Cheap DSLR for daughters - Canon?

What's Hot
ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11891
I used to take film pics since I was 15, moved to canon SLRs
Then got a digital SLR when they came out, Canon 300D I think, upgraded to 5D Mark I
I still have a long telephoto and flash for the Canon lying around

3 years ago I moved to Mirrorless Fuji X, not using it enough really, playing more guitar currently, but have a nice set of lenses

At least one daughter wants to start taking proper photos, she's 14. 
I was thinking of lending her the Fuji, but in controlled scenarios - a beginner could damage nice kit
But obviously, I don't want to be a pain breathing down her neck whilst using it

I walked into a cash converters last week, curious to see what camera gear they have, and there was a Canon 350D with zoom, for £100. I wondered if that was a better idea to buy for her/them, so I can let them use that gear and I can relax and keep mine safe
Also they could use my spare old canon kit

So - does anyone know if that's a normal price, which cheap Canon DSLR is the best second hand now, etc?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    www.mpb.com

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4630
    350D would make a great starter camera (that is where I started). 
    Has full manual mode and and Apature/shutter speed priority modes. 8.5mpix is enough to take some great pictures you just can crop as much.
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1942

At least one daughter wants to start taking proper photos, 

You could start by teaching her there is no reason to buy a DSLR to start taking proper photo's ;-)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    Lodious said:

You could start by teaching her there is no reason to buy a DSLR to start taking proper photo's ;-)

Some of my best photos were taken on an Ensign Selfix that my dad bought the year before I was born. :)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    Does her phone have a full manual mode? Start taking pictures on that, and if you can make them look good you can use any camera.
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1770
    350D would make a great starter camera (that is where I started). 
    Has full manual mode and and Apature/shutter speed priority modes. 8.5mpix is enough to take some great pictures you just can crop as much.
    A 350D was my first DSLR too, I've still got it and hope my daughter will show an interest in it too.
    However I'd recommend at least a 400D in order to get a decent screen size for reviewing the photos (the 350d screen really is tiny).
    FYI You'd need at least a 450D if you wanted to be using SD cards rather than CF cards, and you'd need at least a 500D if she might want to do video as well.
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
    edited May 2018
    Lodious said:

You're absolutely right as 80% of a great shot is light and composition. What a fully manual camera will teach her is the use of shutter speeds, ISO settings and aperture and how they impact on a photo. 
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553

I bought a cheap DSLR a couple of years back for myself. I got a secondhand  650D which might be an idea fro your daughter.

You've already got lenses so don't need a kit and bodies seem to go for a couple of hundred quid, Two things that might make it useful - it has an excellent flip out touch screen - 14 year olds don't understand screens that you can't touch. Secondly, it also takes excellent video, I know the primary use is to learn photography but the video could be a useful secondary benefit.

• BudgieBudgie Frets: 2100
    edited May 2018
    Wolfetone said:
    Lodious said:

You're absolutely right as 80% of a great shot is light and composition. What a fully manual camera will teach her is the use of shutter speeds, ISO settings and aperture and how they impact on a photo. 
    But a DSLR in manual mode will teach exactly the same and with decent metering onboard. It will also allow the user to experiment and make mistakes without the worry and expense of wasting film.

Any DSLR is pretty decent these days. I shoot Nikon and would probably recommend something like a D3*** plus a decent all rounder lens like the excellent Sigma 17-50mm. If you already have Canon gear, Canon is a no brainier. 
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12361
    I’m guessing the lens you already have is an EF-S fit? As above have a look on MPB for a xxxD model, the latest you can afford for what you want to spend. 
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1942
    Wolfetone said:
    Lodious said:

You can shoot RAW and get full manual control with a suitable app on your phone. I use the Lightroom mobile app and you could do a lot of learning with it. I know mobiles have limitations, but they are great for getting people started in enjoying photography. 

Personally, I'd go for something like a 550D or newer. I had a 400D, then a 550D, and as far as I remember, the 550D was a big step up in terms of IQ. 

I'd buy Canon if that's what you are used to them so you can teach her more easily and you have a flash and lens, unless she has friends which have Nikon kit she can borrow / learn from. 

Personally, I think DSLR's will become pretty unfashionable within the next few years, which might be a good or bad thing depending on how you look at it. 
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1783
    I just passed on my old 350d to stepdaughter along with a couple of prime lenses and we went out for a photo day to get here familiar and loading them onto the Laptop, with a good lens it’s hard to see the limitations. With kids keep it cheap and see if it sticks. I sold a good few pictures taken with that camera to magazines so yes they were not coffee table type presentations but you can get an acceptable magazine cover shot with something as basic as that.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11891
    Lodious said:

true now, but the used DSLRs are cheaper than the good system cameras
    boogieman said:
    I’m guessing the lens you already have is an EF-S fit? As above have a look on MPB for a xxxD model, the latest you can afford for what you want to spend. 
    it's a 75-300 IS, so not really a default lens
    Lodious said:
    Wolfetone said:
    Lodious said:

You can shoot RAW and get full manual control with a suitable app on your phone. I use the Lightroom mobile app and you could do a lot of learning with it. I know mobiles have limitations, but they are great for getting people started in enjoying photography. 

Personally, I'd go for something like a 550D or newer. I had a 400D, then a 550D, and as far as I remember, the 550D was a big step up in terms of IQ. 

I'd buy Canon if that's what you are used to them so you can teach her more easily and you have a flash and lens, unless she has friends which have Nikon kit she can borrow / learn from. 

Personally, I think DSLR's will become pretty unfashionable within the next few years, which might be a good or bad thing depending on how you look at it. 
    they already have for me, I moved to Fuji-X

Even the old 5D is cheap used

Looks like an old 450D and 18-55 would be cheap

Or perhaps I should get a cheap used Fuji-X body? Nah, I'd have to lend her my decent XF lenses, and get paranoid about them

hmmm

a cheap Canon 450D + 18-55   (£84 + £39), or cheaper models available

or a Fuji XC 16-50 for £129 and a Fuji X-A1 for £109. hmm up to £240 already

hmmm I fancy around £100 to see if she really is interested to learn it properly. She gave up sax lessons after I bought her a new Sax
  • I’ve got an Oly EPL1 doing nowt but no viewfinder. Produces superb pics but probably not ‘proper’ enough.

you can have it for throwaway money if suitable.
  • celentiumcelentium Frets: 356
    Canon 5D would be an excellent camera to get her started. Plus it's tough and hardy.

I use a 5D as my main camera and my 60D as a backup.

IMO you don't need to spend a penny.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26961
    I’ve got an Oly EPL1 doing nowt but no viewfinder. Produces superb pics but probably not ‘proper’ enough.

you can have it for throwaway money if suitable.

That was my first "proper" camera - did me no harm at all. I'm now firmly a Fuji shooter, and still mostly use aperture priority but fully understand how to set ISO & shutter if I need to. 

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    celentium said:
    Canon 5D would be an excellent camera to get her started. Plus it's tough and hardy.

I use a 5D as my main camera and my 60D as a backup.

IMO you don't need to spend a penny.
    I sold the 5D years ago

just found my old 500N with a lens I forgot fitted on it: 
    a 28-80 EF USM IV
    so on an EF-S camera, that is like  45mm - 128mm, so a good mid-range zoom

I also still own the 75-300 EF, which is a monster zoom on the EF-S

and a 550EX flash

SO I reckon I'd need something more wide angle, and an EF-S Body