Sasquatch and on ... Huddersfield Jam #2

What's Hot

Comments

• mrkbmrkb Frets: 6792
    edited June 2018
    To @slacker and @mrkb do you have "idols" you are working towards, or looking to find your own lead playing styles as you go? 

I'm just curious, myself, there are certain players I'd like to make music like (Bernard Butler, Graham Coxon, James Dean Bradfield, Johnny Marr, Johnny Greenwood, Noel Gallagher etc,) but I always find myself looking at their lead lines tabbed out and noodling around them, to probably quite unimpressive effect!

It's like there is a box, and you are gradually trying to unlock the box, you get one catch loose then keep trying the same thing on the other catches and they get a bit loose, but others dont budge at all!
    Yep, I want you play rhythmically interesting lead/chord styles like Hendrix and solo like Slash! Lol! I’m nowhere near, but have changed my learning approach recently which has really worked for me. I’m now learning the songs (as I did before) - but trying to learn ALL the guitar parts AND look at the theory that they use to see how the dong works. As an example the first two riffs in the intro to Wind Cries Mary are the same three chords using two chord inversion types - that means I can use that method in other songs or other chords progressions. Same with Come Together fromrecent jam session - I found tab for the solo, learnt it, then worked out it was D Minor pentatonic and looked at the key bends and what else could I add to that solo so I can ad-lib without feeling totally lost. I’m doing the same with the chord progressions - work out how they relate to the key, then play them in another positions (CAGED) or inversion styles so Im merging theory (which I can apply to other songs) with real examples that I enjoy playing. Not sure why it took me so long to work this out! The Desi Serna course I keep mentioning has really helped me get into this method. 

we should probably start a new thread to talk about this.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11754
    Snags said:
    Edit: and for my money, you don't need to worry about drop-D for Ace of Spades, either. Unless you're playing it in a weird key.

Only so I can play power chords with one finger while singing, so I don't fluff so much, not for any legit technical reason! ;)
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    slacker said:

It's about developing as a musician and I think that you and Mark are very useful in any band because you can sing and play more than root position chords.you could front a 3 piece or add a keyboard or another guitar.

Thanks @slacker that means a lot.
    mrkb said:
    To @slacker and @mrkb do you have "idols" you are working towards, or looking to find your own lead playing styles as you go? 

I'm just curious, myself, there are certain players I'd like to make music like (Bernard Butler, Graham Coxon, James Dean Bradfield, Johnny Marr, Johnny Greenwood, Noel Gallagher etc,) but I always find myself looking at their lead lines tabbed out and noodling around them, to probably quite unimpressive effect!

It's like there is a box, and you are gradually trying to unlock the box, you get one catch loose then keep trying the same thing on the other catches and they get a bit loose, but others dont budge at all!
    Yep, I want you play rhythmically interesting lead/chord styles like Hendrix and solo like Slash! Lol! I’m nowhere near, but have changed my learning approach recently which has really worked for me. I’m now learning the songs (as I did before) - but trying to learn ALL the guitar parts AND look at the theory that they use to see how the dong works. As an example the first two riffs in the intro to Wind Cries Mary are the same three chords using two chord inversion types - that means I can use that method in other songs or other chords progressions. Same with Come Together fromrecent jam session - I found tab for the solo, learnt it, then worked out it was D Minor pentatonic and looked at the key bends and what else could I add to that solo so I can ad-lib without feeling totally lost. I’m doing the same with the chord progressions - work out how they relate to the key, then play them in another positions (CAGED) or inversion styles so Im merging theory (which I can apply to other songs) with real examples that I enjoy playing. Not sure why it took me so long to work this out! The Desi Serna course I keep mentioning has really helped me get into this method. 

we should probably start a new thread to talk about this.
    Indeed.  Consider it done.
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5368
    Snags said:
    Edit: and for my money, you don't need to worry about drop-D for Ace of Spades, either. Unless you're playing it in a weird key.

Only so I can play power chords with one finger while singing, so I don't fluff so much, not for any legit technical reason! ;)
    Have some faith in yourself! Just use index and third, or index and pinky (autocorrect wanted pinot) in "rock horns" style. You won't fluff it, and you get to keep the open E to add depth to the main riff. You'll be fine.
    Snags said:
    Snags said:

Have some faith in yourself! Just use index and third, or index and pinky (autocorrect wanted pinot) in "rock horns" style. You won't fluff it, and you get to keep the open E to add depth to the main riff. You'll be fine.
    I've just practised it and you are quite right it will be better without drop D, thanks.
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    Second shout out to anyone with some Graphic Design skills? 

The club would like a poster and flier to put out advertising our mini gig. 

Pretty please? 
    Re posting this, as it's important and already gone a page back! 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you

Pretty please? 
    I'd happily knock something up in publisher but I'm no graphic designer.

I'm guessing you want something a bit... good?

Still if no-one else steps forward I can do something?
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099

Pretty please? 
    What do you need? I’m happy to knock something up for you!
    poopot said:

Pretty please? 
    What do you need? I’m happy to knock something up for you!
    A simple poster and flier advertising the gig. I've got tFB artwork, and details of the venue etc so it's just someone with the tools to make them!

Pm’d
    **Important** 

Following on from the sad announcement that Tony and Lee are stepping away from forum life, I just wanted to reassure everyone that this is still very much happening. 

I've spoken to Mark, without whom this would be infinitely more difficult, and he's still "in" and happy to keep us on track at the jam. 

I'm not taking my foot off the gas for this either. Too much bloody work has gone into it to ditch it now. 

So we're on like Donkey Kong and it'll be ace. 

It may well mean we need another pair of hands in the run up and on the day, but I'll ask if there's anything specific.

In the mean time, go out and flog the rest of the spaces! Go! 

I mean NOW!

WHY ARE YOU STILL HERE? SELL! 

• mrkbmrkb Frets: 6792
    I’m happy to help out over the weekend- let me know if you need anything.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1

WHY ARE YOU STILL HERE? SELL! 
    I've been trying in every thread I can!
    mrkb said:
    I’m happy to help out over the weekend- let me know if you need anything.
    Thought about drum duties for the gig? 

We may have to hire one...

Many thanks to @poopot , we now have a damn cool poster which the club will start distributing soon. Do you want to show them or should I? 

Next question... a while back I had some quotes for t shirts. I don't have a design yet, but I do have tFB artwork. Shall we have a competition to design one? Assuming we have one available for about a tenner, who would order one? Money would be due in advance,  as I'm not getting stung like Tony did at Leicester!

Many thanks to @poopot , we now have a damn cool poster which the club will start distributing soon. Do you want to show them or should I? 

Next question... a while back I had some quotes for t shirts. I don't have a design yet, but I do have tFB artwork. Shall we have a competition to design one? Assuming we have one available for about a tenner, who would order one? Money would be due in advance,  as I'm not getting stung like Tony did at Leicester!
    Can they be black or similar dark colour?  More flattering to my ample form...

Can they be black or similar dark colour?  More flattering to my ample form...
    I would think so, yes. If anyone wants a stab at designing something, PM me and I'll get the logo over to you  

edited June 2018
    It’s here: 

spread the word people!!!!

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Doh! @poopot ...proof reading fail on my part... that says 14th, not 4th! 

This discussion has been closed.