
    edited May 2018
    I tend to undo the top black screw so then you can see if you have the slot in the right position. Then put it back on before inserting the string in the slot.
    edited May 2018
    Not one to give up, I used my last set of strings and it's almost there but what a bugger.
    What is the point of the screw on top exactly?
    rlw said:
    What is the point of the screw on top exactly?
    It just stops the wing falling off.

• grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3321
    They are a pain on the arse and finger. 
    I eventually got the hang of them but I’d rather use the phase ii type than the winged ones. 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14226
    tFB Trader
    I think you do get use them once you've got the knack, but I dare say phase 11 are easier to explain to a novice about how to do it
  • andy1839andy1839 Frets: 2197
    I took mine off after I snapped the collar, swapped them for a set of schallers. Much happier restringing now. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22788
    ICBM said:
    It really is a beautiful piece of design - but I understand that some people just don't ever get the 'knack' of using them... PRS eventually came to that conclusion as well, which is why they were replaced with the much cruder type with the screw top on the post.
    Didn't they also change them because the winged collars had a tendency to crack?  But I may be misremembering.

I only had one guitar with them, long ago, but I thought they were a really good design.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    edited May 2018
    Philly_Q said:
    ICBM said:
    Didn't they also change them because the winged collars had a tendency to crack?  But I may be misremembering.

I only had one guitar with them, long ago, but I thought they were a really good design.
    I had them on an early 90s Custom and thought they were a really elegant solution. Used properly, they worked really well.

I’ve got Phase 3s on my current PRS - they also work perfectly - but require a coin or screw driver to lock them - whereas the originals didn’t. So not really an improvement....
  • KrisGeeKrisGee Frets: 1286
    Worst tuners ever, making them work is a pain in the ass (and a thumb). Or I'm a retard.
    Had them on 3 guitars, changed to m6 every time. There are people who will buy them of you, weird eh?
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    I don't have a guitar with them on now, but I like them.  Really quick to do string changes.

The new ones are fine as well.
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    The phase 3's seem to only need to be fingertight to lock unless of course I've got superstrength fingers
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3321
    normula1 said:
    The phase 3's seem to only need to be fingertight to lock unless of course I've got superstrength fingers
    Yeah all the phase ii or iii’s need is a quarter turn with my pick to lock them after I’ve used my fingers.