Paying for a guitar before shipping

What's Hot

Comments

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 9611
    Asking advice about a listing which is potentially fraudulent but refusing to give a link to said listing is well, bizarre.

I’ve also searched for it on Craigslist and can’t find anything remotely like it. Like many I don’t really look on Craigslist, but from what I’ve seen I wouldn’t buy a packet of strings off there, never mind a hugely expensive guitar the best part of a thousand miles away!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6059
    Hydra19 said:
    I think I've gotten all the help I can hope to get. Thank you for the genuine replies, and offers to help. Much appreciated, if I do manage to buy the guitar, I will post it here as in I will post the pics here 
    He has contacted me today for my name and address and told me he will start the process and if the terms are not to my liking I can pass....which is not the same as he said yesterday so I think it is a scam.

I think you'd be quite safe in posting the Ad. No-one else is going to jump on something which is so obviously a scam listing as you've presented it.

Ultra desirable guitar? - Check
    Too good to miss price? - Check
    Ultra remote location? - Check
    Craigslist? - Check

If you are genuine then I suggest that you break off contact immediately, continued correspondence could prove costly.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • springheadspringhead Frets: 1590
    Hydra19 said:
    Craiglist in the UK is full of vintage guitars going for £2000 - £3000, vintage Fenders and Les Pauls.

No, it isn't.  It's full of pictures of vintage guitars that the seller has never held or seen in person.  Don't get burnt.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72321
    Hydra19 said:
    Craiglist in the UK is full of vintage guitars going for £2000 - £3000, vintage Fenders and Les Pauls.

No, it isn't.  It's full of pictures of vintage guitars that the seller has never held or seen in person.  Don't get burnt.

I saw a few cracking deals when I was looking on there. A 1954 Les Paul in the rare all-gold finish for £2500, what could possibly be wrong with that?!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • springheadspringhead Frets: 1590
    That would be around a tenth of the going rate for a '54 all-gold.  If it sounds too good to be true....
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5419
    Yeah, for fun I took a look at the London Craigslist and searched for Les Pauls. I’d wager that 100% of the listings were scams. 
  • Hydra19Hydra19 Frets: 325
    It's a UK listing, it was £1800 for a Tom Murphy Aged 1958 reissue. Go search UK's craigslist for Les Pauls and you might find it. I'm sorry I don't know what to say for all you have are saying I'm weird and a scammer, don't know why British are so sceptical about everyone, must be what Brexit is all about too. Go find the ad but leave me alone with your petty accusations, we are not in school anymore
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 2018
    it was ad 6560688952
    2008 Gibson 1958 Murphy Aged Les Paul 50th Anniversary.
    I have the seller's name and email address that were given to me. Baine last name which turns out is not unheard of in the Shetlands. 
  • SparkySparky Frets: 90
    Is this thread still going? You just can't help some people. To the OP I'll summarise everyone else sentiments - It's probably a scam. Move on.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 2018
    Here - https://london.craigslist.co.uk/for/d/2008-gibson-1958-murphy-aged/6560688952.html

Knock yourself out
    I think you can understand why I went for it and that I'm not a scammer, nor anything other than a guitar player. Thanks again for the genuine answers and help and the other ones you can go troll someone else now
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5419
    Sorry mate, but I’ll bet a fiver that £1800 for a Tom Murphy aged R8 is 100% a scam. It’s worth at least twice that, maybe more. The stupid price, the remote location, the changing terms from the seller, literally every red flag has been raised except Western Union so far. 

Go ahead if you like though and prove the forum wrong... could be a costly attempt. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2593
    Brize said:
    I would be extremely wary of a seller purporting to be based in the Shetland Islands. There are a lot of scammers on Gumtree that purport to be based in remote Scottish locations.
    Living in Scotland I've personal experience of this.  An only-slightly-too good-to-be-true guitar, purporting to be on sale locally,  appeared on Gumtree.  When I offered to come and see it the prevarication started and it became obvious the "seller" wasn't anywhere near  (he claimed to be travelling with work).  I reported it to Gumtree and they confirmed it was a scam.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
    Sparky said:
    Is this thread still going? You just can't help some people. To the OP I'll summarise everyone else sentiments - It's probably a scam. Move on.

I have moved on, unfortuantely I have been accused of being a scammer and other by the members for asking about help for this guitar, had to straighten that out as lies should not be supported here.

If anyone wants to go for the guitar - knock yourself out. I am not buying it
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4670
    Hydra19 said:
    Sparky said:

I have moved on, unfortuantely I have been accused of being a scammer and other by the members for asking about help for this guitar, had to straighten that out as lies should not be supported here.

If anyone wants to go for the guitar - knock yourself out. I am not buying it
    i don't think anyone is buying it, its got scam written all over it 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    Hydra19 said:
    Sparky said:

I think it was a bit tongue in cheek mate don't worry

People were just a bit surprised that you didn't post the link when they were trying to help.

Sorry the guitar wasn't to be, but sounds like a clear scam.  Be patient and others great guitars will come around for 2k
  • SparkySparky Frets: 90
    joeyowen said:
    Hydra19 said:
    Sparky said:

I think it was a bit tongue in cheek mate don't worry

People were just a bit surprised that you didn't post the link when they were trying to help.

Sorry the guitar wasn't to be, but sounds like a clear scam.  Be patient and others great guitars will come around for 2k
    You'll have to forgive our 'dry British humour' as I don't think anyone here was accusing you of being a scammer, but eyebrows will be raised when repeatedly you were asked to provide a link but chose not to. I think I speak for everyone here when I say I'm pleased to hear you are not going to pursue the sale. Good luck in the hunt for 'The One'
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6880
    Chill dude! 

The only reference to anything other than the ad being a scam was the joke about this thread being a scam.. which, how could it be lol?! 

Dont know if your set on Les Pauls, but for £2k theres been some felines up here for sale recently. All built by a trusted Croydon based luthier and member highly regarded in the scene.
    You wouldnt be disappointed with one of those!  
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6152
    I suppose the OP didn't want to post a link because - like anyone else - he had the worry that someone would swoop in and grab up the bargain he'd found.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • bloodandtearsbloodandtears Frets: 1655
    Craiglist really is a poor looking site..
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• prowlaprowla Frets: 4916
    Hydra19 said:
    It's a UK listing, it was £1800 for a Tom Murphy Aged 1958 reissue. Go search UK's craigslist for Les Pauls and you might find it. I'm sorry I don't know what to say for all you have are saying I'm weird and a scammer, don't know why British are so sceptical about everyone, must be what Brexit is all about too. Go find the ad but leave me alone with your petty accusations, we are not in school anymore
    Wow - people are here trying to help and this turns into accusations and brexit?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom