Pulled the knob off my Soul Food

What's Hot
Dave_VaderDave_Vader Frets: 358
Got me a new (second hand) Soul Food this weekend, and started fiddling with it.
Noticing the drive knob was a bit loose I decided to pry it off ti tighten the nut, like on a normal pedal.
I was surprised to find the whole bloody thing came off. It seems to be some kind of mini pot inside, and the knob on top has a little rectangle that fits in to turn it.
Just a cautionary tale for anybody who is about to do the same thing, don't prise it up with a spoon.

Am going to superglue it all back together later, unless that's a bad idea, I don't have any of the black goo it seems to have been stuck with originally.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    Are you saying the whole pot has come off the pedal? Sounds like it may need soldering back if so.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14320
    More likely, the pot shaft has separated from the wiper parts inside the chassis. Typical EHX *quality*. 
    Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    I love pulling my knob off 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    edited May 2018
    Surely there were more posts yesterday? Now they’ve disappeared.

@ttony @digitalscream - what’s going on? Noticed this with several other threads recently.

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27342
    fandango said:

I've just read through sixteen pages of change log for yesterday and could find nothing.  Are you sure @fandango?

fandango said:
    Noticed this with several other threads recently.

1.  Are you sure?
    2.  Specifics please.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    TTony said:
    fandango said:

I've just read through sixteen pages of change log for yesterday and could find nothing.  Are you sure @fandango?

fandango said:
    Noticed this with several other threads recently.

1.  Are you sure?
    2.  Specifics please.
    Mmmmmm. Other than doing screen shots.....
    fandango said:

@ttony @digitalscream - what’s going on? Noticed this with several other threads recently.

Don't think so, I far as I recall the OP was only posted yesterday evening. I posted the first reply last night 10-11pmish and Funkfingers added his post a bit later.
    timmysoft said:
    I love pulling my knob off 
    Not so good when the shaft comes off in your hand though :o
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_VaderDave_Vader Frets: 358
    More likely, the pot shaft has separated from the wiper parts inside the chassis. Typical EHX *quality*. 
    It's not even a real pot - I think it's a trim pot with a weird shaft assembly on top to look like a real pot.
    Will get photos tonight to show you, it works fine, you just need to push the knob bit down firmly and it's ok. Equally, you could turn it with a flat head screwdriver - like a trim pot.

• vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3664
    If you can't fix it yourself, try @Danny1969 who fixed my Soul Food for me when a mate stuck the wrong power supply in it.
    Octafish said:
    fandango said:

Don't think so, I far as I recall the OP was only posted yesterday evening. I posted the first reply last night 10-11pmish and Funkfingers added his post a bit later.
    Okay. Must have been seeing things.
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1813
    fandango said:
    Octafish said:
    fandango said:

Maybe it was sun stroke ;)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • fandango said:
    Octafish said:
    fandango said:

Count yourself lucky, pulling the end off it too much can cause blindness.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    fandango said:
    Octafish said:
    fandango said:

Count yourself lucky, pulling the end off it too much can cause blindness.
    They call me Tommy....

I don't know if it's clear,  but there's a rectangle on the bottom of the 'knob' section that slots in to the 'pot' section. 
    I can twist it with a fingernail, not ideal, but at least the drive settings don't move when the board's in the bag.
    Superglue has so far been unsuccesful.
    Pic is a bit blurry, but looks like you've snapped the shaft. Ultimately it needs a new pot, you could try using some quick steel or epoxy glue, but there's a danger it will seep into the pot and weld it in position. Looks like they're held in place purely by being soldered to the board, so rather vulnerable.

There's a bit on Soul Food knobs in this thread
    Octafish said:
    Pic is a bit blurry, but looks like you've snapped the shaft. Ultimately it needs a new pot, you could try using some quick steel or epoxy glue, but there's a danger it will seep into the pot and weld it in position. Looks like they're held in place purely by being soldered to the board, so rather vulnerable.

With the alternative being to solder in a whole new pot, I suppose there's nothing to lose by going with epoxy then. Worst case, broken pot gets more broken.
    Will give it a go later.

Octafish said:

With the alternative being to solder in a whole new pot, I suppose there's nothing to lose by going with epoxy then. Worst case, broken pot gets more broken.
    Will give it a go later.

Yep that's a good point. Looks like it's a dual gang pot with six connectors in a line rather than the usual 3+3, good luck!