PSA - Fake Monty's Pickups on eBay

What's Hot

Comments

• hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1821
    That's it. I'm in the market for monty's humbucker PAF and I won't be buying off eBay now. Too risky and rather pay the extra for a new set for the peace of mind :(
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    Matt has just confirmed on messenger that they are deffo not his pickups!!!!!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Thing is, Matt should be able to look up who bought them and see where they are etc. 

At the end of the day, someone is ripping his product off...
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14224
    tFB Trader
    That's it. I'm in the market for monty's humbucker PAF and I won't be buying off eBay now. Too risky and rather pay the extra for a new set for the peace of mind :(
    It's interesting how many different ways people come up with to scam you - most of us wouldn't have thought of this as such - To the point if someone sells a guitar with XYZ supa dupa hand wound pick-ups fitted, then you actually need to look under the bonnet for confirmation - I do now on trade ins/buy ins
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9610
    Pretty incredible he thought he could get away with this. I’d hope that anybody considering boutique hand wound pickups would know the fundamental difference between alnico rods and ceramic bar magnets, and would not be fooled by a cardboard box.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Pretty incredible he thought he could get away with this. I’d hope that anybody considering boutique hand wound pickups would know the fundamental difference between alnico rods and ceramic bar magnets, and would not be fooled by a cardboard box.
    How can you tell?
    There’s irony here..
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    Stickers are more my thing these days....
    Oh baby! A kindred spirit!
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    Never really sure why people are such douche bags and would try to screw other people over so deliberately. 

One word.

’Greed’.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9663
    @Bridgehouse ;

Yes.

And it's fraud, more specifically 'passing off', which is a breach of statute and a criminal act.
    Mind you, I'd be surprised if any ebayers have ever had much more than a slap on the wrist from eBay, let alone been prosecuted. Sadly, people will continue 'passing off' while there are no consequences. I can't imagine that the police or trading standards care about something like this, but a couple of well-publicised prosecutions would go some way to deterring others.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9610
    Well, I couldn't resist asking why they look to be a completely different construction to the photo on Monty's website. Stay tuned folks!
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1821
    How can you tell?
    There’s irony here..
    Lucky I hate strats innit lol 
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    That's the thing, I'm sure there are those who do not know there's a difference yet would  still fork out for such 'mojo' pickups in a pretty box. I'm also sure they'd then fit them and go around claiming how amazing the pickups are and how superior they are to Fender pickups....
    edited May 2018
    Seeing as a seller can no longer leave negative feedback anyone up for a laugh?
    If I was to bid say £130,000 for these and then someone else was to put a bid of say £129,999 immediately after then the current bid would be my £130k... I’m guessing that would bring the auction to the attention of eBay... 

anyone fancy it?.

****EDIT**** would only allow a max bid of 2k... fill ya boots!...
  • martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader
    Out of interest I messaged the seller, and also reported the listing. No reply and it's still there.
    martinw said:
    Out of interest I messaged the seller, and also reported the listing. No reply and it's still there.
    Stick a bid of £1500 on them... you’ll be outbid straight away!!!!! :)
  • ADPADP Frets: 184

Even better, buy them at whatever price and then prove that they aren't what the seller claimed. That way, he loses the money and you keep the pickups, preventing him selling them on to someone else.

I once bought a Kindle on eBay, which Amazon told me had been reported as lost and was involved in an insurance claim. I contacted the seller, who said that it still worked - it just couldn't access the Amazon store - and refused to allow me to return it for a refund. I took it to my local police station, got a crime number and reported it to eBay. I got my money back, and the police kept the Kindle. When the seller asked for his Kindle back, I gave him the address and phone number of the police station and wished him luck.

7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Haha just checked Ebay. Nice work! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Panama_Jack666Panama_Jack666 Frets: 2989
    Amazing! I bet he's well excited he thinks he's getting 2 grand. Hopefully he'll put a deposit down on a holiday to Mexico before realising he's not going to get paid. Scamming bastard. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    Amazing! I bet he's well excited he thinks he's getting 2 grand. Hopefully he'll put a deposit down on a holiday to Mexico before realising he's not going to get paid. Scamming bastard. 
    He'll be off to Mexico to buy some more of those Del Monte pickups.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1816
    mbe said:

He'll be off to Mexico to buy some more of those Del Monte pickups.

Del Monte pickups are great. Really fresh, juicy tone...