Sasquatch and on ... Huddersfield Jam #2

What's Hot

Comments

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11746
    edited June 2018
    What were the extra events?
    Sorry, I'm just so busy these days I may have read and forgotten. That's a shame
    I believe @ttony was going to try and get involved some industry names to do workshops and demos etc.

At the Northampton jam @ThorpyFX was kind enough to demo some of his new projects with @impmann providing guitar playing skills.  So I guess a chunk of that kind of thing.

After all, some of the regular posters here are leading lights of the UK guitar industry and some of the best dealers post here as well.

Correct me if I'm wrong @TTony ;
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27435
    Spot on @darthed1981 :)

If we'd got 50-odd people there, over the two days, then it starts to become interesting for some of the UK businesses - and not just the smaller ones who post here - particularly when you throw in all the post-event chatter here, the livestreaming, and the press coverage.  

It's not *just* about the opportunities to do deals-on-the-day with those attending, its also about the social media (into Google via the forum) noise thats generated.

With 20 attendees, its not so worthwhile.

Its also my credibility, and the credibility of the people helping me pull it together.  We were pushing it as a decent sized and popular event (UK's largest guitar forum, big weekend party, lots of real people doing real playing, separate "gig", etc).

But we were struggling to persuade 20 people to turn up.  Reduce that for the inevitable last minute cant-make-its and no-shows and its one of those empty room events!

Hence the extras are cancelled.

The Huddersfield meetup & jam/gig can still happen.  Legionr & bridgehouse are sorting that.

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2039
    edited June 2018
    fandango said:

Anyway, it's a great shame, especially for those who did commit.

Since I have no idea what the extra bits that have been cancelled would have been anyway, it makes no difference for me personally.  The social and playing aspects are unaffected.

One idea I had was to have a "show and tell", where we get a few tasty guitars together in one of the rooms at a set time on the Sunday and we go round the owners giving a little chat about the instrument and a play so we all get to hear how it sounds.  That sort of thing doesn't rely on external factors so can still go ahead.

One idea I had was to have a "show and tell", where we get a few tasty guitars together in one of the rooms at a set time on the Sunday and we go round the owners giving a little chat about the instrument and a play so we all get to hear how it sounds.  That sort of thing doesn't rely on external factors so can still go ahead.
    I was thinking of having a "take a load of pills and lie down somewhere feeling a bit ill" on the Sunday, I might play lying down....

I can't take my drink anymore :)
  • pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    Need small events/workshops? We can all do that eg teaching a favourite song or riff or lick.
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    I know the guy that runs You Bring The Band and he's class! I bet he'd show up with some interesting stuff if there's free press in it ;)

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3671
    That's a good idea. if anyone has a Helix, I'd love to see how it does recreating my huge BOSS ES-8 pedalboard.
  • I know the guy that runs You Bring The Band and he's class! I bet he'd show up with some interesting stuff if there's free press in it ;)
    As a professional copywriter of more than 30 years standing, I'd be more than happy to write some PR to send to the music/guitar/local/regional press about it all, if that would help.

For free, obvs.
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2243
    As a professional marketer with a piece of paper to say I are what I am I'd be happy to attend. 
    I've paid obv ;)

Also ready for the t-shirt design contest!
  • monofinmonofin Frets: 1118
    I may be being really really thick but I can't see what date this is planned for?
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    monofin said:
    I may be being really really thick but I can't see what date this is planned for?
    4th and 5th August 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • monofinmonofin Frets: 1118
    monofin said:
    4th and 5th August 
    Thanks. I'll check Holiday plans etc.
    dont know how but I missed all this until now
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24798
    monofin said:
    4th and 5th August 
    Thanks. I'll check Holiday plans etc.
    dont know how but I missed all this until now
    Hope you can make it - the more the merrier!
  • TADodgerTADodger Frets: 211
    Sorry, late to this, but keen for this to happen and I can be in for both days.

But.... is it possible that the format is the problem in attracting new people... would it be more attractive to offer some coaching for less experienced players so they feed in gently, and with support to the (later) set list songs (maybe in a less focussed arena than the setlist room) perhaps?

Also, would it be worth saying that people don't have to 'perform' and could just come to 'twiddle' and meet people? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • stickersticker Frets: 869
    edited June 2018
    I’m happy to play rhythm guitar,bass, backing vox or less ’rocky’ lead vox , shake a tambourine , whatever’s required  for anyone that needs it . 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2243
    TADodger said:

But.... is it possible that the format is the problem in attracting new people... would it be more attractive to offer some coaching for less experienced players so they feed in gently, and with support to the (later) set list songs (maybe in a less focussed arena than the setlist room) perhaps?

Also, would it be worth saying that people don't have to 'perform' and could just come to 'twiddle' and meet people? 
    I seem to remember during the long discussion during the set up of the first quad jam there was talk of all sorts of demonstrations, guitar set ups, and other stuff like that? 

During last Huddersfield session custom pedalboards bought some goodies which was cool, but that was about it. 
    So yeah... More stuff! :)
    TADodger said:

@TADodger I think there will be other rooms available, so if a few of the jammers can organise we could always do a couple of songs in another room without the pressure of being recorded.  Just need a drummer and bassist to volunteer, though even I could possibly play some roots on a borrowed bass, maybe...

The atmosphere at these days remains a group of musicians meeting as friends and supporting each other, that has been my experience at the three days I've been to, and if there is anything I can do to help anyone I'll always try :)

Good that you are coming :)
    LuttiS said:
    TADodger said:

I seem to remember during the long discussion during the set up of the first quad jam there was talk of all sorts of demonstrations, guitar set ups, and other stuff like that? 

During last Huddersfield session custom pedalboards bought some goodies which was cool, but that was about it. 
    So yeah... More stuff! :)
    I believe the intention for this party was planning on doing a LOT of that kind of thing and just didn't get enough signees, even from the original list of "interested parties".  See posts up-thread from @TTony

That said the gig that @Legionreturns has organised this time is a new and exciting idea I'm quite stoked about.  It's like the jams but with an audience, some beer and a barbecue!

I know some attendees have some lovely gear they are bringing, I remember a lovely set of vintage guitars bought to Woking.  I've never met a guitarist yet who doesn't like explaining all their gear!

Also there is a lot of pleasure for me in just being able to go into a room with a marshall and a 4x12 and get some serious volume going.
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2039
    edited June 2018
    TADodger said:

I'm a guitar tutor and would be happy to coach anyone who wants it - perhaps they have a song they want to play but want some help in learning it.  Would be lovely to help bring them to a standard where they can record it in the live room or play it on stage at the gig.

I could also offer one or two pre-planned communal lessons/lectures in jazzing up chords and improvising over changes if that sort of thing is of interest.  That sort of thing might add a lot of value and could mean the weekend is less intimidating to beginners or those looking to improve.
  • TADodgerTADodger Frets: 211
    i just wondered if the whole signing up to a song list and having to 'practice' puts a few people off is all........
This discussion has been closed.