That Pedal Show... cure for insomnia?

What's Hot
Has anyone honestly made it through a full episode?
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 11reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4530
    Nope, nowadays i just skim through it and that's still boring
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    I've managed about 8 minutes once, I don't normally take that long to shoot my load...

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    15reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Matt_McGMatt_McG Frets: 322
    I used to quite enjoy it, although I didn't watch every episode, as some stuff isn't of interest to me. But, as far as youtube gear shows go, it's one that I've mostly found OK.

I think they've really jumped the shark recently, though. Too much about themselves and their rigs, too self-indulgent. And the episode a week or two back about playing without volume was embarrassing.

I know next to zero about tone, and I can get vastly better tones at home out of a modest Yamaha THR than they were getting out of a whole amp -> attenuator -> IR etc type rig.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12352
    If its something I'm interested in I've watched a few, they are very long though!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    They were always going to get to the point where they had covered all their A subjects, and were now onto B, C etc...

However it's OK.  I often leave before it's over, but same with Netflix too.  My attention doesn't seem to hold

What else can they cover that would cover an hour?  The guest shows are good, but otherwise ideas might be running low
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    JUST GET ON WITH IT !!!!!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    I still enjoy it but then I also still enjoy Doug and Pat most of the time.  I usually put it on while i'm doing something else so I can listen to it.
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1283
    I agree with all the comments, in the early days it was my Friday treat, and I got a lot of information from it.

I find the guest slots tolerable - but too much fawning, but everything else is just tedious now - and some are downright toe-curlingly bad.

The silent recording one last week was a new low for me - just prejudiced and narrow minded, I'm all for the old school approach - but really???

Past it's sell-by date for me I'm afraid, I would enjoy more technical stuff from Dan - he's clearly bright and knows his stuff, but the rest of it (and the other one) - done
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1820
    They've missed one important episode out and that's the one about loopers/switchers etc. However, Dan would never do that and besides it will only biased to his own creation :(
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26574
    I have insomnia, and I can honestly say that TPS isn't a cure because my brain just goes on repeat with, "But what about stuff that isn't mid-gain classic rock?" every time they demo...pretty much anything, really.
    <space for hire>
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveFSteveF Frets: 537
    I quite enjoy it, but I do find some of the videos a bit long.  I have a similar issue with Andertons.  I really like the videos, but I want to watch a lot of youtube content and if everything is >45min long, I'll never get anything done.  
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Personally I can't even sit and watch even the best shows for any length of time; which is a shame cause I have a lot of stuff I want to watch including paid-for lesson subscriptions.

I think that's what I love so much about playing guitar as a pass time, I couldn't be one of the people who sit watching TV for hours after work, I have to be doing something or I get irritated and bored.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    peteri said:

The silent recording one last week was a new low for me - just prejudiced and narrow minded, I'm all for the old school approach - but really???

THIS. With bells on.

It was toe-curling. It was like trying to teach your Grandad about hip-hop.

Frankly, *anyone* can get a better tone with a secondhand Line6 UX1, a download of PodFarm (one or two), and five minutes fiddling. It was shockingly bad. And all the bullshit about 'not being able to feel it' to get in the zone... what bollocks.

Perhaps if it was something that they clearly didn't know/understand they should have got someone involved who *does*... I'm sure the likes of Line6, Kemper or similar would have supplied someone to assist, showcasing their latest kit. And if the two involved were as open minded as they say they are, there may have been some surprised faces.

Plus there are lots of cheaper secondhand alternatives if they truly are trying to provide a service.

Its clear that Dan knows *a lot* about a narrow subject - but is also clear he has no interest in learning anything new from outside that narrow viewpoint. Mick dumbs himself down a lot - he covered more complex things when he edited Guitarist magazine. Either that or he is very good at bullshit.

But both of them need a good scriptwriter/editor... if they do read these things, I'd gladly offer my services (for a modest fee).
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5153
    I’ve stopped watching it.... and this is from someone who loves the Doug & Pat show... :)
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26574
    SteveF said:
    I quite enjoy it, but I do find some of the videos a bit long.  I have a similar issue with Andertons.  I really like the videos, but I want to watch a lot of youtube content and if everything is >45min long, I'll never get anything done.  
    The difference is that there's variety on the Andertons channel. TPS is basically a show for people who want to spend an obscene amount of money trying to sound like guitarists did 30 or 40 years ago. Anything outside that, and you should really be watching something (anything) else.
    <space for hire>
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • interstellarinterstellar Frets: 486
    the way they fawn over the guests is sickening....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • dangriffithsdangriffiths Frets: 571
    I used to watch and enjoy but not as bothered now. Covered all the subjects of interest and there is a world other than blues
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Can’t say I watch every minute of every episode but I still think it’s great. Dan’s honest appraisal of playing with IR’s and headphones last week was very funny.
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    I still watch it now and then. It's a back ground thing when I am doing repetitive tasks. 
    Sometimes it's good, sometimes its not.

It's still better than Doug and Pat though, that's like pulling teeth
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • revsorgrevsorg Frets: 880
    I felt they just shouldn't have made the silent episode.  They'd just received a complaint about being too noisy, it shook them up and they were obviously depressed.  This made it a bad starting point to try and entertain their audience.  It neither entertained nor informed.  Personally I don't see it as the start of a decline, just an episode they should delete.