Patient Luthier needed

What's Hot
I am wanting to convert a SA70 to a Bass VI style instrument. I have the parts necessary for the transformation but typing monkeys would complete their task before my ham fisted DIY resulted in a reasonable result. Would any talented Fretboarder be interested in doing the work or recommending a suitable candidate?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4129
    One of the old Yamaha hollowbodies? They’re frikkin cool! Please ensure that whoever does the work is very competent, they’re seemingly quite rare over here and it would be a shame to lose one to a ill-executed conversion. That said, it sounds like a neat project!
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    I am wanting to convert a SA70 to a Bass VI style instrument. I have the parts necessary for the transformation but typing monkeys would complete their task before my ham fisted DIY resulted in a reasonable result. Would any talented Fretboarder be interested in doing the work or recommending a suitable candidate?
    The SA70 is hollow body but I thought the Yamaha Bass VI was solid? 

If I have the right models, I'm not sure what you mean by converting it (other than selling one and buying the other ;)  ).  Can you clarify what you are planning?
  • The SA70 has a 30” scale length, I want to make the necessary changes to install 6 strings on this platform. Perhaps a Gibson EB6 would be a better description of the desired outcome rather than a Bass VI. I am wanting various other bits and pieces done but this is the main thrust of it.
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2924
    tFB Trader
    Sounds like a nice project. I had an SA50 guitar, stupidly traded away and tried to get back but failed. Converting the bound headstock would probably be the trickiest thing to do nicely, the rest should be straightforward. Also they're finished in 2k (urethane over the pond) so you can't blend in localised blow-overs.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16635

What's the string spacing like at nut and bridge?

The headstock looks big enough... should be easy to plug, re-dril and re-veneer for guitar tuners, but keeping logo's, and getting a suitable blend  on the back would be tricky.... A Gibson style stinger may solve a lot of issues around the back

The pickups look an unusual size

• The nut measures 43mm
    The pickup covers measure 76 x 34mm
    I have a Lollar horseshoe for the bridge so this shouldn’t present a problem there, the neck may have to be converted as a blade pickup ( my first thought is to contact Oil City to see if this is possible) 
    I am planning to have the instrument refinished in black (there is a Black checked Collings semi that is the inspiration for this)
    so the consequences of the modifications will ultimately be rendered invisible. I know that altering a vintage instrument like this will be considered by some as reckless, I have had reservations about doing this and have taken the same approach as I do to a tattoo. Five years without changing my mind as a prerequisite. On the upside this has allowed me to accrue some nice parts (Robson tuners, glass truancy bridge, Lollar horseshoe) I just need a talented luthier.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72227
    edited May 2018
    Just to throw a huge spanner into the equation, a friend of mine has a 1964 Epiphone Rivoli body which may be for sale. It’s undamaged apart from having the finish stripped, no hardware, and no neck!

Since the biggest thing it needs is a new neck, it would be just as easy to rebuild it as an EB-6...

Probably of no interest if you’re set on your Yamaha project but I thought it was worth mentioning.

Personally, I would not irreversibly mod a nice old Yamaha bass like that, but that is just my opinion. (And I’m not interested in taking the job on, either.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Thanks ICBM but my mind’s made up.
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4129
    I’ve had a small hankering for one after seeing this vid a few years back:

https://youtu.be/L2kGNdE0b5Q