Wilko/Daltrey

What's Hot
mcsdanmcsdan Frets: 451
Not sure if this has been posted but check out the Wilko Johnson/Roger Daltrey album.

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/album/going-back-home/id825662886

Helps a good cause too.

Good one Wilko.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9662
    Just bought it - well two copies actually as one's going to a mate. Hadn't spotted that proceeds were going to a good cause (Teenage Cancer Trust) so that's a nice bonus especially as said mate has had a brush with the big C. Excellent album too.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • I've heard a few tracks on that and definitely want to get it. Simon Mayo on R2 has been giving "Keep it to myself" a fair bit of airplay and good vibes, too.
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
  • bigdawgbigdawg Frets: 51
    Ive got it...

I love wilko and the who but I just cant get into this album.  Maybe becasue I grew up with the feelgood albums that daltrey actually singing them doesnt sound quite right...  
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2477
    Mine should be arriving on Monday and TBH I'm not even bothered if I like it (I have the same misgivings as @bigdawg). I'm buying it for 2 reasons, 1 the charity aspect and 2 to keep it as high in the charts as possible so that Wilko knows how much people actually care.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27455
    bigdawg said:
    Ive got it...

I love wilko and the who but I just cant get into this album.  Maybe becasue I grew up with the feelgood albums that daltrey actually singing them doesnt sound quite right...  
    That's pretty much how I felt about it for the first few plays.

But you're right, it's not a Feelgoods album, nor a Who album - it's something different to both of those.  Daltrey's voice is in incredible shape and when you've played it a few times and got past the "it doesn't sound like Brilleaux" stage, I think it sounds good.

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • I've never been into Wilko or The Who but bought this after hearing Keep it to Myself on a podcast somewhere. It's a cracking rock n roll album, definitely recommended.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    Bought this for my brother in law via amazon so I've now got the auto rip - happy birthday Chris!
    <:-P

Enjoyable but I have to say on a few tracks there are some really, really annoying cheesey piano licks that don't contribute to the songs at all.
    :-L
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • MazzaGMazzaG Frets: 82
    I will be picking this up for sure as I am a fan of Wilko.

Sorry to hijack the thread with something so awfully morbid sounding but wasn't he supposed to be dead by now? I am absolutely in awe of how he has embraced his terminal illness but from what I could gather he wasn't given long left to live was he (as he rejected treatment)?

It will be a sad day when/if  it happens, but I've read many times about people outliving a 'terminal' illness so hopefully he will be one of them, God knows his bravery in the face of death deserves to be rewarded.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    he does seem to be still alive and he has tour dates up to 12th July so I guess he expects to be around a while longer at least.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell.