Pedals vs no pedals

What's Hot
timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
i love pedals, I think they’re great and there’s lots of unique tones available with just a slight movement of your foot, but ......

going straight in is bloody cool too. I revalved and changed the speaker in my budda at the weekend so I plugged in with no pedals for the first time in months and I’d forgotten how good the amp sound was! 

Thoughts. Cool story bro 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    Agree. The amp really begins to shine going straight in.

But... just adding a touch of delay, reverb or tremolo is magic. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    This has been me for at least 5-6 years. Mainly due to spending the money on our house and more recently the business. Pedals weren’t a priority tbh.

But, it taught me to dial in a good tone from the amp and fine tune it with my guitar. It’s only recently I’ve decided that I’ll be getting more pedals gradually. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    I had an AOR30 a long time ago. I was all about gain in those days, and was for ever trying to get my sound. I think it was due to lack of headroom.

Every now and then I would just go straight and it was heaven. Two channels with foot switch. I ended up selling the amp. Eventually getting a MkIV Sound City, which is single channel and a more obvious pedal platform
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    It has made me think that maybe my money in pedals isn’t the best way to invest it! If I can get the tones I need from the amp and guitar then the pedals are obsolete.

maybe a purge is about to happen
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    I play my JTM45 with just a splash of reverb and nothing else, it's such a great sounding amp that I just don't feel the need to run any other pedals with it.
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    I think it depends on what your using pedals for and what music you play. Whilst I have some drive pedals, I mainly use effects for sounds that an amp can't provide - delay, modulation, fuzz. I use these sounds particularly for song writing/recording/live performance because I like different textures/sounds (which become part of the composition) and I play rock/psyc/folk/dubby stuff.

I guess if you play more blues/jazz type stuff that your more likely to use a clean or lightly overdriven sound which you can get from an amp.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Octafish said:
    I think it depends on what your using pedals for and what music you play. Whilst I have some drive pedals, I mainly use effects for sounds that an amp can't provide - delay, modulation, fuzz. I use these sounds particularly for song writing/recording/live performance because I like different textures/sounds (which become part of the composition) and I play rock/psyc/folk/dubby stuff.

I guess if you play more blues/jazz type stuff that your more likely to use a clean or lightly overdriven sound which you can get from an amp.
    I’m in a emo/screamo revival band, so I only really need varying degrees of filth! 
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    timmysoft said:
    Octafish said:

I’m in a emo/screamo revival band, so I only really need varying degrees of filth! 
    Ah, has your amp got good filth facailities? I've got a Fender Deville which sounds great cranked clean or into breaking up, but the drive channel's a bag of arse.
    Octafish said:
    timmysoft said:
    Octafish said:

Ah, has your amp got good filth facailities? I've got a Fender Deville which sounds great cranked clean or into breaking up, but the drive channel's a bag of arse.
    Yeah, the Budda SuperDrive has some of the best filths possible, so I’m very tempted to just switch back to that 
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5137
    Octafish said:

Exactly. Just tools for certain jobs.

Don't need pedals for what you want to play? Good for you. Don't use them. 

Need pedals? Good for you. Use them.

The only time it matters whether you're using pedals or how many you have is when the presence or lack of a pedal is getting in the way of you making the music you're trying to make. If a pedal is distracting, or tempting you in to clichés, ditch it. If not having a pedal is holding you back, don't let some bullshit about how straight in to the amp is "purer" get in the way.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1087
    I would love to plug straight into my amp but I can't play without my tuner pedal, noise gate and tubescreamer. But other than that I'm very minimalist in terms of pedals, I don't use choruses/delays/flangers/reverbs, etc and have hoards of pedals on the floor. If anything goes wrong live its usually the pedalboard and diagnosing it on a small ass stage mid-set when its dark as fuck isn't my idea of fun.

I feel the main part of the sound should come from the hands, guitar and amp. Pedals just enhance it, not give the tone.
  • lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2896
    edited May 2018
    I keep hearing having this debate in my head too! Probably going to have to sell my amp soon and in the interim was thinking I'd pick up one of those cheap Tone City dual pedal to use with rehearsal room amps. Then I got thinking maybe I could spend a bit more money and get a nice high gain drive pedal like a Bogner red or the Mercury 2 you use, meaning I can just plug into any backline amp have kinda have my tone all on the pedalboard. But as I like pretty big, high gain stuff it seems like I'd be better off with just saving again for a decent valve amp, as that is "the done thing" for big modern tones.
    TTBZ said:
    I keep hearing having this debate in my head too! Probably going to have to sell my amp soon and in the interim was thinking I'd pick up one of those cheap Tone City dual pedal to use with rehearsal room amps. Then I got thinking maybe I could spend a bit more money and get a nice high gain drive pedal like a Bogner red or the Mercury 2 you use, meaning I can just plug into any backline amp have kinda have my tone all on the pedalboard. But as I like pretty big, high gain stuff it seems like I'd be better off with just saving again for a decent valve amp, as that is "the done thing" for big modern tones.
    I’m a high gainer too, so I’ve decided to just go for my amp and sell off the pedals, I don’t need effects just loads of gain
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9528
    I’ve been down this road, and back again...!

