Recommend someone to make me a neck

What's Hot
xwolf5150xwolf5150 Frets: 180
edited March 2014 in Making & Modding
Folks I'm looking for a replacement maple neck for my strat.
I've considered warmoth but they get expensive very quickly and when I add in postage and import fees my knees start to knock... lol.
I bought an Allparts neck but the fret install was terrible and when the tech factored in all the work needed to make it into a nice player and what it would cost me, he did the decent thing and recommended I return it and look for a custom built one.
I see Wudtone mentioned a lot on here so I took a peek at their website and see they offer necks.
Does anyone have experience of them ?

If not , anyone else worth talking to ?

I'm looking for a nice maple neck, not too big, and finished like my Musicman. .. ie, gloss headstock to protect the logo but wax the rest.
Most important is a great fret and nut job and nice rolled edges.
Budget £250-£300

Thanks

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I got a Mighty Mite neck from axecaster, all it needed was the nut slots being cut a little deeper.

Might not be finished to your tastes though re-reading your post...

• We have a few resident luthiers on here.  I got my last build from @GSPBASSES, maybe he can help you.  I can vouch that it's brilliantly made.  

Otherwise, Warmoth are excellent.  You'll need to have the frets dressed and levelled, but that's going to be the case with any neck, unless you're super lucky.
  • xwolf5150xwolf5150 Frets: 180
    The Allparts neck came from Axecaster.
    He said the quality was wsy better than Mighty Mite.
    The Allparts is crap !!
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    Having been through Warmoth, Allparts, Musikraft, & USACG in the past and having been impressed with most (in particular the USACG & the Musikraft) and also being a real fan of Musicman & Tyler necks with their rolled over edges & finish I would have to agree with m' learned colleague & say that I've been absolutely blown away with the quality of the Strat neck I scored from @GSPBASSES earlier this year !

So yeah, do that I say
    Can I ask what you paid ?
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    You can, £100 I think  but I would point out that this was at a discounted rate as it was pert of Graham's pre workshop move sale where he was trying to shift some stock that he didn't want to take with him to the new place
    I've sent him a PM to ask if he's interested in the job.
    keep you posted.
    Other opinions still welcome.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    edited March 2014
    Jonathan at Feline Guitars and he's a forumite too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited March 2014
    I spoke to Jonathan about finishing the Allparts neck but it was too expensive.
    It would have been about £300.
    London prices I think.
    He was very helpful and Thanks for the suggestion.
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    For that kinda money USACG and Musikraft would be good choices ;)
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • AlanPAlanP Frets: 54
    edited March 2014
    I've now have 4 Warmoth necks, and they are all really good necks that worked 'straight out of the box' . (I did need to fret-polish the maple neck, but that was mainly to get the finish off it, but none of them have needed any real fettling...)  The good thing is, you can order pretty much exactly what you want (apart from rolled edges....)

I very recently had a Mighty Mite neck (rosewood f/b) from Axecaster.  It had sharp fret-ends, frets *needed* a polish, the f/b was very dry, and there was a patch of the f/b between frets 10-13 that was really rough.  The 'jumbo' frets weren't really jumbo, and I didn't like the back profile (a question of taste really, I know).  All easily fixed, but I was totally unimpressed, I'm afraid.

Having said that, I had a maple M-M neck off someone at the old forum - I still have it, and it is really very good....  Doesn't help anyone right now though...

Yup, right now, I think I'd have one made by a 'local'.  Get what you want, know what you are paying...

• jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    Quite surprised by the Allparts experience. I got one of late, a TMF (Tele maple fat), simply filled the gaps under the fret tangs, polished the frets and de-razor sharp'd the ends, medium rolled the board edges, and is currently getting a bone nut pro made and fitted.

When I get it back it'll get lacquered and it's good to go. £129 for the neck and £25 for the nut, a bit of time and patience and a drop of lacquer. Bargain as far as I'm concerned. Esp when put against my bloody expensive MK one! Tho the MK is v pretty ;)

That said I do like pottering around with stuff in me shed.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
    Ordered an unfinished Warmoth 1 piece maple neck with the specs I like.
    When it arrives I'll look around for someone to do the finishing and I'll finally have my perfect gigging guitar.
    Thanks everyone. ... watch this space.
    Good call that man!
    1 piece maple.
    Vintage modern construction.
    1 5/8 nut.
    59 roundback
    6150ss frets.

Lovely jubbly
    edited March 2014
    That's what attracted me to MK. Your own spec. Pricey mind. Mine was $450 by the time it got thru HMRC.

Big C profile
    Heavy flame maple
    Dark rosewood board
    Aged clay dots
    Big frets
    Vintage spec rod

Lush. But to be honest, in future I'll prob use Allparts as they're an easy fettle, good quality, and the fat profile is just the job.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    edited March 2014
    wolf5150 said:
    I spoke to Jonathan about finishing the Allparts neck but it was too expensive.
    It would have been about £300.
    London prices I think.
    He was very helpful and Thanks for the suggestion.
    Hi mate, 

I have to comment on this, if I may.
    It isn't 'London prices' it is 'Established builder who absolutely knows his shit and takes the time to make it right for you' prices.
    You will find someone who does it cheaper- if you are patient and willing to compromise then you pretty much always will.

But considering all of the work that goes into making a neck, fretting and finishing it, it really isn't much- certainly no UK luthiers are getting rich out of these prices.
    Building in the UK is an expensive enterprise- people have bills, materials, staff and such.
    it isn't just a matter of London- it costs everywhere.

If you want something cheap then the best way will be to find a Fender chinese/korean/etc neck that has been taken of an existing instrument.

Or find a lutherie student, or semi-pro builder who is trying to get established.
    Not me- I'm too busy at the moment- but I might know someone who can help you.
    It still won't be cheaper than finding an asian Fender neck, I don't think.

Feline make a product comparable to any modern builder- you won't get finer.

Edit: just saw you've bought a Warmoth- congrats.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307

Warmoth are good so nice one.

If anyone else is still interested in this, I've heard good things about Nathan at Brighton Guitar Workshop

http://brightonguitarworkshop.co.uk/brighton-custom-electric-and-acoustic-guitars-bass/custom-made-electric-guitars-and-basses/

I wasn't having a dig a Jonathan.
    I've been quoted £ 200 for the finish which is a big difference.
    My point about London is that prices need to be higher due to the higher cost if living.
    That's not a slur on him at all and if I had the money I might well have discussed it further with him.
    The other issue was his refusal to put a trademarked logo on my neck, or even his own ( which I suggested ) and I want a logo.
    Anyway it's sorted now.
  • Good call on the warmoth.

Yup, you get what you pay for in this world (mostly). And it's about value - paying that much to have a neck going on your guitar of a lifetime dreamy thing is easy to justify. On a first partscaster to help get your head around building, less so perhaps.

Necks do seem to be a lot of work - it amazes me you can get a half decent neck from China for peanuts, but if you want something that's a bit special, you need dollar.

To be honest, though, a neck is a neck is a neck. Assuming it's a decent piece of wood, all that matters is whether the frets are well seated, the truss rod is good and the shaoe is one you like. You'll need a fret level and dress regardless when setting up, so that's slightly less important.