I guess we'll never understand why Gibson went bust....

What's Hot

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22774
    @darthed1981 was there a guitar in that Una Healy video? Somethings must have distracted me, because I didn't see the 335 at all. As for semi's, well........
    Yeah I didn't see the 335 as I was too busy checking out her puppies 
    Yeah there's a guitar in there somewhere, took me a few views through to spot it myself ;)
    Gosh you guys are easily pleased.  You must be younger than I realised.

Or I'm older than I realised...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GrangousierGrangousier Frets: 2629
    AAGH! MY EYES!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16665
    axisus said:
    Because rock guitarists the world over asked for butterflies on the fretboard ...
    Are they the only genre Gibson are allowed to build for?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11754
    Philly_Q said:
    @darthed1981 was there a guitar in that Una Healy video? Somethings must have distracted me, because I didn't see the 335 at all. As for semi's, well........
    Yeah there's a guitar in there somewhere, took me a few views through to spot it myself ;)
    Gosh you guys are easily pleased.  You must be younger than I realised.

Or I'm older than I realised...
    Possibly a little of both?
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4309
    Garthy said:
    I don't like the inlays but love the rest.
    Yep. I’m with you. I’d never buy it, but quite like the look of it. The inlays are really bad though. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    Bigsby said:
    I must be getting old... I loved that 335, but I didn't notice she had puppies. 
    Me too - that 335 neck looks like it needs some Lemon Oil ! ;)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    "mint condition" - seems reasonable, I wouldn't play one like that either.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5368
    Boring sods. Don't rate the tuners particularly, but I quite like the thing in principle. Not at that price though.
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
    Snags said:
    Boring sods. Don't rate the tuners particularly, but I quite like the thing in principle. Not at that price though.
    How many days a week do they let you out for, buddy?
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • GuitarZeroGuitarZero Frets: 254
    axisus said:
    Because rock guitarists the world over asked for butterflies on the fretboard ...
    I'm not really sure they asked for birds either, but PRS got away with it.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26953
    WezV said:
    axisus said:
    Are they the only genre Gibson are allowed to build for?
    Massively this. A handful of shiny special editions are exactly the sort of thing they should be doing. It doesn’t hurt anyone, and you’ll get a handful of nutcases love them and buy them. 

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5368
    Hattigol said:
    Snags said:
    How many days a week do they let you out for, buddy?

Supervised or unsupervised?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • drippycatdrippycat Frets: 139
    Proof of reincarnation. Barbara Cartland came back as a guitar so handsome dentists could run their fingers all over her.
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    How many extractions of upper right 8 would pay for that?
  • Why did Gibson go bust? Crappy business practices that's why. Let me give you an example:

Way back - I wanted a Gibson Explorer Pro (kind of like a 7/8ths size explorer for us compact sized people) - so I ordered one from a main UK dealer. Quite pricey it was too. But hey - you know how it is with guitars. Anyways, this was in the May time - come July I get a call from the dealer telling me that Gibson had cancelled the order as they were stopping making them - but they kept the ad for that model on their website until the January after.

So - TL;DR - they had a customer who had handed over money but they couldn't be assed to make it. So yeah - not surprised they went bust.

It was all good in the end - I got one off of eBay and then had it painted gold glitter flake candy apple red.

Oh, btw - hi everyone! :)

• BigsbyBigsby Frets: 2934

Why did Gibson go bust? Crappy business practices that's why. 

The funny thing is, despite this, the guitar manufacturing part of Gibson is widely claimed to be profitable - it's the electronics side that Henry invested in that's caused the financial problems. I guess the guitar market is pretty robust at the moment, especially for a long established brand.

But I agree, Gibson has some strange policies when it comes to selling guitars. The way they treat their dealers is a great example of this; Gibson seem to be wilfully driving high street retailers out of business, and forcing most customers to buy online, unseen and unplayed. Not a popular policy with many guitarists. And with returns so easy from online sales, that doesn't even help them with their dodgy QC.

Also, they have a habit of discontinuing models just at the point when the public has noticed them, accepted them, and started buying them... only to introduce something else in it's place that no one has heard of. 
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    Bigsby said:

Also, they have a habit of discontinuing models just at the point when the public has noticed them, accepted them, and started buying them... only to introduce something else in it's place that no one has heard of. 
    For example?

Bigsby said:

... only to introduce something else in it's place that no one has heard of
    Nobody heard of the iPhone until Apple made their announcement for a mobile phone nobody said they needed. 

Nobody had heard of the ‘casters (read Esquire) until Leo gave it to the masses back in 1950. How did that work out?

Yes, Apple made failures too. Ever heard of the Apple Newton? You won’t be alone. But you know what? Released in 1993 Apple Newton was the ancestor of what we now know as the iPad (introduced in 2010). The Newton was so far ahead of it’s time (by 17 years), it was seen as too good to be true, so it flopped.

My point, just because something is unknown when introduced doesn’t make it a bad or wrong product or decision. It means the sales guys aren’t doing their job properly. Sure Gibson like most companies have their failures. But without failures, we wouldn’t have the success stories. Oh yes, the Les Paul sold so poorly in 1960, Gibson pulled it in favour of what became the SG. Yet Gibson reintroduced the Les Paul about 9 years later. What gives, eh?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26953

Why did Gibson go bust? Crappy business practices that's why. Let me give you an example:

Way back - I wanted a Gibson Explorer Pro (kind of like a 7/8ths size explorer for us compact sized people) - so I ordered one from a main UK dealer. Quite pricey it was too. But hey - you know how it is with guitars. Anyways, this was in the May time - come July I get a call from the dealer telling me that Gibson had cancelled the order as they were stopping making them - but they kept the ad for that model on their website until the January after.

So - TL;DR - they had a customer who had handed over money but they couldn't be assed to make it. So yeah - not surprised they went bust.

It was all good in the end - I got one off of eBay and then had it painted gold glitter flake candy apple red.

Oh, btw - hi everyone! :)

Hello! Long time - hope all well!? :) 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • BigsbyBigsby Frets: 2934
    fandango said:
    Bigsby said:

For example?

Bigsby said:

... only to introduce something else in it's place that no one has heard of
    Nobody heard of the iPhone until Apple made their announcement for a mobile phone nobody said they needed. 

Nobody had heard of the ‘casters (read Esquire) until Leo gave it to the masses back in 1950. How did that work out?

Yes, Apple made failures too. Ever heard of the Apple Newton? You won’t be alone. But you know what? Released in 1993 Apple Newton was the ancestor of what we now know as the iPad (introduced in 2010). The Newton was so far ahead of it’s time (by 17 years), it was seen as too good to be true, so it flopped.

My point, just because something is unknown when introduced doesn’t make it a bad or wrong product or decision. It means the sales guys aren’t doing their job properly. Sure Gibson like most companies have their failures. But without failures, we wouldn’t have the success stories. Oh yes, the Les Paul sold so poorly in 1960, Gibson pulled it in favour of what became the SG. Yet Gibson reintroduced the Les Paul about 9 years later. What gives, eh?
    Not sure if you're intentionally trying to not get what I'm saying here... 

FWIW, Yes, I do indeed remember the Newton (didn't own one). Apple ended up dropping it, when it failed to sell. They didn't forget the idea, and got it right in the end... Sure, loads of products that have been introduced have been new... errr, isn't that bleeding obvious? That's why they're new... Doh! (But it's a bit pointless to compare tech products with traditional electric guitars).

What Gibson tend to do is revamp their range, often dramatically, each year. Thus the SG 50s 60s 70s Future tribute/SG Futura/SGJ/SG Supreme/SG Diablo/SG Supra and so on (just to look at SOME of the RECENT SG models) get discontinued just in time for people to be noticing them, or discovering a mate has one & liking it, etc., only to find it's no longer available. When introduced, they were all models no one knew anything about, but within one or two years they'd gone, replaced by another model no one is familiar with... I've certainly heard dealers expressing exactly this issue with Gibson's range.
  • SimpleSimonSimpleSimon Frets: 1025
    edited May 2018
    Am i wrong to think Gibson havent gone bust at all but have filed for bankruptcy protection allowing them to re finance?