Tool to adjust tune o Matic tailpiece?!

I’ve damaged both screws a bit due to screwdriver that’s too narrow/thin. What do people use to lower the screws down without mangling the metal. I’m hoping this isn’t too stupid a question...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    If you slacken the strings you'll find they can be turned by the fingers.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16668
    i coin works better than a screwdriver.  
  • scarry67scarry67 Frets: 143
    I didn’t completely slacken strings before lowering it and I think we can safely say that was an error. Will also try hand-turning the beggars. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72311
    WezV said:
    i coin works better than a screwdriver.  
    Yes - don't use a screwdriver. The Gibson tailpiece studs are intended to be turned with a coin - it's not a bodge to use one, the slots are deliberately dished to take one of the standard US coins, I forget which. A UK 2p or 10p should fit.

Loosening the strings fully doesn't always make it possible to turn them easily by hand, sometimes they can be a bit tight in the threads - they can also jam if the tailpiece gets too far off level, if you haven't taken it right off.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

I found a 3-sided metal bracket in the old toolbox and it fits nicely and has plenty of grip but the treble side is mighty stiff. Perhaps it’s a bit awry. 
    scarry67 said:
    I found a 3-sided metal bracket in the old toolbox and it fits nicely and has plenty of grip but the treble side is mighty stiff. Perhaps it’s a bit awry. 
    Don’t force it.  Take the strings off, loosen it totally and reinstall
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72311
    WezV said:

Take the strings and bridge off, loosen it totally and reinstall
    Do this. Also, just in case there's some polish residue or other crap in there which is blocking it, while the post is out turn the guitar upside down and smack it a few times on the back directly behind the insert. (You will want to take the bridge off before doing this too ;).)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

New strings soon so I’ll give whole thing a clean up and see what happens!
    ICBM said:
     (You will want to take the bridge off before doing this too ;).)
    or forget and panic when you hear soemthingclang on the floor