Paying for a guitar before shipping

What's Hot
Hydra19Hydra19 Frets: 321
I found a guitar I really want but it's all the way in the Shetland Islands!!! Both of us are not sure how to go about this transaction.
I have gotten pics of the guitar but I'm worried about paying so much and then not receiving it or receiving a different guitar. I assume some of you have had these experiences? Maybe buying from gumtree? Here on the forum it's easier because memeber can vouch for other members. 
Could I arrange for a courier to pick it up and maybe he can send a pic and I send the money? I can't go all the way to Shetland Islands for a guitar :) Thank you for any advice
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BrizeBrize Frets: 5629
    I would be extremely wary of a seller purporting to be based in the Shetland Islands. There are a lot of scammers on Gumtree that purport to be based in remote Scottish locations.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72244
    Brize said:
    I would be extremely wary of a seller purporting to be based in the Shetland Islands. There are a lot of scammers on Gumtree that purport to be based in remote Scottish locations.
    Sadly this is true. The idea is precisely to deter anyone from wanting to go and pick it up in person.

Do you have a link to the sale listing?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12885

I'm not normally one to assume the worst but I have to second the comment from @Brize ---pretending to be somewhere remote is a tactic beloved of scammers.

If buying from the Shetlands I'd want to be 300% certain that the seller was the real deal and even then I'd be wary.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Hydra19Hydra19 Frets: 321
    edited May 2018
    Thank you, that;s the sort of replies I do need as I have heard of scammers. To make this worse, this is a craigslist ad. I'd feel alright if it was one of the major cities in Scotland, but it will need to travel by boat for some time to even reach Scotland, let alone a major city. Realizing now I might need to pass 

I do have his name and email address which I'm going to check out. My first thought was how weird that such a guitar is at such a location. I wouldn't imagine there are many top guitars located there, maybe a few personal ones
  • MikeSMikeS Frets: 2133
    You've left me with this picture of all Shetland mail being taken over to the mainland in a rowing boat.

It's 2018, there are new fangled things called airyplanes and paythepal =)

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jimmyguitarjimmyguitar Frets: 2464
    99.9% of the ads on UK craigslist are scams, definitely proceed with caution!! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72244
    MikeS said:
    You've left me with this picture of all Shetland mail being taken over to the mainland in a rowing boat.

It's 2018, there are new fangled things called airyplanes and paythepal =)
    I wondered if it would be shipped by air, but since there are daily ferries it may well come by courier lorry on the boat.

Hydra19 said:

I do have his name and email address which I'm going to check out. My first thought was how weird that such a guitar is at such a location. I wouldn't imagine there are many top guitars located there, maybe a few personal ones
    There is a lot of oil money there, and a big folk music scene. If it's a high-end acoustic it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest, and even if it's an electric it wouldn't be odd.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14180
    tFB Trader
    I do have a customer I've known for years who lives in the Shetlands area - he regularly buys/sells - so it may well be him - Do you have a name - PM me if you wish

Otherwise my 'stolen' Masterbuilt Fender Strat was recently listed for sale on e-bay - somewhat fictitiously as it happens in what was an obvious scam - I offered a cash collection and at that stage he told me it was in the Shetlands, as others have said above, as a total con
    thank you guys, and guitars4you, I have sent a PM

I'm slowly realizing I won't be able to completely relax and trust this transaction, so I will let him know tonight and see if there are any alternatives. If I do ever get the guitar, I'll post it here
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    edited May 2018
    Hydra19 said:
    If I do ever get the guitar, I'll post it here
    Don't post it here - we're in Shetland!
    13reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Email him and say a stroke of luck means your cousin John McDougall is visiting the Shetlands from his home in Glasgow next week on business and could collect it and pay in cash.

I bet that's the last you'll hear from the seller .. ;-)

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Fretwired said:
    Email him and say a stroke of luck means your cousin John McDougall is visiting the Shetlands from his home in Glasgow next week on business and could collect it and pay in cash.

I bet that's the last you'll hear from the seller .. ;-)
    thank you, that's what I'll do. I googled shetland scams and one person told the seller he will be able to collect it and he never heard from him again.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4915
    There used to be a scam on freecycle where people were offering laptops and suchlike, but they were in a town at the opposite end of the country, so you had to pay postage; I used to say I was going to visit relatives there on the weekend so it'd be easy for me to drop in whilst there.
  • scalino65scalino65 Frets: 261
    Could you ask for a scan of the seller's driving licence and passport?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I feel that would be too intrusive to ask for proof but it would be the logical thing to do.
    I told him I have some family friends in Glasgow that I could ask for a favour, he got back to me that he would propose an escrow transaction where he won't get paid unless I'm satisfied so I'll look into that tonight and still probably pass
  • mortmort Frets: 719

Just yesterday someone posted on a biking forum that they have just lost £9000 buying a bike that was supposedly located in the Scottish Highlands (with them being in  the south east)  This was via a dodgy Ebay listing.

It's frightening that people still fall for these scams. 

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2758
    Ask him for a photo of him holding the guitar with something showing today’s date

• mr-macmr-mac Frets: 200
    As long as you get to pick escrow company and pick one that's recommended as trustworthy then you'd be good to go... Nothing turns up or junk unlike original advert and no loss.
    i had to educate myself with escrow scams and they mentioned they are many fake or non trust worthy escrow sites so yes, if I can pick the one then ok, but I asked him how it would work so let's see if he says he knows a good one.
  • digtheditchdigtheditch Frets: 30
    Post the link, as there isn't a Shetland Craigslist page. Most scam pictures should be fairly recognisable, as they will have been used again and again. Where on Shetland is it meant to be located?