New acoustic or set up?

What's Hot
JetfireJetfire Frets: 564
So after thinking I needed a new full set up after having a buzzing G string (arfarf), I played one of the Faith Naked series and was really impressed.  So, to combat GAS I out new strings on my Yamaha APX500 (the buzzy G string guitar) and  was re-impressed how nice it sounded. My only grumble is I struggle to pick out the notes of F major bar chord where I could do it no problem on the Faith. Should I pull the trigger on my GAS or would a set up help my current Yamaha?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 3123
    I see your mildly smutty remark about a buzzing G string and raise you with a comment about checking your nut slots.

If the slots are at the correct height and in good condition, check the neck relief.

Worst case scenario, a set-up for the Yamaha would improve its chances of selling.
    "It's no wonder the Pacific Ocean is blue."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 31575
    I would be very impressed indeed if a Yamaha APX sounded nice...

:)

A perfectly decent electro-acoustic, but as an actual acoustic guitar... not so much. (In my opinion.)

I know I usually recommend getting the most out of your current gear before throwing money at the problem and buying new stuff, but in this case I would just cut to the chase and get a better guitar, if you can afford to.
    "Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 2817
    "Congratulations on being officially the most right anyone has ever been about anything, ever." -- Noisepolluter knows the score
    Ironically, having Faith would be of little interest to the late, lamented Mr. Michael.
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 8787
    I'd have a Faith before an APX any day. This seems like a good excuse.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    So. Two weeks on and no sign of any progress.  :s
  • stimpsonslostsonstimpsonslostson Frets: 3095
    I LOVE my Faith Mercury. It's a fabulous guitar.
    ironically when I bought it I could tell it was a good guitar but the action was too high so I put it in for a setup... now it’s ridiculously good & my first choice when writing songs. 
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 564
     So... update was that i bought new strings and the buzzing has gone. However, I still struggle with F major bar chords when they were a breeze on the Faith. Still unsure but acoustic gigs are beckoning so ill stick with the apx for now!
    Nut job!

Get busy with the slotting files.

Scroll about two thirds of the way down the page. http://www.stewmac.com/How-To/Online_Resources/Learn_About_Guitar_Nut_and_Saddle_Setup_and_Repair/Nut_Making_and_Setup.html
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 1098
    I dunno guys, I quite like my APX, it is a bit tight at the nut end of the neck though.