Im now amazed at the amount of pedals people own, and how much money is wrapped up in them (I was one of these people). I love pedals, but on the whole, they really do not represent value for money, imho.

I realised that selling several pedals, quickly released funds towards some quality amps. Im now fortunate to own two world class amps; and there are many out there.

After years of trial and error, Im actually getting close to being sorted.

My recent Redplate CDS2 (amp) has been a total game changer; Im now rehearsing with just the amp and NO effects with the band. Using the tweed/clean option, then add ing the 'boost' and/or the 'drive' as I need it. Completely superb. A bit noisy on the clean channel actually, but Im sensing a re-valve will sort that out...

I don't think Ill ever need an overdrive for the Redplate again... but I've said that before 

I do use a Carr Rambler (clean) at home...

I have took a surprising turn though, as you know, I've just purchased a Line 6 HX Effects ! Well, I decided that some effects would be needed with the band, and I wanted something small and simple. It is very VERY good sounding, and the new reverbs and delays have replaced the previously average effects in the Helix range.

I ran a very simple set up this weekend (at home) with the Carr Rambler on the left channel and the Redplate CDS2 on the right channel. Quite simply incredible sounding...
  • lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    The trauma upon realising that the years of steadily putting together a perfect pedalboard only to discover that a great amp (a redplate received from the aforeposted wazmeister) would eliminate eq, comp, drive, boost, mid boost and reverb, not to mention tweed and blackface voicing has encouraged me to play rather than twiddle. The cull survivors remain modulation fx such as tremolo, vibe, Leslie, wah and some almighty fuzz. 
    In no way am I advocating no more pedals, rather that the amp provides its own fx: voicing, boost, mid-boost, drive, reverb and tremolo. I avoided amp fx in the past as they seemed to be a gimmic, an extra, often solid state or digital. Boutique amps, the redplate especially, quickly changed my opinion. 
    However, my other amps continue to require the aforementioned pedals as they make them sound so good. Moreover, I guess pedals better suit individual ears. As long as an doesn’t prevent your playing style, both options are valid. Nevertheless, an increased budget on amps than pedals is a smart move.
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2236
    About 14 years ago I arranged a jam for a pedal forum, about 6 of us turned up at a rehearsal studio. We collectively had hundreds of boutique and vintage pedals.

The owner let us use the backline, which was a plexi halfstack, a blackface super and a grey panel ac30.It really didn't matter what drive pedal we used. Guitars and over drives added different flavours.

I have two awesome el84 amps it took a while to realise that el84s work for me. I then add guitars and pedals i have 4 very different electric guitars. I have three pedalboard.

The music will always dictate the sound. I've got a friend coming over for a jam on Saturday, we will use all of my pedals and some of his. At the water rats jam I'll take a drive pedal or two.at my brother in laws folk jam I'll take an acoustic.

• shaunmshaunm Frets: 1598
    Im in two bands. 

One is a straight up rock and roll roll Band where the only pedals I need is a drive pedal a tuner and a Trem. 

The other project is an insrumental band where it’s a little bit more “soundscape” so pedals are a massive thing in that band. 

Do I need all of them? No, would I go into the studio to record the instrumental stuff without all of them? Absolutely not. Even if I use them for one moment it’s worth it. 

That being said, the best tone I have had so far on the recording sessions for the instrumental album has been guitar into my amp which was turned up all the way. It sounds excellent when you can ride the volume on the guitar to get feedback. The problem is, that’s just not possible in a live setting as it’s too loud and unpredictable so a pedal is a massive help. 

Out of all my favourite guitarists I can’t think that may of them played without at least one pedal. Most of them use several. 
  • FezFez Frets: 522
    It's an age old discussion but there's no right or wrong. Sometimes it can be liberating to play without all the frippery of pedals, other times a pedal can make a sound that really inspires you.

Don't touch that dial.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    It all depends on what you use fx for. I've always preferred amp dirt and if I was doing the blues / rock thing it would be a very minimal pedal board. 

But pedals do incredible things. Guitar + pedsls is like what synths are to piano.

All great in the right situation
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom