3 drive pedals and two amp for maximum flexibility question.

What's Hot
ftumchftumch Frets: 679
edited May 2018 in FX
Seeing as this forum is the font of ALL knowledge I'd really appreciate your input.
I play in a variety of cover band's, currently three plus jam night house band and need maximum flexility from my board.
I use a peavey bandit for the Jam which i just use as a clean pedal platform and I have a Rivera Chubster for my other bands. 
I need to cover light blues tones through Acdc classic rock, pearl jam levels of gain through to tight modern metal tones (this is where my board doesn't hit the spot)
For drives I currently have

Pork loin-set clean and always on
OCD
Ramble effects marvel drive.

I was thinking about just getting a metal type pedal (something like the Amt p2 or amptweaker tight metal) and moving on the marvel drive but what would you do? 
Budget is only about £100
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• revsorgrevsorg Frets: 874
    @guitarhippy only wanted £40 for his Boss Metal Zone MT2 http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/129439/
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ftumchftumch Frets: 679
    Erm thanks :)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71951
    The Metal Zone is an excellent and very versatile pedal if you bother to learn how to dial it in properly and don't just believe all the internet crap about it being the worst sounding pedal evah.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    That might be true but the eq is too fiddly and there are plenty of better options I'm sure.
  • The Ramble is awesome, I'd keep it. None of the metal pedals you mentioned cover what the Marvel does.

For metal-ish... I like the BE-OD. The Tight Metal Pro was cool, but was a bit bland. My favourite was the hard to come by PIOD What You Want 2. There's a WYW3 coming out soon though. Really cool pedal. 
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • FezFez Frets: 499
    A cheap solution could be a Marshall Jackhammer but the trouble with them is they are rubbish for putting on pedalboards and the silly knobs are useless on a dark stage.

Don't touch that dial.
    That piod looks great. I wonder if just a tubescreamer would tighten up the chubster enough to get the metal tones, that simple maybe. There's a fair amount of gain on the rivera it's just not really a metal amp.
  • Worth a try, get a cheap TS clone to try it.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    I might try that. That'd be four od pedals on my board then, a bit overkill! 
  • guitarmanglerguitarmangler Frets: 581
    Turn the amps overdrive/distortion channel. Add overdrive or boost if needed. Done. 
    Turn the amps overdrive/distortion channel. Add overdrive or boost if needed. Done. 
    In essence it's that simple but that doesn't give me the tight aggressive sound I'm after, just a high gain tone which isn't quite the same.
    It's why I was considering a separate dirt pedal. I can try a different boost I guess.
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    Fez said:
    A cheap solution could be a Marshall Jackhammer but the trouble with them is they are rubbish for putting on pedalboards and the silly knobs are useless on a dark stage.

It's a bloody good shout though, specially for the beans they go for on eBay. Remove the rubber base, mark the knobs, ignore the distortion side and crank the OD side for 80s rock, underrated pedal.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bassborabassbora Frets: 132
    I dont know if it is any help to you but I have the Wampler Triple Wreck for the high gain heavy stuff.  I have not seen them come up often for sale here and they might be out of your price range.  But tone wise I think they are superb.

Possibly another option would be Wampler Pinnacle Delux V2.  Flexible pedal which can get very gainy and I often use just the Boost side of if (I think I read somewhere it was a TS style boost) and I quite often use it with OCD.  So there is another option for you.  I got mine for around £130 on here if I remember correctly.